Anyone wanna guess the NMSU line......

Purdue -3 vs NW, I’ll take NW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad we don't start against a conference opponent.

This is a good sign because I think it means Vegas knows something we don’t. That being said, I would hammer NMSU and the points. 21 points might win this game and NMSU is getting more than a field goal.

This is a good sign because I think it means Vegas knows something we don’t. That being said, I would hammer NMSU and the points. 21 points might win this game and NMSU is getting more than a field goal.

NSMU probably covers

I'm glad we don't start against a conference opponent.

Everyone looks great when facing a phantom opponent. The proof is in the actual games. Until we prove we're good, we are just a fantasy.

Thanks for the negativity. Can’t you just let one thing be positive on this site?

Remember it's feed a fever, starve a troll. It's a bit, his icon is a troll for god's sake, if you don't like it feeding into it won't make it go away.

Sadly, still too many days to kick-off...:banghead:

I'm gonna be bold and say we cover the spread. I bet we win by at least 21. Hopefully I didn't just jinx us.

Wyoming plays at NM St on Sat, Aug 25 at 9pm central, and it's on ESPN2.

Suggest people try to tune at least part of that game in (or catch the highlights on Sunday morning), before we take guesses. I'm looking forward to it!

FWIW, Wyoming is run by Craig Bohl, former DC at Nebraska and HC at NDSU (first 3 national titles of the current dominant run at the I-AA level). So they run a power, run up the middle, play-action pass type offense and a 4-3 base defense. That probably won't give our coaches great looks on film, but I do think they will put a beating on NM St physically, if nothing else.

NMSU should cover. We have stunk in our openers as of late, and we have a freshman led offense.

NMSU should cover. We have stunk in our openers as of late, and we have a freshman led offense.

Historically speaking it seems like we come out rusty early on... a lot. Even the TCU game that gets a lot of talk sometimes, both teams looked wobbly.

im not so sure. NW has started slow for the last 15 years. Im taking the trains.

That’s a good point, NW has started slow in recent memory. I just don’t think Purdue will be as good as last year.

FWIW.....McClintock (CFB metrics guy) has:
Gophers 7-5
Record Floor: 4-8
Record Ceiling: 9-3
Projected Spread vs NMSU is 16.24 points and WIN

I don’t think we covered a spread outside of Oregon State last year? Someone correct me on that.

Based on the major changes, question marks on this team it seems particularly difficult to set an “accurate” spread or prediction early in the season. I’ve made more than a few bets over the years but I genuinely don’t know what to expect out of this team. We should expect to win, yes.

NMSU was 7-6 72nd in S&P+ in 2017 so not a total dreg like Buffalo 2016 or OSU 2016/2017. They gave AZ State a scare and defeated New Mexico. Per Connelly NMSU brings back almost all of their defense and his model has us as 11 point favorites. They lost their starting QB however.

I've been watching the videos from NM St that were posted in another thread. That program ended last year on a real high- winning last two regular season games, 1st bowl game in over 50 years, and then winning that bowl game in OT. That can energize a program and its fan base.

And, they have 9 of 11 starters back on defense. If the spread is 16, I might be tempted to bet on NM St covering the spread. I still think this is a game the Gophers can win - but it's not necessarily a game the Gophers "should" win. I could see a 7 to 10 point margin looking a whole lot more likely - unless the FR QB's for the Gophers can really excel right off the bat. But, given that whoever starts will be making their 1st college start, I would not be surprised to see the Gophers take a while to get into some rhythm on offense.

I've been watching the videos from NM St that were posted in another thread. That program ended last year on a real high- winning last two regular season games, 1st bowl game in over 50 years, and then winning that bowl game in OT. That can energize a program and its fan base.

And, they have 9 of 11 starters back on defense. If the spread is 16, I might be tempted to bet on NM St covering the spread. I still think this is a game the Gophers can win - but it's not necessarily a game the Gophers "should" win. I could see a 7 to 10 point margin looking a whole lot more likely - unless the FR QB's for the Gophers can really excel right off the bat. But, given that whoever starts will be making their 1st college start, I would not be surprised to see the Gophers take a while to get into some rhythm on offense.

NMSU was ranked 86 in scoring defense, 74 in total defense, and 100 in TOP against much lower talented teams...a good 40 spots below Gophs defense in each of those.

Yeah, a lot of people fall into the trap of forming opinions on how the team WILL perform, after watching the performance in the first game. Truth is, though, that most teams like garbage-esque for a good portion of their first game.

This one hard to really predict, other than a nice solid win. "They" always say that the biggest improvements come from the first to the second games, so they will have a game under their belts to work off of, but that also means film available, and a short week in a road game for them.

More concerned by the Fresno game - they're no joke, but there is more time to prepare for that one, too.

Top Bottom