Wisconsin WR Quintez Cephus taking leave of absence from team...

Wisconsin newspapers and radio should be writing and voicing scalding reviews about the behavior of college athletes and the culture in Madison. Isn't that the way it is EVERYWHERE?

It all depends on how you interpret Title IX and then interpret if the school's actions or lack of actions were consistent with the requirements of the law.

Someone could certainly try to argue that a school failed to act by choosing not to suspend a player from a team, because that would have been in the best interests of protecting the student body from sexual abuse. I have no idea if that is a logical or legally relevant argument ... but schools are all about risk mitigation when it comes to this stuff.

It’s not required by Title IX. It’s about public relations. Here is an article relevant to MN.

https://theathletic.com/264135/2018...hletic-department-officials-must-stand-aside/

You have to understand that many (including our own frat2017) have been fed misinformation about the number of false allegations (you’ll hear 2 percent from special interest groups) that feed into the public demand for instant punishment. Some schools may be more willing to stand and say wait for all the evidence to come in, while others (eg at MN) have no stomach for standing for the accused because it’s (naturally) the hard thing to do. Pick a side.

It’s not required by Title IX. It’s about public relations. Here is an article relevant to MN.

https://theathletic.com/264135/2018...hletic-department-officials-must-stand-aside/

You have to understand that many (including our own frat2017) have been fed misinformation about the number of false allegations (you’ll hear 2 percent from special interest groups) that feed into the public demand for instant punishment. Some schools may be more willing to stand and say wait for all the evidence to come in, while others (eg at MN) have no stomach for standing for the accused because it’s (naturally) the hard thing to do. Pick a side.

“Your stats are wrong but I’m not going to give you any different stats”

“Your stats are wrong but I’m not going to give you any different stats”

Your 2 percent stat was an anecdote in a book written in the 70s. There was never any study or data behind it but it’s become urban legend to people that never want to look at the source data.

Actual reviews show percentages significantly higher. It’s all available via the google mechanism. If you wish to get all your knowledge from special interest groups, industry lobbyists, trade associations I don’t know what to tell you except be a little more deliberate and circumspect. If you continue to push misinformation then I can only conclude it’s for political reasons. Fine, but be upfront about it.

Pretty sure PJ has suspended guys for drugs and other minor offenses (under the table) before. Under Wisconsin’s policy I don’t think that’s possible.

I think coaches should be able to suspend players for whatever they want and I’m unsure if that’s possible in Wisconsin’s system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not impossible they choose to allow what they allow, a coach can always put their foot down, they ultimately decide who is on the field, I know Alvarez runs the show but he's not wearing the head set on the sidelines on Saturday. As for the reporter, the Badgers are all that town has, you cross them, good luck getting your story. Here, the press has much more leverage

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I do not believe you understood my argument for why this statement may not matter...

I think I understand it fine but feel free to expand on your comment - some schools may suspend prior to an investigation or during for legal CYA and public relations reasons. It’s the easier route when the accused typically have few resources to fight back in a legal sense. Administrator 101.

It's not impossible they choose to allow what they allow, a coach can always put their foot down, they ultimately decide who is on the field, I know Alvarez runs the show but he's not wearing the head set on the sidelines on Saturday. As for the reporter, the Badgers are all that town has, you cross them, good luck getting your story. Here, the press has much more leverage

Wisconsin's policy is an athletic department policy that was set down in 2003. The policy applies in criminal cases, when an athlete has been arrested or charged. So in these cases it's not really up to the coaches' discretion when a player plays. There's an athletic department panel that determines the discipline. I'm assuming that if there are issues like fighting with other players in the locker room, then the discipline is up to the head coach.

https://uwbadgers.com/sports/2017/8/10/policies-student-athlete-discipline-policy.aspx?id=1336

It's a good thing to have a set of guidelines like this. No program is immune to bad behavior. The important thing is that the program responds correctly, doesn't try to hide or lie or be shady, or favor star players.

Wisconsin's policy is an athletic department policy that was set down in 2003. The policy applies in criminal cases, when an athlete has been arrested or charged. So in these cases it's not really up to the coaches' discretion when a player plays. There's an athletic department panel that determines the discipline. I'm assuming that if there are issues like fighting with other players in the locker room, then the discipline is up to the head coach.

https://uwbadgers.com/sports/2017/8/10/policies-student-athlete-discipline-policy.aspx?id=1336

It's a good thing to have a set of guidelines like this. No program is immune to bad behavior. The important thing is that the program responds correctly, doesn't try to hide or lie or be shady, or favor star players.

Pointed this out in post #8.

I think I understand it fine but feel free to expand on your comment - some schools may suspend prior to an investigation or during for legal CYA and public relations reasons. It’s the easier route when the accused typically have few resources to fight back in a legal sense. Administrator 101.

Agreed. But my point was that it may not be correct for you to be dismissive of this strategy simply because Title IX doesn’t explicitly require the school to do that specific thing in its language.

My overarching point is that many laws are written vaguely on purpose, and I believe Title IX falls into that category. So just because a law doesn’t explicitly require/allow/forbid a specific thing doesn’t automatically mean the law would not apply in a court room or that the opposition wouldn’t attempt to apply it.

Agreed. But my point was that it may not be correct for you to be dismissive of this strategy simply because Title IX doesn’t explicitly require the school to do that specific thing in its language.

My overarching point is that many laws are written vaguely on purpose, and I believe Title IX falls into that category. So just because a law doesn’t explicitly require/allow/forbid a specific thing doesn’t automatically mean the law would not apply in a court room or that the opposition wouldn’t attempt to apply it.

Yes, it doesn’t explicitly define the process for each school.

Unrelated, out of curiosity I visited Buckyville and the overall sentiment there (small sample of course) was wait and see for the process to play out, in contrast to the instant conviction our players have received here. Our fan base seems far more sensitive to public opinion.

"You see, instead, I am going to organize… a special, blue-ribbon fact-finding commission… made up of myself and, uh, Miss Betty Childs, and we will get to the bottom of this dastardly deed...."

In all seriousness, I guess I'm not a fan that it's not up to the coaches' discretion, just because a crime wasn't committed. The coach should determine how he wants to run his ship. As long as it's consistent.

At the same time, I don't like the way the EOAA at the U handled things, immediately throwing everyone under the bus, but the students get their chance to appeal, only after it's too late in terms of public perception.

I got no solutions; I'm just going to yell at the clouds....

"You see, instead, I am going to organize… a special, blue-ribbon fact-finding commission… made up of myself and, uh, Miss Betty Childs, and we will get to the bottom of this dastardly deed...."

In all seriousness, I guess I'm not a fan that it's not up to the coaches' discretion, just because a crime wasn't committed. The coach should determine how he wants to run his ship. As long as it's consistent.

At the same time, I don't like the way the EOAA at the U handled things, immediately throwing everyone under the bus, but the students get their chance to appeal, only after it's too late in terms of public perception.

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

According to Madison's post, he said "Wisconsin's policy is an athletic department policy that was set down in 2003. The policy applies in criminal cases, when an athlete has been arrested or charged. So in these cases it's not really up to the coaches' discretion when a player plays. There's an athletic department panel that determines the discipline."

I guess I interpret that a coach can only do something if a charge has occurred.

I may totally be incorrect & will be happy to be corrected if that's the case.

According to Madison's post, he said "Wisconsin's policy is an athletic department policy that was set down in 2003. The policy applies in criminal cases, when an athlete has been arrested or charged. So in these cases it's not really up to the coaches' discretion when a player plays. There's an athletic department panel that determines the discipline."

I guess I interpret that a coach can only do something if a charge has occurred.

I may totally be incorrect & will be happy to be corrected if that's the case.

In these situations (criminal cases arrested/charged) suspension is automatic, the coach doesn't do it. The policy spells out exactly when it applies.

Coach has discretion in other situations, but not these.

Yes, it doesn’t explicitly define the process for each school.

Unrelated, out of curiosity I visited Buckyville and the overall sentiment there (small sample of course) was wait and see for the process to play out, in contrast to the instant conviction our players have received here. Our fan base seems far more sensitive to public opinion.

Another aspect is that the coaching staff may truly and honestly not be aware about it. Just because a player does something, does not automatically pop up as an alert on the coaches' phones. See last week's Hard Knocks as an example of what I mean.

Now once the staff is aware of an incident, if there is not yet an active investigation -- by either a police dept or by the school -- then I have no problem letting the player stay participating on the team until such time as one begins. Once an investigation is active ... that's where you might need to think about how this could be an unwelcome distraction for the team, etc.

I’m more of the opinion to not upend one’s life without a solid reason. The coaching or admin staff can suspend if they wish but suspending based on allegations only is overreach unless there is a pattern of behavior or they have personal knowledge to think it’s legitimate. It all comes back to “optics” and perhaps over sensitivity with that. As I said the easier road is to throw the individual under the bus than deal with the angry mob. Simple math, it seems.

Madison has a whole lot more than the Badger football team. Shows you've never been here. We swim, sail, fish, boat, ski, in the summer months, we ice fish, ice boat in the winter months. In between, we enjoy our weather, and whatever Badger sport is playing at the time. BTW, Alvarez has NOT worn a headset since he retired from coaching. Those of you who believe Alvarez is still pulling the strings regarding what goes on the football field every Saturday are living in Lalaland. It hasn't happened since he quit as coach. He's hired, and given advice to idiots like Bielema, and Andersen BUT that is all that he's given. Dream again.

Last edited:

Did I read correctly on here that his dad was killed execution style?

Has it been mentioned that he has been well thought of well before he got to Wisconsin, is as good a student as he is an athlete, and is well liked by his teammates? Seems to me, upandunder you want to make implications.

Madison has a whole lot more than the Badger football team. Shows you've never been here. We swim, sail, fish, boat, ski, in the summer months, we ice fish, ice boat in the winter months. In between, we enjoy our weather, and whatever Badger sport is playing at the time. BTW, Alvarez has NOT worn a headset since he retired from coaching. Those of you who believe Alvarez is still pulling the strings regarding what goes on the football field every Saturday are living in Lalaland. It hasn't happened since he quit as coach. He's hired, and given advice to idiots like Bielema, and Andersen BUT that is all that he's given. Dream again.

Wow. you REALLY believe this ?

Wow. you REALLY believe this ?

Funny that Alvarez announced the suspension too and not someone else (I.E. the football coach or PR/SID)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote for ROTN reference

Top Bottom