2018 Gophers in the NFL Thread!

stocker08

Reaction score
Let's start with a recap thanks to TheDailyGopher:

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018...g-camp-edition-vikings-falcons-chargers-lions

It is that time again. All 32 NFL teams have reported to training camp and 90 guys are trying to convince the coaching staffs that they deserve to be on the final 53-man rosters when the end of camp arrives. A new crop of former Gophers have joined the group of established players trying to win a job, and while it will be quite the long shot for most, there are one or two who could surprise and end up on a final NFL roster.

Below are the names of the ex-Gophers currently in NFL training camps and also a few names who are still looking to catch on with a team. I give my prediction for a percent chance they have of making the 53-man roster at the end of camp. I have no real inside information, its just a guess. I’ll update the percentages as camp moves along.

Demarius Travis—Safety —New England Patriots
Travis spent the entire 2017 season on the Patriots practice squad after being signed as an undrafted free agent. He will be in a battle to make the 53-man roster once again, but does have one more season of practice squad eligibility and could return there.

Chance of making the 53-man roster? 5%

MarQueis Gray—Tight End—Miami Dolphins
Gray completed his sixth season in the NFL and second with the Dolphins in 2017. He played in all 16 games and caught one pass for ten yards and ran the ball five times for 14 yards. He has been the Dolphins #2 or #3 tight end for two seasons and even with the drafting of Penn State’s Mike Gesicki he should have a solid hold on one of the backup tight end spots in 2018.

Chance of making the 53-man roster? 80%

Eric Decker—Wide Reciever
This article was written before Air Deck signed with the Patriots. I personally have no idea what will happen here.....seeing as how Decker was cut from the Titans. But he definitely seems like the the kind of tall, sharp route running player that Brady would like as a target.

Maxx Williams— Tight End—Baltimore Ravens
Maxx enters his fourth NFL season just trying to stay healthy. In three previous seasons with the Ravens he has only played in 29 games. Last season coming off of a horrific knee injury in 2016 he played in 11 games and recorded 15 catches for 86 yards and a touchdown. Maxx will have a definite roster battle on his hands as the Ravens took Hayden Hurst out of South Carolina in the first round, and then Mark Andrews out of Oklahoma in the third round. Maxx is the elder statesman of the remaining Ravens tight ends, but that won’t guarantee him a job in a month.

Chance of making the 53-man roster? 50%

Briean Boddy-Calhoun—Cornerback—Cleveland Browns
Boddy-Calhoun enters training camp with a fairly strong hold on a job. BBC started seven of the Browns games in 2017 at cornerback and 39 tackles, and defended six passes. #4 overall draftpick Denzel Ward may try and cut into some of BBC’s time but Boddy-Calhoun has the NFL experience to give him a early leg up into camp.

Chance of making the 53-man roster? 100%

Jalen Myrick—Cornerback—Jacksonville Jaguars
Myrick enters camp in 2018 trying to continue to lock down a roster spot. He played in five games in his rookie season with the Jaguars and had one pass defense in week 15 against the Houston Texans. It won’t be easy for Myrick to earn his spot back, but he knows how to grind out a job in the NFL and can do it again.

Tramaine Brock—Defensive Back—Denver Broncos
Brock had a rough 2017 season after getting cut by the San Francisco 49ers in the off-season due to some legal issues. Those were resolved and Brock ended up signing with the Minnesota Vikings. He played in just 11 games and saw very limited time. Brock has now moved onto Denver where a lot of young players will be looking to win jobs from the veteran.

Eric Murray—Cornerback—Kansas City Chiefs
Murray enters his third NFL training camp with a roster spot relatively secured. He played in 14 games in 2017 for the Chiefs and started two of them. He had 36 tackles, one sack, and five pass defenses a year ago. Murray has excelled on special teams for KC, one reason why his job appears quite secure heading into 2018.

Chance of making the 53-man roster? 95%

Steven Richardson-Defensive Tackle—Los Angeles Chargers
Richardson signed with the Chargers as an undrafted free agent after the 2017 season and is one of a few Gopher rookies who hopefully have a chance to stick in the NFL. It has only been a day or two of training camp, but Richardson has looked good in practice. If he can keep it up, he will have a good shot to make the final roster.

Chances of making the 53-man roster? 45%

Damien Wilson—Linebacker—Dallas Cowboys
Wilson enters his fourth NFL season in 2018 coming off of his best season as a professional. He played in all 16 games for the Cowboys and started nine of them. He recorded 35 tackles, one sack and one pass defensed. Wilson had been playing a lot of special teams for the Cowboys, but emerged into a true 4-3 linebacker in 2017. Hopefully he can continue to grow in 2018.

Chances of making the 53-man roster? 100%

Marcus Sherels—Cornerback/Returner—Minnesota Vikings
Marcus Sherels enters his fifth season in the NFL with the Vikings and once again rumors of his demise are floating around. In almost every previous season there are rumors that Sherels wouldn’t make the final cut as his play at corner back is not as strong as it needs to be. However, he keeps coming back and is arguably one of the best punt returners currently in the NFL. He will be getting pushed by rookie cornerback Mike Hughes in the return game, but early indications seem like Sherels is safe in his punt return spot and Hughes will just return kicks for the time being. But you can never be sure until the final roster is announced.

Chances of making the final 53-man roster? 75%

Ryan Santoso—Punter—Detroit Lions
Santoso was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Lions to push incumbent veteran punter Sam Martin in training camp. Martin brings in a bit of baggage and was suspended for six games last season for an off the field incident. From all indications Santoso has looked good early, but will it be enough to get the Lions to go with the untested rookie? Lets hope so, but the cautionary tale of Peter Mortell lingers long in Gophers fans memories.

Chance of making the final 53-man roster? 40%

Nate Wozniak—Offensive Tackle—New Orleans Saints
No that’s not a typo, the Saints have moved the former Gopher tight end to offensive tackle. The 6’10 Wozi has bulked up to 280 and has the footwork to definitely have potential at the tackle spot. He spent most off the offseason bulking up and eating all he could to get up to an offensive lineman’s typical weight. Will it be enough to get him on the final 53-man roster? I’m guessing not, but hopefully a practice squad spot is within his reach.

Chance of making the final 53-man roster? 5%

De’Vondre Campbell—Linebacker—Atlanta Falcons
Campbell enters his third NFL season as a budding star in the league. Cambell played and started all 16 games in 2017 for the Falcons and recorded 92 tackles, 2 sacks and forced a fumble. He has a starting spot locked down and will not need to worry about his spot in camp.

Chance of making the final 53-man roster? 100%

Jonathan Celestin—Linebacker—Atlanta Falcons
After trying out for a few different teams including the Falcons twice, it was officially announced Monday afternoon that the Falcons had signed Celestin. He joins his former college teammate in the Falcons linebacking corps, which will give him a slight leg up. But it will be a very long task to see Celestin making the final Falcons roster. His best chance is to impress in camp and try and earn a practice squad spot.

Chance of making the final 53-man roster? 2%

Ra’Shede Hageman--Defensive Tackle
Big Shede has had some personal issues arise in the last few years that have made him less popular in the NFL After getting into some legal trouble a year ago which has since been resolved Hageman was cut by the Atlanta Falcons. He did not play in 2017. He worked out in May for the New England Patriots, but then in June, Hageman was arrested for Suspicion of DWI in Hennepin County. He remains unemployed.

BBC has been looking great. I bring it up because he's had a couple pass breakups in the Cleveland/Buffalo preseason game on right now. The commentators gave him a good 30 seconds of praise for his play so far.

And.....I love the Falcons. They continue to bring Gophers on board.

And.....I love the Falcons. They continue to bring Gophers on board.

hqdefault.jpg

I think it was a few days ago but I think I recall hearing that Decker had irritated some folks, Brady included, with some drops in practice. Not making a good first impression.

Not sure if he's still on the roster even but he didn't register a catch in yesterday's preseason game.

I think it was a few days ago but I think I recall hearing that Decker had irritated some folks, Brady included, with some drops in practice. Not making a good first impression.

Not sure if he's still on the roster even but he didn't register a catch in yesterday's preseason game.

I read that as well. Probably just needs a little more time to understand the offense considering he's new. The third preseason game should give us a little more info.

The Pats game was on in the restaurant we were at and Decker and Brady seemed very chummy on the sideline. No telling if he will stick with the team but in theory he would seem like a good fit for them as he is a very good route runner. Hopefully he makes it work and becomes a key part of their offense.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sherels entering his fifth season...?

Awesome to see Boddy-Calhoun out there making plays. Dude was awesome to watch when he was here. Him forcing the ball out and recovering vs Nebraska, legendary.

I picked up De’Vondre Campbell in my fantasy league. Each team starts three defensive players and i have a hunch he is going to have a big year (lots of tackles, a few sacks, and a few turnovers produced).

It’s a shame Hageman appears to be letting his talent go to waste.

Nice play by BBC but good Lord that was a wounded duck. Probably would have been PI on that corner if it was a catchable ball.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

K.J. Maye re-signs with the Patriots after being out of football since being cut by the Patriots in 2017 training camp. Might be a long shot to stick this time around as well, but always good to get another look.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/...eason-week-4-linebacker-fullback-swing-tackle

Jon Celestin has had a really strong preseason for the Falcons after being a late free agent sign. Looking like he's got a practice squad spot locked up, maybe even a push for a spot on the 53. Or he could go the way of BBC and get picked up by another team after cutdowns.

Linebacker
The Falcons have four or five guys locked in, but Jonathan Celestin has made such a strong push for a roster spot that the team may well elect to cut a player elsewhere to make room for him. If Celestin is a practice squad player for these Falcons, instead, then I think Atlanta’s pretty settled with Kemal Ishmael as their fifth linebacker.

Kobe McCrary made one catch for two yards in the Vikings' preseason game against Seattle. He is considered a long shot to make the 53-man roster or practice squad. Wish him luck with the Vikings or being claimed on waivers by another team.

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-sign-fb-kobe-mccrary-and-g-kareem-are

I was really surprised that the Vikings brought McCrary in. Especially since the talks right now are between Thomas and Boone.....both of which look very good. But.....it's nice to that he's getting some time in with the team. It would be great if he could latch on with the practice squad.

I was really surprised that the Vikings brought McCrary in. Especially since the talks right now are between Thomas and Boone.....both of which look very good. But.....it's nice to that he's getting some time in with the team. It would be great if he could latch on with the practice squad.
Vikings cut McCrary today.

Secretly I hope the Bolts cut SRich so the Vikings can sign him. I think he's going to be very good for someone.

Rough day for former Gophers

Myrick cut, Maye and Travis cut, McCrary cut, Celestin cut, Santoso cut, Woz cut and most surprisingly Richardson cut

Last edited:

Rough day for former Gophers

Myrick cut, Maye and Travis cut, McCrary cut, Celestin cut, Santoso cut, Woz cut and most surprisingly Richardson cut

Myrick, Travis, Celestin and Richardson have to be signed to the practice squads ASAP I would assume

Top Bottom