Pioneer Press: Gophers need more from receivers not named Tyler Johnson

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

The Gophers’ top receiving options in 2017 were Tyler Johnson and … crickets.

Minnesota’s lack of viable alternatives was borne out in the statistical share Johnson accounted for a year ago. During his sophomore season, the Minneapolis North grad had one-third of the team’s receptions (35), nearly half of its receiving yards (677) and three-fourths of its touchdowns (seven) a year ago.

When Johnson broke his hand and missed the final two games, the Gophers essentially unplugged the passing game in season-ending blowout losses to Northwestern and Wisconsin.

Receiving reinforcements, however, have arrived and/or returned. What Minnesota has will come into better focus when the Gophers hold a pivotal scrimmage Tuesday at TCF Bank Stadium.

Chris Autman-Bell and Demetrius Douglas look to bounce back from freshman seasons sidetracked by injuries. Autman-Bell was limited with an undisclosed injury earlier in camp but participated Monday, while Douglas continued to rehab his own undisclosed injury.

True freshman Rashod Bateman has displayed impressive moments since fall camp started Aug. 1, with fellow newcomers Erik Gibson in the mix and Jornell Manns still rehabbing a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee from high school.

Redshirt sophomore Phillip Howard, of Robbinsdale Cooper High School, was second on the U last year with 132 receiving yards.

But nobody beats Johnson to the front of the line for reps in every drill during practice. “I’m leading them by example and also my voice,” he said at the start of camp. “… After that, whenever we go to the other side, I critique them and I make sure that their break point is right and they are creating separation (from defensive backs) and they are using their hands right. Things like that.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/08/13/gophers-need-more-from-receivers-not-named-tyler-johnson/

Go Gophers!!

We have the right HC to get the receiving corps on track. TJ's leadership is important as well. Give the QBs enough time and the passing game will be adequate at a minimum. Could be pretty good.+

Seth Green will help the passing game...Rodney will help the passing game.

Tyler was lights out in Spring. He is about to breakout as a Big Ten Star.

Bateman getting rave reviews. Starts from day one. He makes Tyler better.

Fleck loves AutmanBell. Was stunning last August. Fought hard in Spring game, had some moments. Hope he can stay healthy.

Douglas looked legit starting games early last year before injury. Got open, made catches. Hope he can get healthy.

Phil Howard had some good moments last year. I like his chances lined up vs a #4 db instead of a #1 or #2.

WR a position freshman can impact right away...Davis was huge at WI, SmithMarsette at Iowa, Spielman at NE, Philyor at Indiana, Anthrop at Purdue, Smalley and Dorsey at IL all played very well.

Oline should be improved...helps pass protection. Both QBs look like better passers, better pocket presence guys, better scramble and keep play alive guys than last years guys.

Passing game will make huge strides forward.

Last edited:

Really promising that Tyler has stepped up into that leadership role, it can only make the WRs better.

I watched a bit of the scrimmage yesterday from outside TCF Bank Stadium. In the time I watched, Autman-Bell was heavily targeted by Zach Annexstad. Bateman had a nice catch too.

Fleck loves AutmanBell. Was stunning last August. Fought hard in Spring game, had some moments. Hope he can stay healthy.

Douglas looked legit starting games early last year before injury. Got open, made catches. Hope he can get healthy.

Phil Howard had some good moments last year. I like his chances lined up vs a #4 db instead of a #1 or #2.

WR a position freshman can impact right away...Davis was huge at WI, SmithMarsette at Iowa, Spielman at NE, Philyor at Indiana, Anthrop at Purdue, Smalley and Dorsey at IL all played very well.

Oline should be improved...helps pass protection. Both QBs look like better passers, better pocket presence guys, better scramble and keep play alive guys than last years guys.

I am very optimistic about our WR corps. My reservations for 2018 include:

1. They are young going up against many upper class secondaries in B1G. Not likely to have upper hand. Frosh qb throwing to frosh WR. They can be good players w good potential but frosh to frosh normally doesnt win.

2. Health. CAB and Douglas HAVE to stay healthy. Cant have production if injured.

3. OL- took a hit with Dickson ruled out academically. If OL struggles at all, it will be even more of a struggle to get WRs the ball

I'd like to see the Gophers establish the passing game against NMSU. It's something the Gophers need to work on, I'd rather get it working sooner.

THIS is the type of optimism I can get behind. Nice one, swing

I'd like to see the Gophers establish the passing game against NMSU. It's something the Gophers need to work on, I'd rather get it working sooner.

Agreed. Just because you can likely run for a lot of yards doesn't mean you shouldn't work on the passing game as well.

There is a lot to be optimistic about in spite of inexperience at QB. The O-Line must stay healthy and give the QB time to develop plays. Key to this is the new WRs need to step up.

I generously pegged them to finish between 5-7 to 8-4. But, anything can happen. They could just as easily be 4-8 worst case scenario with injuries.

Last edited:

At the risk of sounding cynical - the Pioneer Press story - while basically accurate - comes down to:

Football team needs more players to contribute to improve record.

Which can be said about virtually any team in the country that did not go undefeated the previous year.

You could write the same story about every position group on the team. in face, most of the regulars on this board could write the same story - minus the quotes from the players.

At the risk of sounding cynical - the Pioneer Press story - while basically accurate - comes down to:

Football team needs more players to contribute to improve record.

Which can be said about virtually any team in the country that did not go undefeated the previous year.

You could write the same story about every position group on the team. in face, most of the regulars on this board could write the same story - minus the quotes from the players.

Knob.

I'm hopeful with the note that I'm not sure that even Tyler has been the WR he could be yet even.

There are lots of ways to lead no doubt, but.... not a lot of on field performance from anyone last year (granted not just the WRs played apart in that).

Top Bottom