Tall task ahead for Saints' 6-foot-10 tight end turned tackle Nate Wozniak

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Walker:

Nate Wozniak can't even count the number of times he's been asked the question.

It comes with the territory when you are the same height as Pelicans superstar Anthony Davis.

Heck, even University of Minnesota basketball coach Richard Pitino would often see the 6-foot-10 Wozniak on campus and ask if he'd be interested in trying out for the men's basketball team.

"He was just joking, though," Wozniak said. "He knew I was pretty focused on playing football."

So now the tallest player in Saints' training camp has an even taller order ahead: trying to make the roster and become one of the tallest guys in NFL history.

Richard Sligh, a 7-foot defensive tackle who played for the Oakland Raiders back in 1967, is the tallest.

It won't be easy though for a guy who has played tight end his entire life but is now making the adjustment to tackle.

He's had to learn new football techniques, as well as new eating habits.

He's put on weight to make the position shift, going from a lean 269-pound rookie with six-pack abs at Minnesota's pro day to his current weight that is around 295.

"He's been really diligent in his work," Saints offensive line coach Dan Roushar said. "I've been impressed with his desire to make this transition. We've seen huge improvement from him from the very first day of rookie minicamp to today."

Wozniak has taken most of his reps with the third-team offense.

Sean Payton refers to him as a "developmental guy."

The full potential of the undrafted free agent may not be seen until a few years down the road.

He caught 28 passes for 314 yards in his career with the Golden Gophers. He received the Bruce Smith Award as his team's most outstanding offensive player.

Now his primary role has shifted to protecting the quarterback and opening holes for Saints' running backs.

The biggest adjustment, he says, has been in pass-blocking.

"You're going backwards and taking on guys who are coming forward," Wozniak explains. "As a tight end, I was always used to be going after things and getting my hands on them. So that's been the No. 1 difference: Going against guys who are the best pass rushers in the country obviously in the NFL has been a steep learning curve, but it's been going pretty well."

https://www.themountaineer.com/spor...cle_14b4595d-29b0-50ef-853f-7b934f56b05f.html

Go Gophers!!

Good luck Nate...but man I feel for him. 295 pounds is a lot of weight to be carrying around

Tackle eligible...just lob it up high to him...nobody will expect it

Good luck Nate...but man I feel for him. 295 pounds is a lot of weight to be carrying around
At 6'10" he probably still looks pretty good. I agree but it's pretty common for guys to shed weight when they're done. I was pretty good friends with one of our former linebackers, he's been done for a few years, he was absolutely hacked and now he's hipster skinny

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing. He could lead the league as the OT with the most completions and most reception yards.

If he makes practice squad he should be happy. He is strong enough guy but does he or can he develop the footwork for it?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

When he was recruited here, many thought we'd turn him into a tackle. I have no idea why it has taken this long.

we tried that, unfortunately nate has stones for hands...

Best of luck to him though. Crazy to put on that kind of weight.

we tried that, unfortunately nate has stones for hands...

Best of luck to him though. Crazy to put on that kind of weight.

Do you mean 25 pounds? Or 25 pounds in 3 months? He probably will be 315-320 when said and done.

When he was recruited here, many thought we'd turn him into a tackle. I have no idea why it has taken this long.

Agreed. I just never saw him as a TE. Aside from the height mismatch possibilities, he just wasn't an explosive athlete at that position IMHO. But I'm not a college FB coach, obviously.

I always thought he would be great at blocking kicks. He's got pretty good hops for a guy that tall.

Top Bottom