Gophers Fall Practice Notebook: Fleck talks Seth Green, Carpenter sees team chemistry

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Learning on the fly. It’s what the Gophers quarterbacks will be doing this season as both starting candidates lack any true Division-I starting experience. It’s a challenge two freshmen will need to overcome as they lead the Minnesota football team in 2018.

No matter what happens, the Gophers will kick off the regular season with a redshirt or true freshman taking the first snap. There is certain to be growing pains.

However, with help from offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca, head coach P.J. Fleck is noticing gradual improvement from young quarterbacks Tanner Morgan and Zack Annexstad in fall practices. The competition is reaching its final stage as Fleck and Ciarrocca tested the pair of passers in a closed scrimmage at TCF Bank Stadium on Tuesday.

“Now, we haven’t played a game yet, but that was as close to a game as we’re going to get. I was really pleased with them. They showed that they can demand the team, they can own the team, they can run the team, they can run the offense,” Fleck said. “And as they feel more comfortable, I think they’ll be able to do more in the leadership role and they’ll be able to get more out of everybody else because they’ll know how to do that.”

Fleck said the mistakes both Morgan and Annexstad are making in practice are ones you wouldn’t expect from a young quarterback. Whether it’s ball placement or getting the ball out on time, Fleck said many of the errors are easily correctable for the quarterbacks under center.

“They’re getting better,” Fleck said. “I said at the beginning of camp, even in the first week, they’re making 400-level mistakes, not 100-level mistakes. When I say that, I mean they’re running the system the way you want to run the system.”

Fleck has yet to name a starter prior to the Aug. 30 home-opener against New Mexico State at TCF Bank Stadium. The competition should be nearing an end in the coming days as the coaching staff decides which quarterback will begin the season under center.

Green making a strong transition
Seth Green recently made the transition from quarterback to a pass-catching role for the Gophers. First, Fleck and the coaching staff tried Green at tight end. After experimenting with his athleticism and size, the redshirt sophomore will begin the season at wide receiver. He’s one player who could make a surprising impact on the Gophers’ roster in 2018.

“I think he’s going to really help us on the edge as a wide-out,” Fleck said. “He’s big, he’s strong, he’s fast. We don’t have anybody that looks like him. He’s bigger than Ty Johnson, so to be able to add a weapon like that is huge. Now, what does he have to do – consistency.”

He must adjust to the nuances associated with playing wide receiver, such as route running and other key technicalities. However, Green is standing out to P.J. Fleck, who has an expertise when evaluating and coaching wide receviers. According to Fleck, offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca picked Green as a stand-out performer during Thursday’s afternoon practice. When the season begins, Seth Green might be a mismatch threat for the Minnesota offense.

A pass rusher with tremendous upside
One of the most intriguing players to watch on the practice field is redshirt freshman defensive end Esezi Otomewo. At 6-foot-6, 270 pounds, Otomewo possesses unique physical traits and length as a pass rusher. He will likely receive snaps this season as the Gophers look for contributors on the edge who can get after the quarterback. With Otomewo’s metrics, the developmental potential is extremely high.

“Guys, I’m telling you, he is a special, special player,” Fleck said. “He’s going to have some growing pains, highs, lows, but he is special. “His how meter – his motor goes now and we need him to be able to help us. Now, is he going to be an every down player, probably not, but we finally have a little bit of depth where we can help him out, where we don’t have to fit that square peg into a round hole.”

The coaches will be placing him on the field from time-to-time to test out all of the unique ability. When he does, it’s worth seeing how he produces, especially as the the team searches for future prototype pass rushers.

Carpenter likes the team chemistry
Kicker Emmit Carpenter is one of the main leaders of the Gophers’ football team both on and off-the-field. Whether it’s helping a teammate off-the-field or spending time at the children’s hospital, Carpenter is one player who has a pulse of the current team. For the senior special teams ace, this is one of the most connected teams he’s ever been around.

“This is probably the closest team, player-wise, that I’ve gotten to play on the last four years at Minnesota,” Carpenter said. “And I’ve loved every single group of guys, year-to-year I’ve been with, but I would say this definitely is the closest group. We all get along so well in the locker room, on-the-field, off-the-field.”

Carpenter said this starts with the culture P.J. Fleck has established as he enters his second season at the helm of the Minnesota program. Whether it’s a Jay-Z/Beyoncé concert or a night at the movies, Carpenter discussed how Fleck promotes players getting to know each other better off the gridiron.

“One thing Coach Fleck really pushes is getting to know guys outside of just being football players and he really pushes us to share things about ourselves to connect with people more than just what we do on the field between the lines,” he said.

Smith is spending time studying running backs
Running back Rodney Smith is on the cusp of breaking a major record at Minnesota. He needs just 1,260 all-purpose yards in 2018 to break Gophers legend Darrell Thompson's school record. The senior has sprinted for 2,805 yards and 21 touchdowns on 626 career carries. His running style has helped him cement his status as one of the most elusive backs in the Big Ten.

With Shannon Brooks missing time due to a leg injury, Smith will be the featured running back in the system. As he continues to improve and catch the attention of future NFL scouts, Smith has spent time studying professional players over the past year. Smith said the coaches cut up film of Saints star running back Alvin Kamara for him to study.

“This past year, I watched [Alvin] Kamara the most,” Smith said. “The thing I like about Kamara is his balance -- he has amazing balance.”

Not only does Kamara’s footwork stand out to Smith, but his pass-catching ability is equally impressive. It’s something he wants to add to his skill-set through the Gophers’ 2018 offensive scheme.

“[Kamara is] great at running routes, an excellent pass-catcher out of the backfield,” Smith said. And that’s one thing we’re trying to implement in the offense this year.”

With a productive year, Smith could receive mid-to-late round grades for next year’s NFL draft. If he can bolster his ability as a pass catcher, it would add more intrigue to his skill-set as pro teams search for versatility at the running back position.

Want premium Gophers content? Purchase a copy of my 2018 Gophers Football Guide. $15 gets you nearly 70 pages previewing the season, future recruiting, film breakdowns and much more! 25% of each purchase will go to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Minnesota! Get yours here.

Videos:

Looks like a lot of work. Thanks for doing it.

Gophs may have their own version of megatron...Green will be a mismatch nightmare.

Good content thanks for posting.

I'm all for team spirit, but the thing I wonder about is if they've got that drive t win it when things get tough. As PJ said they did not last year.

Winston DeLattiboudere looks to be your starting defensive end after all the Ozesi hype. Winston looks much bigger and stronger than last year. Makes us even older on the starting defense. Has played in every game last two years, starting about half each year. Redshirted a year and earned work team player of year. Vastly under rated and under appreciated guy who is ready for a breakout year.

The young defensive end who looks really good is rs frosh Boye Mafe, but he is behind two juniors, potential AllBig Coughlin and a much stronger looking Devers.

OJ Smith and Gary Moore are an impressive looking pair of defensive tackles. Big, mature older guys.

Exactly what I was waiting for today! Thanks, Daniel! :cool:

Well I guess I have to admit I was wrong. In another thread, I assumed Green being in the WR position group meant he would be something like an "inside receiver", matched up on OLB's.

But Fleck is saying on the edge. I just assumed someone of his size doesn't have the straight line speed or the ability to stop/start/change direction quickly enough to be a Big Ten wide out. Weight is weight, even if you have 0% bodyfat. The more weight you have, the more effort it takes to get going, stop, or change direction.

However, I can't do anything more than just trust Fleck to evaluate that stuff, especially at that position!

GAH! Is it game day yet?! Thanks for the info!

Winston DeLattiboudere looks to be your starting defensive end after all the Ozesi hype. Winston looks much bigger and stronger than last year. Makes us even older on the starting defense. Has played in every game last two years, starting about half each year. Redshirted a year and earned work team player of year. Vastly under rated and under appreciated guy who is ready for a breakout year.

The young defensive end who looks really good is rs frosh Boye Mafe, but he is behind two juniors, potential AllBig Coughlin and a much stronger looking Devers.

OJ Smith and Gary Moore are an impressive looking pair of defensive tackles. Big, mature older guys.

Will be interesting to see if Devers ever makes a big impact, again. He was a flash in the pan, as a guy with hyper-quickness at essentially a tall LB size, who surprised some OT's around the edge and sacked the crap out of their QBs a few times. And then that was that ... don't think we've heard anything from him since.

Did not have the size to play run downs in the Big Ten on the DL. Assuming he has worked hard to add bulk, but that also will reduce quickness somewhat.

Everything is always so optimistic at spring practice and within fall camp. I have no idea if the Gophers will be vastly improved this year and I of course sure hope they are. But, camp reports always read like every corner has been turned. It would be interesting to read a college team camp report someday that says "Everyone is trying really hard but due to low skill levels, lack of speed, and small players the outlook for the upcoming season remains quite grim".

Everything is always so optimistic at spring practice and within fall camp. I have no idea if the Gophers will be vastly improved this year and I of course sure hope they are. But, camp reports always read like every corner has been turned. It would be interesting to read a college team camp report someday that says "Everyone is trying really hard but due to low skill levels, lack of speed, and small players the outlook for the upcoming season remains quite grim".

Forgot about last year's Gopher reports already? :D

It's the Big Ten. Every athletic dept is raking in several tens of millions of dollar, with some topping a hundred million dollars. And all are pouring considerable amount of money into football, with budgets I think around 15-20+ million per year.

That means every Big Ten team, no matter how lowly, is going to have freakish looking guys in camp. They're all going to "look" the part, on paper, and standing there in pads.

Will be interesting to see if Devers ever makes a big impact, again. He was a flash in the pan, as a guy with hyper-quickness at essentially a tall LB size, who surprised some OT's around the edge and sacked the crap out of their QBs a few times. And then that was that ... don't think we've heard anything from him since.

Did not have the size to play run downs in the Big Ten on the DL. Assuming he has worked hard to add bulk, but that also will reduce quickness somewhat.

When he was on the field, he usually had some sort of impact. Able to get around bigger linemen/TEs more often than not. Really didn't understand why he was not on the field more last year, other than some off field stuff. Got into most games but not with any real frequency.

When he was on the field, he usually had some sort of impact. Able to get around bigger linemen/TEs more often than not. Really didn't understand why he was not on the field more last year, other than some off field stuff. Got into most games but not with any real frequency.

OK, thanks for that.

My comment was more in the sense of, he made sensational waves with his three crushing sacks ... but otherwise seems like you never really heard his name called the rest of that season or last season. My guess is that he simply wasn't big enough, and when he was on the field teams got wise to his pass rushing.

Forgot about last year's Gopher reports already? :D

Come to think of it, and being serious, not only were Fleck and the camp reports bad in '17, but Mason and the camp reports in 1997 were also very dour. Don't remember if things were much better in 1998. Brewster and camp reports in 2008 were positive. 2007 was different. They weren't talking about improvement for that season, let alone vast improvement. They were all talking about how they may be in the same boat or worse than in '06. Same thing for Jerry Kill in 2011 and 2012! Who knows if his "poor me" bit was honest, most writers weren't really calling him on it.

Don't remember anything about reports before Mason. Claeys in his only full season as Head Coach, was actually positive about the upcoming season. So were many of the training camp reports.

Little did they know what turmoil lay ahead in 2016.

All that said, can't help but believe that if Fleck and Company are saying good things about how the players are performing maybe those positive camp reports aren't so bad after all.

Last edited:

OK, thanks for that.

My comment was more in the sense of, he made sensational waves with his three crushing sacks ... but otherwise seems like you never really heard his name called the rest of that season or last season. My guess is that he simply wasn't big enough, and when he was on the field teams got wise to his pass rushing.

I think a lot of this comes down to schemes. Players get recruited by former coaching staff for their scheme - then there's a coaching change, and a new coaching staff comes in with new schemes. Some players are able to adapt, but some players - for whatever reason - are not able to adapt, or are just not a good fit for the new system. My impression (from reading between the lines) is that Fleck & Co. plan to use the DE position in a different fashion from the Claeys/Sawvel system. Devers could be one of those guys who just falls between the cracks. (and no, that is not a 'skinny' joke.)

Top Bottom