Brian Kelly on the Hot Seat

Two things. It was organic to the U program and Kill did not bring it in his carpetbag.
It had some meaning to the past history with Memorial Stadium and tied in to TCF.
I assumed Fleck would come up with a new “slogan” for a new job in the B1G.
The cult of personality with coaches turns me off. Case in point, the Jerrysota shirts.
John Anderson is the only coach over there that deserves that reverence.
That being said, I was thrilled they hired PJ. The right guy at the right time......
hopefully!

A difference in search of a distinction

I don’t think anyone has an issue with RTB per se as it’s an inspiring message. The issue is the giant oar on the helmet, the RTB slogan in similar or larger font than MN or SUM, etc. Most slogans on uniforms are pretty subtle helmet stickers rather than becoming front and center branding. It’s a debatable thing and some feel stronger about it than others. It is PJs personal brand and it will leave if/when he does which is perhaps part of the angst.

+1000
Even if he stays for 20 years, I will never be ok with the oar(beaver tail) on the helmet or any of the slogans being more prominent than the M, Ski-U-Mah or Golden Gophers. We could win a BIG title and or a National Title and I will still feel the same way. It is the U of M Golden Gophers and always will be.

I was watching the replay of the bowl game vs Central Michigan last week and noticed that we had brick by brick on our helmets. I don’t remember the outrage over that.

If Jerry Kill had showed up and put that on the uniforms before he coached a game, and it was his own personal brand taken from his time an UNI, then there might have been some outrage. But it wasn't. Was it.

There is a pretty big difference between Row the Boat and how PJ explains vs Jerrysota.

I have no issue with Row the Boat. I think it's great. It still has NO place on the University of Minnesota Football uniforms.

I have no issue with Row the Boat. I think it's great. It still has NO place on the University of Minnesota Football uniforms.

Absolutely correct. It is embarrassing as hell. A sticker on the back would be fine.

But it does have a place on them... right where they put it.

Yes it is on the uniform. Right where they put it. That does not mean it should be there. Thank our rock soli ....er weak kneed AD for not knowing the difference between the University of Minnesota and Western Michigan University and personal branding. Just because he’s willing to whore out our uniforms doesn’t mean we should accept it. I get you don’t care. Many people do.

Felt the same way when Joel Maturi had the Dinty Moore Beef Stew lumberjack walking around on the sidelines and picking up “the Axe”. No place for it. Still happened. Didn’t make it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the rumors I have heard are true, the only reason we were able to land PJ in the first place was Coyles capitulation on RTB and the rebranding. PJ had the pen in his hand to sign with Oregon but they wouldnt budge on him bringing RTB to their uniforms/brand/etc.

I see it as a double edged sword. Do I love the RTB on the uniforms in lieu of our traditions...? no. Does it mean the odds of him leaving for a "better" job are lower/harder...? yes.
I love what he does off the field more than anything else, and our recruiting appears to be reflecting that. I am withholding judgement on his x's and o's tho. Should be a fun ride regardless.

Last edited:

If the rumors I have heard are true, the only reason we were able to land PJ in the first place was Coyles capitulation on RTB and the rebranding. PJ had the pen in his hand to sign with Oregon but they wouldnt budge on him bringing RTB to their uniforms/brand/etc.

I see it as a double edged sword. Do I love the RTB on the uniforms in lieu of our traditions...? no. Does it mean the odds of him leaving for a "better" job are lower/harder...? yes.
I love what he does off the field more than anything else, and our recruiting appears to be reflecting that. I am withholding judgement on his x's and o's tho. Should be a fun ride regardless.

Preposterous Statement material right there...nice try though.

Top Bottom