Game 1: Gophers Host New Hampshire (11-9-18)

I for one don't need to see any more mentions of Stollings. Seems counterproductive to me. Marlene is gone and we're all the better for having Whalen and her staff.

Many teams do the closed scrimmages now. I have no issue with that.

I would like to see some early non-conference games against some upper midwest teams within travel distance since the Big Ten schedule the last few years really has not been one that made travel to Wisconsin or Iowa easy for away games. And, yes, I well remember the Winona State loss in the non-conference season during the Borton era.

Kenisha Bell has said that she would have preferred man-to-man over Stollings' Zone Defense. According to her, they would have beaten more teams.

Lindsay Whalen wants to mix it up, but primarily play man-to-man. There is bound to be growing pains especially being a rookie coach. However, Whalen has hired an experienced staff that she has a connection with. Carly Thibeault-Dudonis looks like a very good defensive minded coach.

The assistant coaches did themselves proud on their Italy tour. They beat that tough German Club team who upset the other college team that was there.

I hope to see them emphasize team defense.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/sport...look-to-start-opening-another-ae-title-window

New Hampshire media day:

Amanda Torres represents everything the ’Cats want to do to start opening another championship window. She’s a slashing guard who’ll run an up-tempo offense and lead a press on defense. She elbowed her way into the starting lineup last season and takes the floor as a sophomore more comfortable and more confident.

“It’s a lot different than last year,” said Torres. “I like it so much better and I think it fits our team so much better. We have a lot of good, young players.”

There are seven freshmen on the UNH roster, including some who’ll play right away. Wisconsin native Kari Brekke will jump right into the backcourt beside Torres and junior Caroline Soucy, whose sophomore year was reduced by injury.

“There’s still a lot of question marks,” said ninth-year coach Maureen Magarity. “No surprise there, especially with what we graduated ... it’s a lot.

“But we’re much quicker, much faster on the perimeter. We have some dynamic combo guards.”

After being picked for first in America East in last year’s preseason poll, the Wildcats were selected to finish seventh of nine teams this time around.

The frontcourt will be boosted by the return of 6-foot-3 center Ashley Storey. A key player off the bench on the team that won the America East regular-season title two years ago, shoulder surgery kept her off the court last season and was a blow to the team’s depth.

“I feel a lot stronger and more confident,” said Storey, who was named to the league’s All-Rookie Team as a freshman. “On the court I just feel more comfortable.”

She’s joined by 6-foot-2 sophomore Maggie Ahearn, who sat out last year after transferring from Providence; 6-foot freshman Faith Bonett; and senior captain Alli Gribbin.

Aside from different personnel, fans will see a much different style of play.

Out is the preference to rely on halfcourt offense and halfcourt defense. In is a team that will push the pace offensively with its guards and, yes, press.

The New Hampshire game is a good one for Lindsay Whalen's debut.

Does anyone here know how good a team New Hampshire is? Have they faced any top D1 teams last year?

I can't wait to see how the Gophers do. Wish I had bought tickets.

I'm going to show my age in saying that I listened to the Sports Huddle on the Good Neighbor today. Whalen was a guest, and she indicated that the starting lineup, subject to change, would probably be Bell, T. Bello, Lamke, Brunson, and Pitts. She mentioned the loss of Hubbard a couple of times, and, although she made no reference as to when Hubbard would be back (because they probably don't know how well her rehab will go), I got the feeling that Whalen thinks she'll be back sometime during the season. Whalen was also quick to highlight the current talent in the Minnesota high school girls ranks and noted that there would be some very good players coming out of those ranks in the next few years.

... Sports Huddle on the Good Neighbor today. Whalen was a guest, and she indicated that the starting lineup, subject to change, would probably be Bell, T. Bello, Lamke, Brunson, and Pitts. She mentioned the loss of Hubbard a couple of times, and, although she made no reference as to when Hubbard would be back (because they probably don't know how well her rehab will go), I got the feeling that Whalen thinks she'll be back sometime during the season. Whalen was also quick to highlight the current talent in the Minnesota high school girls ranks and noted that there would be some very good players coming out of those ranks in the next few years.

Thanks for the good summary. I don't listen to much talk-show radio, but even though Lindsay said what I thought she would, I was curious enough to want to hear it. So I found the links ...
They break down the podcast into segments on the web. The one in question is the 10am segment - titled: 11-04-18 Sports Huddle 10am SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 4TH - and you can get to it here https://wccoradio.radio.com/media/audio-channel/11-04-18-sports-huddle-10am

The description is "Our hosts chat with Vikings CB Xavier Rhodes and QB Kirk Cousins, Wild rookie defenseman Nick Seeler, Gopher football coach P.J. Fleck, and Gopher women's..." so I'm not sure if that means Lindsay is the last guest (haven't heard it yet as I write this). It's about 37 minutes long, so fast-forward through it. You can also download the podcast from https://omnystudio.com/d/clips/4b5f...6404786-3d22-424e-af56-a98e0145e011/audio.mp3

So starting five is

PG: Brunson
SG: Bell
SF: Pitts
PF: T.Bello
C: Lamke

my guess is Staples will be the first of the bench. Either replacing Bell or Brunson depending on things like fouls, performance etc. My concern with this starting lineup is that it puts the entire 3-point shooting pressure on Pitts. I know that Bell can hit them occasional but teams will probably take a prove-it mentality with both Brunson and Bell from 3-point range. Staples is also a shooter so she should at least be able to pull some defenders of attention from Pitts but she will also have to hit them. Being a threat from deep requires the fear of if the player is left open they will hurt you. I think Garrido-Perez probably gets minutes at the 2/3 simply for shooting. My guess is Bryne will give Taiye a few minutes rest at the PF and I could ever see them playing together is Taiye slides over to the center position. Without Hubbard I see the team scoring between 65-70ish points per game which means the defense will have to be improved if they are going to hold teams under that. I agree listening to the interview Whalen sounds more towards Hubbard being back this year. She truly is a big loss for this team. Good ball handler, a decent defender and I would say the most consistent 3-point threat the team had. Anyone else thinking of any concerns that I overlooked? I feel we will (at least till hubbard back) see big minutes from Taiye, Bell and Pitts barring any injuries or foul trouble.

bball, I think you're "spot on" with your observations. The most important point you may be making is the lack of 3-point shooting ability with Hubbard out and Staples on the bench. Depending on how things are working out, and how the players are performing, I wouldn't be shocked to see Staples inserted as a starter by the time the conference schedule rolls around. Also, I personally like the energy that Kaposi brings and I wouldn't be surprised to see her get some minutes. I am anxious to see the "new and improved" Lamke. If she and Byrne can cover the post position, this will allow Bello to play the 4 position. The loss of Hubbard (along with Wagner's graduation) cannot be underestimated, especially in terms of 3-point shooting. And you''re right, this new lineup without Hubbard and Wagner may turn this team into a team that scores in the mid- to high 70s instead of the mid- to high 80s. They'll have to play better defense if they want to have success. And, although Bell and Brunson can both hit threes occasionally, I would prefer both of them going to the hoop or taking mid-range jumpers instead of threes. Both Wagner and Hubbard were good at getting to the hoop last year (along with Bell, of course). I'm hoping the Pitts has improved a bit in that regard, although they'll also need her 3-point shooting. I expect Whalen to tinker with the lineup and the rotation a bit in the non-conference games. Hopefully, she will settle on a lineup and rotation by the time conference play begins. I never liked that Stollings played musical chairs with the post position throughout most of the year last year. I maintain that players like to know what their roles are.

Just a reminder, there is a sold out volleyball match starting at 7:00 Friday, so an extra 6k will be parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.startribune.com/sold-out...e-a-thrill-for-gophers-players-too/500101881/

Kent Youngblood:

Working on rotations

Whalen figures to start a backcourt of Bell and junior Jasmine Brunson, with sophomore Destiny Pitts and junior Taiye Bello at forward and senior Annalese Lamke at center.

As for her substitution rotation? She hasn’t completely settled on that. “Still working on it,” Whalen said. “We’ll see how things go [at practice Thursday].”

With the game being sold out, it is really sad that it is not on TV or even available to stream unless you pay for BTN PLUS. I have not been able to watch hardly any women’s Big Ten games this week, but I can see all the men’s games that I want for free, even though the TV stations are full of them as well. That is very unfair to fans of the women’s teams.

By golly! I think the BTN missed a huge marketing opportunity by not making the sold out New Hampshire - Gophers game.

Stream still hasn’t started for me on BTN plus.

Lynette, sis, we can hear you talking about your butt...

Bello with 4 reb, 3 blk in first quarter.
That seems promising.

Staples checking in for the first time a couple minutes into the 2nd quarter.

Anybody life watching the game right now?

Hopefully she can be back by the time the conference season start.

Gophers actually have a post presence. Bello with some nice blocks.

Last edited:

Lamke the leading scorer after 3 quarters with 13.

Looks like #41 is our stud this year. 21 pts so far.
Struggled to get off the bench last year.
E13-B799-C-C782-4-E13-AC36-59-D485-BE38-B3.jpg

I would have seriously lost a guess the high scorer contest. Lamke was a real opportunist who brought her bench enthusiasm onto the court tonight.

I might have guessed correctly about the return of the "Percolator"; but wouldn't have guessed its deployment before the start of the second half.

Notably, Taiye Bello (27 minutes, 14 points, 14 rebounds and 5 turnovers) and Jasmine Brunson (33 minutes) stayed out of foul trouble. The offense seemed to hide Pitts in the corner but Destiny still got off 6 three point shots although she only made one. Destiny also scored off a couple of three ball fakes and dribbles to the short corner. Mercedes Staples will take a shot anywhere on the court.

Bell played 37 minutes. That will probably be her average during the season.

Some positive notes: Looks like Gophers definitely intend to have the post players be part of the offense this year. Nice to see Lamke as an integral part of the lineup. Bello very athletic, still a little rough around the edges, could be a double-double machine, stayed out of foul trouble. Looks like the team will play much better defense this year.

Gopher FT shooting was terrible. Brunson plays good D, but not much of an offensive factor. Team will miss Hubbard until she is back. Too early to tell how much of a factor Staples will be. She got beat on defense a couple of times, but showed some confidence in her shooting. With the increased emphasis on defense, it doesn't look like the Gophers will spend much time in the 80s and 90s this year, if for no other reason than the opponents may not find it easy to get quick shots.

It was nice that Whalen addressed the crowd after the game.

I thought the crowd was a bit flat, especially with the large numbers. But probably rightfully so, as it was a non-conference game against an opponent that wasn't very good. Gophers also seemed a bit flat and didn't shoot as well as I had hoped they would. Iggy pointed out that Pitts spent a lot of time buried in the corner, and I thought the Gophers missed her at least 3 times when she had a wide open three. But she wasn't shooting it well tonight and we know that we won't have to worry about her shooting as we get into the season.

And, maybe of no concern to anyone but me, why didn't they announce the volleyball score from next door. (Forgot my cell phone.)

Top Bottom