Lovie’s cornerback coach Donnie Abraham quits mid-camp

I wanted to read the article but there was like 15 pop-ups

Not much there. Position won't be filled. Abraham thanked the University for the opportunity to work with them. Lovie states that they agreed it would be best that he resign at this time. Then the grand finale, would you like to subscribe to the Chicago Tribune!

Sounds like he wanted to get back to Florida and watch his son’s senior season. Understandable, should’ve left earlier but sometimes you don’t realize a mistake until later than you hope.

Sounds like it was a minor assistant coaching position.

Sounds like it was a minor assistant coaching position.

He was one of the 11 staff (including the head coach) who have the ability to go out and recruit, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say "minor."

He was one of the 11 staff (including the head coach) who have the ability to go out and recruit, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say "minor."

I mean that his coaching position seemed like something similar to "assistant offensive line coach". It was insignificant enough that Lovie simply said "the current staff can absorb those responsibilities".

Wild guess that could easily be wrong: he was mainly hired for his recruiting ties in Florida/IMG.

Is Illinois ever going to overtake anyone in the B1G West?

I feel like every single school in the current West has the potential to do well, if they have the right admin in place that want to spend money to update/build new faciltiies, and pay to hire a head coach with college experience, that has won, and is willing to take on a project to turn around a culture.

We're doing it at Minnesota (I hope). Illinois could just as well follow the same blueprint. If I was them, I'd look at the current head coach at Toledo if they win the MAC again this year.

Lovie is the gift that just keeps giving and giving and giving... Easily one of the most incompetent coaches that has ever walked the sideline, anywhere. He got a sniff of success at Chicago, when he managed to have 3 other former NFL head coaches on his staff to actually, well, COACH.

Here's hoping he has a LOOONG tenure at Illinois!

He got a sniff of success at Chicago, when he managed to have 3 other former NFL head coaches on his staff to actually, well, COACH.

Here's hoping he has a LOOONG tenure at Illinois!

That Bears team that lost in the Super Bowl benefited from an unbelievable Defense and maybe the best Kick Off returner ever in Devin Hester which helped make up for weak QB / WR. The Tampa 2 D that Lovie ran had phenomenal athletes which clearly hasn’t translated to his talent group at IL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In all seriousness, if they replace him after the season it probably wouldn't be a big deal for recruiting, would it? They don't do much travel during the season, do they? I'm not as familiar with that aspect, so just trying to get a feel for how big of a deal this would be.

I really dislike quotes like this, they are like a self-imposed curse. We are not way ahead of them and could lose to them any time. Hopefully that is not true 2 years from now, but anyone on our schedule could beat us with a few breaks, and a bad game by us.

Top Bottom