Ciarrocca, Weyler, Coughlin, Winfield on BTN with Dinardo, Mason, Griffith, Revsine

swingman

Reaction score
Kirk says QBs doing an elite job...neither guy overwhelmed or hit the wall from handling all the o, the d packagers, the pressure...says offensive depth is deeper across the board...he is sure offense is going to be good, not sure when...hopes it is Vs NMSU...he has the pieces...Ibrahim is solidly the number two RB...has shown he can play...battle is for number 3....sings high praises of Bateman...is going to be a special player...has proved that already...Seth is going to help at WR...Douglas is improved...wr was biggest weakness last year...definitely not anymore...lot of playmakers...last year after Tyler was hurt, press coverage shut us down

Weyler loves what he is seeing from both QBs...excited to see them play

Coughlin said Schlueter is significantly improved and oline as whole has stepped up...says Cashman is going to have a huge year...has gone beyond all expectations

Winfield can play corner, safety or money (like Sam linebacker)

Panel said oline and dline noticeably bigger, better...team very organized, spirited, no dead legs like at other stops...facilities noted as excellent...Revsine said culture is fully installed, branding everywhere...Mason, Griffith, Ciarrocca and Fleck echoed this...

Dinardo sees a 4-0 start as doable...likes Gophers chances in other matchup games (I would guess he sees Purdue, IL, IA, NE, IN as matchups)...wonT take much to win those...QB looks much better, two guys better than anybody from last year...don’t practice like freshmen...looked great in two minute offense

Revsine noted Gophs don’t draw PSU, MSU or MI...Revsine said both lines of scrimmage physically more impressive jumps out at you...Revsine noted fan support was strong

Mason says Smith is an awfully good back, he and oline can take pressure off young QBs...Mason said oline looks a lot better...move feet well...Mason loves Cashman playmaking ability...Mason was impressed by both QBs in Spring game...Mason thinks Douglas pretty solid...

Griffin said oline looks physical and athletic...Griffin said both are outstanding QBs who showed a lot of maturity and leadership...said Bell made some big time plays...

studio guys noted PJ history of seven more wins in year two at WMU...also noted Fleck took over better situation with than Brohm and Allen...highlighted 68% of production returning, 4th best in BIG..lot of talk about 5 straight bowl streak snapped last year...last year QBs play third or fourth worst in Big Ten since 2000...highlighted the RtB mentality and Fleck noting how it can help a team do things like score 54 points against Nebraska

Last edited:

Everyone looks great when facing a phantom opponent. The proof is in the actual games. Until we prove we're good, we are just a fantasy.

Everyone looks great when facing a phantom opponent. The proof is in the actual games. Until we prove we're good, we are just a fantasy.

Thanks for the negativity. Can’t you just let one thing be positive on this site?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Swing. Didn't watch since Dinardo is a huge tool, but appreciate the breakdown.

I'm very heartened by the optimistic tone struck by Ciarrocca recently.

Thanks for the negativity. Can’t you just let one thing be positive on this site?

Remember it's feed a fever, starve a troll. It's a bit, his icon is a troll for god's sake, if you don't like it feeding into it won't make it go away.

I watched BTN last night and enjoyed the show, but I wished that they would have gone unit-by-unit and evaluated the team. Maybe they did that when my kids were having a nerf gun fight and I couldn't hear it.

DiNardo - I don't think he's a tool, but he's been down on the U for years and I think his mind runs on a single track. They could win a national championship and he'd still be saying "but they eat their meals in a hallway!"

I have talked to the moderator about banning Mennosota. Very disappointed if it doesnt happen.

I'm a realist...[emoji41]
Plus, you'll thank me if the kids do better than expected. You'll be happy instead of complaining. So, what I do here is setting you up for happiness. You're welcome. [emoji56]

The tone seemed measured but more optimistic than last year, for certain. Mase is usually a voice of reason and he felt there are building blocks but team will be average at best this season. Ciarroca was pleasantly blunt by saying the WR unit was the weakest on the offense last year, and now the most improved. Said all teams had to do was line up in man and there was nobody to throw to. Combine that with poor hands, poor protection, inexperienced QB in new system and we had a historically low completion percentage in 2017. Ciarocca would like to make a decision this weekend on game 1 starter (in discussion with PJ). DiNardo felt both QBs look better than what we had last year. Coaches feel the QBs ahead of schedule for freshmen players.

Overall the message was one of moderate improvement which is a big plus as far as I’m concerned. If the team/defense stays healthy and the QBs,WR,line mature quickly could end up on the higher end of my 3-8 win range.

Last edited:

I have talked to the moderator about banning Mennosota. Very disappointed if it doesnt happen.
Doc, thanks for your concern. We both want the good for the Gopher Nation. Perhaps someday I will follow you pogrom as you envision it. Until then, quit hitchin' those tidy whitees up so far. Without a yin, you got no yang. [emoji41]
Besides, I'm not wrong. Hope springs eternal until the first game. You want to listen to the whining from the GH faithful...just wait until the team doesn't meet their expectations in the game. At that moment I'll be the positive one. I promise.

Seems harsh. Did you talk to them about all the other "they're gonna suck" this year posters too?

The tone seemed measured but more optimistic than last year, for certain. Mase is usually a voice of reason and he felt there are building blocks but team will be average at best this season. Ciarroca was pleasantly blunt by saying the WR unit was the weakest on the offense last year, and now the most improved. Said all teams had to do was line up in man and there was nobody to throw to. Combine that with poor hands, poor protection, inexperienced QB in new system and we had a historically low completion percentage in 2017. Ciarocca would like to make a decision this weekend on game 1 starter (in discussion with PJ). DiNardo felt both QBs look better than what we had last year. Coaches feel the QBs ahead of schedule for freshmen players.

Overall the message was one of moderate improvement which is a big plus as far as I’m concerned. If the team/defense stays healthy and the QBs,WR,line mature quickly could end up on the higher end of my 3-8 win range.
This^^^^^
Nice analysis PE.

Doc, thanks for your concern. We both want the good for the Gopher Nation. Perhaps someday I will follow you pogrom as you envision it. Until then, quit hitchin' those tidy whitees up so far. Without a yin, you got no yang. [emoji41]
Besides, I'm not wrong. Hope springs eternal until the first game. You want to listen to the whining from the GH faithful...just wait until the team doesn't meet their expectations in the game. At that moment I'll be the positive one. I promise.

I think there are fans who legitimately think discussion boards like this have power over the fortunes of team/recruits instead of on field results or relationships with the coaches.

I continue to maintain this is one of the tamest fan bases around.

Remember it's feed a fever, starve a troll. It's a bit, his icon is a troll for god's sake, if you don't like it feeding into it won't make it go away.
Technically...it's a gnome...[emoji56]

Dinardo sees a 4-0 start as doable...likes Gophers chances in other matchup games (I would guess he sees Purdue, IL, IA, NE, IN as matchups)

Fresno and Maryland are in those "matchup" games, in my opinion (though obviously not in the context of starting out 4-0). Truly, the only wins I "expect" are Illinois, NM St, and Miami OH. The only losses I "expect" are Ohio St and Wisc. That's five of 12. The other 7 completely make or break the season. Maybe you can't even expect Illinois as a win, simply because its a Big Ten team with that level of resources. Fair enough

We got 15 posts on this thread that was dormant until I stirred the caldron. Gopherhole owners...make the check out to Sota. You're welcome. [emoji56]

What do you mean you "talked" to the mod? You sent a DM or an email? Did the mod actually write something back, more than "thank you for your thoughts, we will take it under consideration"?

I wouldn't consider that to be a conversation ...

Bottom line: why do you let him get to you??? His posts don't harm anyone. They don't detract from the GH experience. It's only because you allow them to! Ignore. Him. That's all you have to do. Just ignore him. Don't let him get to you, don't let him take away from your experience on here. It really is that easy. :D

The one thing I didn’t read above was that Mason said the team looks very Average. He spun it as a compliment because if a team was filled with JR/SR’s playing and looked average it would be a negative but a team that is this young shouldn’t look average at this point in their development.

I agree with others here that the overall tone of the BTN crew was more positive than last year. I think all of them mentioned that the team as a whole just looked bigger, stronger and faster. Lot of comments about the size of the offensive linemen - with the caveat that many of the biggest linemen are very young.

Also heard several comments from the BTN crew on the pace of practice and the level of enthusiasm during practice.

For the interview with Kirk C, I got the sense that the BTN crew was hoping he would be a little more specific about personnel and schemes, but Kirk C seemed to want to keep his comments more general - (not give anything away?)

And - this just occurred to me - at the start of the show, they said they would talk to both coordinators - but I don't remember an interview with the Defensive Coordinator. they talked to Fleck, Kirk C, Weyler, Coughlin and Winfield that I remember.

Dinardo sees a 4-0 start as doable...likes Gophers chances in other matchup games
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Dinardo just predict us at 5-7 for the season? This comment here would suggest closer to 7-5.

He stated an opinion. That is not ban worthy. There are routinely direct insults and harassment between posters on this forum that are ban worthy. Never seen a moderator do anything about that. Certainly don't see a reason for them to adhere to your request if they were actively moderating.

Positive attitudes breeds positive, negative breeds negative. I'll go with the positive and feel good about the situation. Going to take a little time, but we're on the upswing.

He stated an opinion. That is not ban worthy. There are routinely direct insults and harassment between posters on this forum that are ban worthy. Never seen a moderator do anything about that. Certainly don't see a reason for them to adhere to your request if they were actively moderating.

You're too kind. Really. It kinda makes me verklempt when you say I'm not ban worthy. Excuse me, I have to turn away for a moment and compose myself. [emoji22][emoji41][emoji56]

You're too kind. Really. It kinda makes me verklempt when you say I'm not ban worthy. Excuse me, I have to turn away for a moment and compose myself. [emoji22][emoji41][emoji56]

Is verklempt slang for hard and compose slang for jack ***? :pig:

Tunnel screens to the wide receivers and quick outs. We finally have QBs and Wr that can execute these plays. Am excited see Seth Greene with the ball in hus hands. Going to be small jids trying to tackle sasquatch in jack links commercials. Toss them aside like rag dolls.

Last edited:

Everyone has a right to be heard. Though their opinion may not be cordial to the masses, it is still a valid option to the posed outcome being sought.

Is verklempt slang for hard and compose slang for jack ***? :pig:
Case in point. I'd rather hear the view of a dubbed "jackass", per se, than hear personal attacks that merit no growth for those within a given debate.

I like the ignore feature, use it heavily.

Mods aren't paying attention much around these parts.

I like the ignore feature, use it heavily.

Mods aren't paying attention much around these parts.

Kind of Souhan's article. I see him name and I don't read his stories. Likewise a couple posters on here I never read. Not worth my time to deal with the trash.

Kind of Souhan's article. I see him name and I don't read his stories. Likewise a couple posters on here I never read. Not worth my time to deal with the trash.

I feel the same way about Pat, except I used to try to read him back when he was trying to write. After he quit writing and just posting the same grab bag of whining, no need, I know what it will be

I feel the same way about Pat, except I used to try to read him back when he was trying to write. After he quit writing and just posting the same grab bag of whining, no need, I know what it will be

A little off-topic - but Reusse has a new column in the Strib about Gordy Shaw returning to coaching with a local high school team in the Twin Cities. Goes back through Shaw's coaching history, including his time at the U of MN with Mason. Gordy is definitely a character. worth a read. Meanwhile, speaking of Souhan, he has an incredibly (IMHO) self-righteous column ripping the Vikings' Andrew Sendejo and making Sendejo the poster boy for excessive violence in Football. It's Souhan at his most moralistic.

We have gotten so sensitive as a nation. You really are so bothered by someone who you disagree with and who ribs the team a bit?

Let's not make Gopherhole a boring place. The board is worse now without JB and Spoofin too.

Top Bottom