We have 6 better pass catchers and 2 better pass throwers than ‘17

My understanding is that a PWO needs to be in the program for a year before they can be awarded a scholarship.

My understanding is that a PWO needs to be in the program for a year before they can be awarded a scholarship.

Two years, or it counts towards the incoming class totals. So, theoretically it's possible to get one right away or a year later, if they feel like giving an incoming freshman spot for that recruiting class away and giving it to the PWO.

But counting against the class shouldn’t be a concern, right? As far as I see it, VV was the 25th signed player in the 2018 scholarship class, and so now ZA can have that scholarship. So it doesn’t matter if that counts against the 2018 class ... it should!

So really, what are they waiting for?? That’s why I’m asking that there must be other rules preventing that simple swap-in. Hope a rules expert can clarify ...

But counting against the class shouldn’t be a concern, right? As far as I see it, VV was the 25th signed player in the 2018 scholarship class, and so now ZA can have that scholarship. So it doesn’t matter if that counts against the 2018 class ... it should!

So really, what are they waiting for?? That’s why I’m asking that there must be other rules preventing that simple swap-in. Hope a rules expert can clarify ...

VV signed with us and counted for the '18 class. I would guess that because he enrolled and then transferred, that he still counts as one of the 25.

I might buy that for someone who starts the fall semester and then quits the team.

But he left in the summer or perhaps right st the end of the spring term. What an absolutely stupid, pathetic rule, if what you say is the matter of fact.

I think the rule is there - at least in part - to prevent coaches from running off players and bringing in replacements right before the season. So, if Coach X decided that Recruit Y was garbage, he can't pressure Recruit Y to leave and give his scholarship to Recruit Z.

I think the rule is there - at least in part - to prevent coaches from running off players and bringing in replacements right before the season. So, if Coach X decided that Recruit Y was garbage, he can't pressure Recruit Y to leave and give his scholarship to Recruit Z.

Very logical, but my comeback to that works like this: that only apply to recruits who enroll for spring. Now true that’s most Jucos. Fine, got me there. But all a high school player had to do in order to avoid that is wait to join the team until fall camp.

I would argue that once a player reports for fall camp, he counts towards that year’s 25 max. But a Juco (in particular) should absolutely be able to do what VV did: come in spring, give it a shot, and reassess. If the juco feels it would be better to transfer again, the school should be allowed to get that scholarship back for that year!

My opinion.

Very logical, but my comeback to that works like this: that only apply to recruits who enroll for spring. Now true that’s most Jucos. Fine, got me there. But all a high school player had to do in order to avoid that is wait to join the team until fall camp.

I would argue that once a player reports for fall camp, he counts towards that year’s 25 max. But a Juco (in particular) should absolutely be able to do what VV did: come in spring, give it a shot, and reassess. If the juco feels it would be better to transfer again, the school should be allowed to get that scholarship back for that year!

My opinion.

That wouldn't work for this reason. A team could then bring in 28 guys with 10 of them being JUCO's and evaluate them in the spring. At that point they pick the 3-5 guys to keep and tell the rest it just didn't work out. School now has a class of 21 to 23.

That wouldn't work for this reason. A team could then bring in 28 guys with 10 of them being JUCO's and evaluate them in the spring. At that point they pick the 3-5 guys to keep and tell the rest it just didn't work out. School now has a class of 21 to 23.

But that scenario only works if those 10 Jucos agreed to come to Minnesota in the spring without signing NLIs! Because, if any of them sign NLIs, then their scholarships are guaranteed at least through fall. (if not the following winter/spring?) Even if the staff tells them flat out, after that initial spring, "it's not going to work here" ... the Juco doesn't have to leave. He can choose to stay, anyway, and the coach can't cut the scholly. At least for a year.

So those 10 to come here without signing a NLI ... that's on them. They chose to take that risk. Don't think many Jucos would do that.

And so, it wouldn't work like you propose, because for 28 NLIs being signed, that's not allowed in the first place. The max is 25. BUT -- in my opinion -- if you have 25 NLIs signed, let's say 4 of them are Jucos, and all 4 enroll early for that spring, then all 4 voluntarily decide to leave before the start of fall camp ... then those 4 scholarships should be allowed to be given to guys who would've otherwise been non-scholarship, in fall camp. I just can't see how such an allowance could be unfairly taken advantage of.

Getting back to the OP - do we have 6 better pass catches and 2 better QBs?

Johnson is back and should be better.
Bateman and Bell have never played in a college football game.
Green has never played WR/TE in a college football game.
Douglas has played in 3 games. Career stats of 11 catches for 83 yards.
Howard has played in 11 career games with a total of 11 catches for 132 yards.

I like the potential of the group - but anyone has to admit we are young when 3 of the 6 have never caught a collegiate pass.

Same goes for QB.

Seems like a lot of people are setting up their angles on how much talent / experience this team has to help drive their narrative later in the seasosn that Fleck is a good or bad coach.

Flecktics say lots of talent.
Flecktons say little talent / young talent.

But that scenario only works if those 10 Jucos agreed to come to Minnesota in the spring without signing NLIs! Because, if any of them sign NLIs, then their scholarships are guaranteed at least through fall. (if not the following winter/spring?) Even if the staff tells them flat out, after that initial spring, "it's not going to work here" ... the Juco doesn't have to leave. He can choose to stay, anyway, and the coach can't cut the scholly. At least for a year.

So those 10 to come here without signing a NLI ... that's on them. They chose to take that risk. Don't think many Jucos would do that.

And so, it wouldn't work like you propose, because for 28 NLIs being signed, that's not allowed in the first place. The max is 25. BUT -- in my opinion -- if you have 25 NLIs signed, let's say 4 of them are Jucos, and all 4 enroll early for that spring, then all 4 voluntarily decide to leave before the start of fall camp ... then those 4 scholarships should be allowed to be given to guys who would've otherwise been non-scholarship, in fall camp. I just can't see how such an allowance could be unfairly taken advantage of.

Since this seems to be so troubling to you, I would suggest getting a copy of the NCAA rules and regs and look it up. I'm not meaning to be mean spirited but we've gone through 2 pages of this thread that was supposed to be about QUALITY of our QB's and receivers talking about PWO eligibility rules.

Since this seems to be so troubling to you, I would suggest getting a copy of the NCAA rules and regs and look it up. I'm not meaning to be mean spirited but we've gone through 2 pages of this thread that was supposed to be about QUALITY of our QB's and receivers talking about PWO eligibility rules.

You are correct. I've debated the same argument in another thread, too. So I will cease the discussion here.

I don't have the willpower to go through the massive NCAA rulebook.

I like the potential of the group - but anyone has to admit we are young when 3 of the 6 have never caught a collegiate pass.

Same goes for QB.

You are right about that. Neither of the Quarterbacks has caught a pass in College.

Same goes for QB.

I think potentially we do. It's all optimistically possible compared to the last several years but it is just potential at the moment. Johnson dropped too many passes. Douglas can catch but showed no ability to gain yardage after the catch. Bateman, Bell and Green could be awesome...but they haven't had a chance to show it yet. Howard is maybe more of a specialty contributor in small doses. I like the potential. Tight end kid from St Cloud is a pass catcher too, right?

Same goes for QB.

Amazingly, they still finished tied for 2nd on the team for receptions by a WR.

Green will be the #2 receiver on this team whether he starts or not. He is a custom made target for Annexstad.

Green will be the #2 receiver on this team whether he starts or not. He is a custom made target for Annexstad.

Custom making a WR by bringing him in as a QB... weird way to go about that ;)

Top Bottom