Mackey and Judd (and Doogie)

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Mackey is out, but Judd asked Doogie if there was any reason for optimism this year with the Gophers.

The question alone gives me the "there is no reason to pay attention to this team" media vibe this town loves to give the Gophers. Like, don't bother me unless they are CFP bound.

Then Doogie responds with "Yes. There is."
He then proceed to say if things go right there is an "outside chance for 6 wins".

Doogie then says in 2019 or 2020 that this team could compete for a Big Ten West Division.
Then producer rolls the U of M Rouser music.

I heard part of this convo. No specifics really for what is meant by competing in 2019-2020 so pretty wide open for being competitive for pretty much anything. My definition of being competitive are likely totally different from many people and it depends on what goal we are talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It just makes logical sense that next year and the year after will be when we make the jump

I agree that bigger strides should occur in 2019 and 2020.

I was annoyed with the tone of the conversation of "is there any hope". For most of the games there's hope.
It's not like we'll be 18 point dogs for 6 of the 12 games.

I, personally, am the least excited this year than I can ever remember. I really don't see much reason to think the Gophers are going to be good or pull off any surprise wins. Heck, even PJ has said we are going to stink this year. I hope I am wrong, but when the coach is talking down the season, you figure it is likely going to be a long, ugly season. If that is the case, expect to get even more offended with sports talk radio in the cities when discussing the Gophers.

I, personally, am the least excited this year than I can ever remember. I really don't see much reason to think the Gophers are going to be good or pull off any surprise wins. Heck, even PJ has said we are going to stink this year. I hope I am wrong, but when the coach is talking down the season, you figure it is likely going to be a long, ugly season. If that is the case, expect to get even more offended with sports talk radio in the cities when discussing the Gophers.

You were more excited last year? When we chose two QBs? One who we had seen before ... and was not so great?

You were more excited last year? When we chose two QBs? One who we had seen before ... and was not so great?

We did win 9 games the previous season. In addition, Croft and Rhoda had been around and weren't total newbies. Also, there was no reason we should not have gone to a bowl game last year, except for bad coaching, IMO.

We did win 9 games the previous season. In addition, Croft and Rhoda had been around and weren't total newbies. Also, there was no reason we should not have gone to a bowl game last year, except for bad coaching, IMO.

The "won 9 games the previous season" line makes me laugh. Heartily. It's as if people assume that another 9-win season would follow if Claeys had still been coaching. Not guaranteed.

You sound like Spoofin'.

The "won 9 games the previous season" line makes me laugh. Heartily. It's as if people assume that another 9-win season would follow if Claeys had still been coaching. Not guaranteed.

You sound like Spoofin'.

I didn't say that we should have had another 9 win season, but the team was not as incompetent as PJ made it look. Like I said, we should have won at least 6 games last season (notice I did not say 9 games) and the reason we didn't was due to poor coaching, IMO.

Last edited:

You sound like Spoofin'.

Last year at this time some people expected nine wins based on the previous season, but very few. By the same token, few were expecting five.

How about a reason being Croft and Rhoda performed poorly?

I don't this mentality that a team always just gets better or not worse because they won X .... is that just a justification for what you want? Just watching sports for a bit would tell you that it doesn't matter...

How about a reason being Croft and Rhoda performed poorly?

I don't this mentality that a team always just gets better or not worse because they won X .... is that just a justification for what you want? Just watching sports for a bit would tell you that it doesn't matter...

Again, I did not expect us to win 9 games last season. I expected us to take a step back, but I did not think we were going to only win 5 games last season. That did surprise me and I think that there were games last season that Claeys would have won.

Link? Source?

Obviously PJ did not say the Gophers are going to stink this season, but he sure is heck is playing down this season. He is talking high about individual players, but as a team, he is keeping expectations low.

I didn't say that we should have had another 9 win season, but the team was not as incompetent as PJ made it look. Like I said, we should have won at least 6 games last season (notice I did not say 9 games) and the reason we didn't was due to poor coaching, IMO.

A team that lost against every solid team we played and exceeded expectations. We didn't have anything that resembled a QB left over. If Claeys is here we maybe win an extra game or two (maybe defense plays to a higher level?) and have less attrition, but long term we will have better success under Fleck. Doesn't mean I like the way Claeys was shown the door.

A team that lost against every solid team we played and exceeded expectations. We didn't have anything that resembled a QB left over. If Claeys is here we maybe win an extra game or two (maybe defense plays to a higher level?) and have less attrition, but long term we will have better success under Fleck. Doesn't mean I like the way Claeys was shown the door.

You don't know that and neither do I. I hope we do have better success under PJ. I just am not sold on him, yet. I am hoping he shows me something this year in order for me to think that he can really turn things around.

I too didn't like the way that Claeys' firing was handled. To be frank, Coyle should have fired Claeys after the Wisconsin loss. Instead he waited and the gophers pull off a great upset against WSU and end with a 9 win season. You just don't see the gophers pull off upset wins like that very often and then you go and fire the coach that did it?! Not a good way to handle it. Plus, you know that firing had to tick off quite a few players.

It is water under the bridge and I hope PJ can win here, because I am tired of a revolving coach's door. If the high energy thing works, I am all for it. But, I just want to see more wins and in that category PJ has yet to deliver. Obviously you have to give the guy 4 years, unless next year the program goes off the rails, which I don't expect. At this point, I am going to exercise patience, but not hold back on my opinion of the program.

Outside of Ryan Burns there is such little coverage of gopher football in this town. Doogie seems to do fly-by gopher interviews every few months but it doesn't take much digging to come up with a 6 (at best) win prediction. You can talk about the program not giving much to write home about but MN hasn't exactly been the home of champions for any sport (Lynx aside). How satisfied are any of you with local sports media coverage for gopher football???

Outside of Ryan Burns there is such little coverage of gopher football in this town. Doogie seems to do fly-by gopher interviews every few months but it doesn't take much digging to come up with a 6 (at best) win prediction. You can talk about the program not giving much to write home about but MN hasn't exactly been the home of champions for any sport (Lynx aside). How satisfied are any of you with local sports media coverage for gopher football???

I think the Strib has been better of late. Running articles on a pretty regular basis. But, no doubt about it, the Vikings dominate the media in this market. And, considering they are coming off an appearance in the conference championship game, and signed a prominent free-agent QB, it's not surprising the Vikes get a lot of coverage.

To grab a bigger share of the media coverage, the Gophers are going to have to do something dramatic. Like beating a Wisconsin, or making it to a better quality bowl game. At the very least the Gophs need to make to a bowl game this year to create some positive buzz.

You missed the code, but to be fair it's quite confusing.

- You are NEVER allowed to say is that you had expectations for last year. Some people were positively giddy when their dire predictions for last season came true and they don't like their genius being besmirched.

- You are allowed to rip Reusse or any radio host or writer for being too negative, but never expect those same posters to think that having positive expectations for this year's team itself is something worthwhile. Usually it is not.

- Confusingly enough you're allowed to say you expect them to be lousy this year without any repercussions! The O.P. certainly does. However you can't do that unless you say how good they will be in the future! If you're not a Season Ticket holder than you can push that expected "good year" to 2020, 2021 or even 2022!

Here's some bonus advice: You're allowed to be happy and praise kids who get into school early and in time for Spring Practice! You are not allowed to then point out that if a kid Redshirts and therefore gets extra year of learning the playbook, practicing, weight training, knowing his teammates etc. he becomes a Sophomore in reality. No, he is to be called a Redshirt Freshman at all times and be thought of and treated as if he got out of High School last week and has no concept what being a College Player is.

None of your thought were outlandish. The public and many Gopher fans probably agree with you. You're allowed to think them, just not post them.

Hope this helps.

Ski- u-mah! Go Gophers! Row the Boat!

You missed the code, but to be fair it's quite confusing.

- You are NEVER allowed to say is that you had expectations for last year. Some people were positively giddy when their dire predictions for last season came true and they don't like their genius being besmirched.

- You are allowed to rip Reusse or any radio host or writer for being too negative, but never expect those same posters to think that having positive expectations for this year's team itself is something worthwhile. Usually it is not.

- Confusingly enough you're allowed to say you expect them to be lousy this year without any repercussions! The O.P. certainly does. However you can't do that unless you say how good they will be in the future! If you're not a Season Ticket holder than you can push that expected "good year" to 2020, 2021 or even 2022!

Here's some bonus advice: You're allowed to be happy and praise kids who get into school early and in time for Spring Practice! You are not allowed to then point out that if a kid Redshirts and therefore gets extra year of learning the playbook, practicing, weight training, knowing his teammates etc. he becomes a Sophomore in reality. No, he is to be called a Redshirt Freshman at all times and be thought of and treated as if he got out of High School last week and has no concept what being a College Player is.

None of your thought were outlandish. The public and many Gopher fans probably agree with you. You're allowed to think them, just not post them.

Hope this helps.

Ski- u-mah! Go Gophers! Row the Boat!

This is a great reference guide. Thank you. However, I will continue to post my opinions, even if they might be negative. Cheers

You sound like Spoofin'.

You're right. It's not like success in the previous season is any indication of talent and how good you'll be the following season. Logical!

I get your strawman, "assume that another 9-win season would follow" would be incredibly stupid, but no one made that argument. They made the argument that Fleck didn't inherit a dumpster fire (see the previous season). That's all. I'm not sure if the point really eludes you or if you're just playing dumb here.

Speaking of Spoofin; what happened to him? He hasn't posted in quite some time.

Speaking of Spoofin; what happened to him? He hasn't posted in quite some time.
Think he got on a kerfuffle with some posters. He had a self induced termination. I liked some of his takes.
Ruppertflywheel, on the other hand, went bonkers. I guess the combination of age, Trump and consecutive losses to Bucky may have been too much for him. He threatened to move to Canada. Not sure they'd take him.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This is a great reference guide. Thank you. However, I will continue to post my opinions, even if they might be negative. Cheers
The Dark Side of the Troll Bridge awaits your crossing...[emoji84]

Think he got on a kerfuffle with some posters. He had a self induced termination. I liked some of his takes.
Ruppertflywheel, on the other hand, went bonkers. I guess the combination of age, Trump and consecutive losses to Bucky may have been too much for him. He threatened to move to Canada. Not sure they'd take him.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Canada hasn't embraced the internet yet. Spoof was a good contributor, hope he makes it back as the season starts.

they lost leidner, who was tom brady compared to the stiffs we ran out there last year.

Also, the entire secondary was drafted into the NFL and three of them started games last year for their teams. We had little coming back in the secondary, and anything we had either got hurt(winfield) or was participating in trains under Claeys watch.

I believe we would have won 3 games under Claeys last year.

Here's what I would like the media to do.

Judd --- Instead of being an idiot and not knowing anything, maybe look into the schedule / odds for 2 minutes to get some sort of grasp on what national perception is before you lead the witness with a negatively toned question.
Doogie - In discussing the team, detail that they have several games that they could be winnable.

I'm predicting 5-7, but I think they have a better chance to be 7-5 than 4-8, so hoping for 6-6 isn't necessarily a ceiling for this team. This is with me watching the starting QB throw about a total of 3 passes view videos on social media.

Despite the fact the team isn't going to win a ton of games, I'm not pessimistic. I'm probably more optimistic this year about the team than I was last year at this time. But it's not for what they'll do this year, it's to see new players and the young core takes steps.

Excited to hopefully see some decent QB play.
Excited for the WR core.
Excited to see what freshman RB stands out when they get a chance.
Anxious to see Winfield back healthy.

they lost leidner, who was tom brady compared to the stiffs we ran out there last year.

Also, the entire secondary was drafted into the NFL and three of them started games last year for their teams. We had little coming back in the secondary, and anything we had either got hurt(winfield) or was participating in trains under Claeys watch.

I believe we would have won 3 games under Claeys last year.

Jeez. why is it so hard for people to grasp basic facts? If Claeys and Sawvell had been coaching in 2017, they would have been coaching their players in their system. A system they were familiar with, and they were recruited to play. And, better or worse, the former staff would have been able to complete the recruiting class with players they selected.

I submit to you that players, playing a system they were recruited to play, and playing under coaches who had selected them to play in that system, would be more effective than they appeared playing in a new system under a different coaching staff.

You're comparing apples to oranges, and then criticizing the apples because they're red and not orange.

If Claeys had been coaching last year, the Gophers would have won at least 6 games. Not because he is a "better" coach than Fleck- but because he would have been running a system that fitted his players.

Last year was just plain wierd if you ask me. It was like the coach was willing the team to a mediocre level in his first year. It was like he was trying to set a low bar, trying to play below what they were capable of to prove some 5 year plan level in year 1. It was like he tore it down below what it was capable of. Head scratcher for me.

Top Bottom