STrib: Hiring of Whalen & Motzko Offers Hope to State Prep Coaches

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/hirings-...offer-hope-to-state-s-prep-coaches/490980581/

To boys’ hockey and girls’ basketball coaching leadership, Motzko and Whalen represented a fresh start. Both have local ties and past successes with their respective Gophers programs. But it’s their potential as ambassadors throughout the state that intrigued high school coaches.
Whalen, hired in April, has made the bigger impression so far.

She received a verbal commitment from Stillwater junior guard Sara Scalia, the first Minnesota high school player to commit to the Gophers in five years. And though she couldn’t attend because she plays for the Lynx, Whalen helped set a June meeting between assistant coach Kelly Roysland and leaders within the girls’ basketball coaches association.

“They already exceeded our expectation just being willing to meet with us,” said Liz Carpentier, Farmington girls’ basketball coach and coaches association president. “They asked, ‘What can we do to build a relationship?’ We all walked out feeling refreshed.”

Basketball coaches were encouraged by the symbolism of Scalia becoming Whalen’s first committed recruit.

“When Sara verballed it paved the path,” Carpentier said. “It was a big deal because it showed that this coaching staff is making Minnesota players a priority.”

Stillwater coach Willie Taylor said: “The previous staff was interested but were kind of back and forth a little bit. Lindsay came in right away and said, ‘We want her.’ I know her coaching staff on a first-name basis. With Marlene, I didn’t know the coaches. I met one. But I can call Danielle [O’Banion], Kelly or Lindsay any time.”

Lindsay Whalen and Kelly Roysland are from Hutchinson and Fosston MN respectively, Danielle O'Banionwas a Gophers coach when Whalen was a player. Carly Thibault is the daughter of Mike Thibault who coached Lindsay with the Connecticut Suns. It says a lot about the kind of organization Whalen wants to build.

These coaches will put MN girls basketball players on high priority. What a way to set the tone for future recruiting by reaching out to the State HS Coaches Association. This relationship is very important. Lindsay Whalen recognized that being from an outstate HS program.

Top Bottom