Brian Kelly on the Hot Seat

John Galt

Reaction score
Looks like Notre Dame's coach needs a big year to stay with the Irish. https://sports.yahoo.com/hot-brian-kellys-seat-notre-dame-georgia-loss-060113316.html

Would love to see both ND and Michigan collapse this year.

Glad we don't have a coach with this type of attitude.

Here was the Notre Dame transcript of an exchange between Laken Litman of the Indianapolis Star and Kelly.
Litman: Obviously you made a ton of changes, changed the culture, everything. But obviously, you lost and at the very end, kind of like last year, seven of eight losses, how do you –
Kelly: What’s the question?
Litman: I’m getting to it.
Kelly: Well, get to the question.
Litman: How do you keep this from snowballing?
Kelly: It’s not going to snowball. Next question.
Litman: Well, what exactly will be different, I guess?
Kelly: There’s nothing different. I go to work every day, and I coach my football team.
Litman: OK.
Kelly: Is that – is that good enough for you?
Litman: Yeah, I was just asking about how it was different from last year’s losing by one possession.
Kelly: OK.
Litman: Tonight was also like that, so I was just wondering.
Kelly: Losing by one possession?
Litman: Yeah.
Kelly: No, it was one point.
One point is, of course, one possession. But by this time Kelly wasn’t there to go along to get along anymore. He glared at Litman, snapping his answers. A snide edge replaced the feigned serenity, and then he walked off.

Maybe P.J. will get a chance to coach Quinn Carroll after all. Before you get excited, that could be in South Bend. :confused:

I truly admire those coaches that can pleasantly answer inane questions from the poop-flinging sensationalists. Every man has his limit.

True feelings can be reflected in the timeless press conferences of Jerry Burns, Dennis Green, Mike Gundy, Belichick, Saban among others. Of course those outbursts become news as well.

Maybe P.J. will get a chance to coach Quinn Carroll after all. Before you get excited, that could be in South Bend. :confused:

ND fans/boosters are too arrogant to hire someone like PJ who wants complete control of everything. They'll likely get an assistant from a powerhouse or a solid p5 coach like NC State's coach, or maybe even Jeff Brohm? A lot of people from other fanbases hate PJ because he's consistantly happy and energetic. ND fan base is not looking for that. Would be funny to see him justify a 5 win year 0 at ND though. They'd be livid.

Looks like Notre Dame's coach needs a big year to stay with the Irish. https://sports.yahoo.com/hot-brian-kellys-seat-notre-dame-georgia-loss-060113316.html

Here was the Notre Dame transcript of an exchange between Laken Litman of the Indianapolis Star and Kelly.
Litman: Obviously you made a ton of changes, changed the culture, everything. But obviously, you lost and at the very end, kind of like last year, seven of eight losses, how do you –
Kelly: There’s nothing different. I go to work every day, and I coach my football team.
Litman: Yeah, I was just asking about how it was different from last year’s losing by one possession.
One point is, of course, one possession. But by this time Kelly wasn’t there to go along to get along anymore. He glared at Litman, snapping his answers. A snide edge replaced the feigned serenity, and then he walked off.

Year old article. Went 10-3 last year and was just outside top 10. There's always speculation about ND HC.

Ask dick questions, get dick answers. I wouldn't have been any less of a dick back to him either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if boat oars are acceptable on the helmets at Notre Dame?

ND fans/boosters are too arrogant to hire someone like PJ who wants complete control of everything. They'll likely get an assistant from a powerhouse or a solid p5 coach like NC State's coach, or maybe even Jeff Brohm? A lot of people from other fanbases hate PJ because he's consistantly happy and energetic. ND fan base is not looking for that. Would be funny to see him justify a 5 win year 0 at ND though. They'd be livid.

I honestly doubt other fan bases "hate" PJ Fleck. If anything, most of them don't take him seriously.

If he wins here, maybe they will.

Until that point his insistence on creating an entirely new lexicon for football, his constant miss-use of words, and putting his personal brand ahead of the school and on the uniforms (which illustrates the weakness of the administrators at both Western Michigan and Minnesota, by the way, and for which he deserves credit for being able to convince the schools to go along with it - even though I think it's ridiculous, and if I were AD I would have laughed him and that request out of my office - the fact that he's convinced schools to forgo their identify for his takes some serious salesmanship) will prevent him from getting the next gig until he actually is proven and not just the next Daryl Hazel out of the MAC.

My $.02.

Brian Kelly did what he had to do this fall to earn a ninth season in South Bend. But will it be enough to save his job if the Irish take another step backwards in 2018?
Coming off a 4-8 season that had him firmly on the hot seat heading into 2017, Kelly lured Mike Elko away from Wake Forest and Mike Long from Memphis. The new coordinators injected life into what was a talented but underachieiving group. The result was a 9-3 regular season that saw the Fighting Irish in the College Football Playoff conversation as late as early November.
Up until the Miami game, it was shaping up as another potential storybook season. The Irish reeled off a seven-game winning streak that included four victories over ACC opponents. In early September, Notre Dame hosted Georgia and dueled the College Football Playoff-bound Bulldogs to a 20-19 final score.
The UGA loss didn’t hurt Notre Dame’s Playoff chances. But Kelly’s squad got blown out on the road at Miami and Stanford in two of its last three outings, relegating the Irish to yet another disappointing finish.

https://accsports.com/acc-news/brian-kelly-notre-dame-2018/

It’s interesting that Kelly survived the death of the student videographer, among other scandals, considering today’s coaches are held to an expectation of “Minority Report” Pre-Cog ability, and the hoopla around the DJ Durkin staff abuse allegations.

I don’t think he’d enjoy such a long leash at this point. The honeymoon has passed and the demerits are building. The championship game run is far in the rear view mirror.

Kelly’s 10 wins last year bought him 2018.

If he wins 6 or less this year, he’s gone. If he wins 9+ he is probably safe.

7 or 8 wins is probably where it gets interesting and could go either way.

It’s interesting that Kelly survived the death of the student videographer, among other scandals, considering today’s coaches are held to an expectation of “Minority Report” Pre-Cog ability, and the hoopla around the DJ Durkin staff abuse allegations.

I don’t think he’d enjoy such a long leash at this point. The honeymoon has passed and the demerits are building. The championship game run is far in the rear view mirror.

Don’t forget the tragic death of a fake girlfriend. That whole thing was Onion worthy.

Brian Kelley getting fired would be huge for us. Would be late in season. Brian Callahan will display improvement in Oline group. Further Quinn Carroll and John Olmstad who were both high on us were committed there. Not saying we’d get them but this is only chance

How did Michigan get into your comment, but you leave out Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State?

I honestly doubt other fan bases "hate" PJ Fleck. If anything, most of them don't take him seriously.

Until that point his insistence on creating an entirely new lexicon for football, his constant miss-use of words, and putting his personal brand ahead of the school and on the uniforms (which illustrates the weakness of the administrators at both Western Michigan and Minnesota, by the way, and for which he deserves credit for being able to convince the schools to go along with it - even though I think it's ridiculous, and if I were AD I would have laughed him and that request out of my office - the fact that he's convinced schools to forgo their identify for his takes some serious salesmanship) will prevent him from getting the next gig until he actually is proven and not just the next Daryl Hazel out of the MAC.

My $.02.

That's my take on it, too. I'm pretty surprised that his -isms are now on the walls everywhere. It had better work out.

How did Michigan get into your comment, but you leave out Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State?

OSU, Penn St and Michigan St will all have coaches returning next year no matter what their records are on the field. I’m sure Harbaugh is back at Michigan as well, but the natives are getting a little restless. If Michigan only won 6-7 games this year and loses again to OSU, he’ll be very uncomfortable heading into 2019.

OSU, Penn St and Michigan St will all have coaches returning next year no matter what their records are on the field. I’m sure Harbaugh is back at Michigan as well, but the natives are getting a little restless. If Michigan only won 6-7 games this year and loses again to OSU, he’ll be very uncomfortable heading into 2019.

Michigan fans are behind Jim. There is no restlessness. Even if the worst happens they're going down with the ship with Jim (granted they'll likely be fine).

My $.02.
I agree. The oar crap makes me want to hurl.

I was watching the replay of the bowl game vs Central Michigan last week and noticed that we had brick by brick on our helmets. I don’t remember the outrage over that.

I was watching the replay of the bowl game vs Central Michigan last week and noticed that we had brick by brick on our helmets. I don’t remember the outrage over that.

Two things. It was organic to the U program and Kill did not bring it in his carpetbag.
It had some meaning to the past history with Memorial Stadium and tied in to TCF.
I assumed Fleck would come up with a new “slogan” for a new job in the B1G.
The cult of personality with coaches turns me off. Case in point, the Jerrysota shirts.
John Anderson is the only coach over there that deserves that reverence.
That being said, I was thrilled they hired PJ. The right guy at the right time......
hopefully!

Thanks for clarifying. I was wondering what the connection was.

Two things. It was organic to the U program and Kill did not bring it in his carpetbag.
It had some meaning to the past history with Memorial Stadium and tied in to TCF.
The cult of personality with coaches turns me off. Case in point, the Jerrysota shirts.
That being said, I was thrilled they hired PJ. The right guy at the right time......
hopefully!

Did Kill come up with the idea of Jerrysota or did someone else? There's a difference between tooting your own horn and someone else tooting it for you.

Did Kill come up with the idea of Jerrysota or did someone else? There's a difference between tooting your own horn and someone else tooting it for you.

There is a pretty big difference between Row the Boat and how PJ explains vs Jerrysota.

hopefully!

I wouldn’t say brick by brick was organic. It was clearly a slogan Kill’s staff used to describe their approach to the program. And it ended up on the helmets.

Was the last staff as frontal about it? Clearly not in public, but it should be obvious to everyone that PJ has a very different personality from Jerry.

I don’t think anyone has an issue with RTB per se as it’s an inspiring message. The issue is the giant oar on the helmet, the RTB slogan in similar or larger font than MN or SUM, etc. Most slogans on uniforms are pretty subtle helmet stickers rather than becoming front and center branding. It’s a debatable thing and some feel stronger about it than others. It is PJs personal brand and it will leave if/when he does which is perhaps part of the angst.

Top Bottom