Gross: Gophers should be better. Their record might be worse.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Gross:

Outlook: From 2011-15, substance-over-style Jerry Kill turned out smart, overachieving and mostly winning teams in Minneapolis. When Kill’s health issues forced him from the job the program turned to a big personality, Fleck, who had pulled the small miracle of putting Western Michigan on the national map.

Fleck’s first year wasn’t as good as 5-7 looks. The week 10 romp over Nebraska was a weird outlier. In the other four of its last five games, Minny was outscored 119-20. The Gophers only other B10 win was by seven, at home, as a two-touchdown favorite, against sad-sack Illinois.

At Western Michigan, Fleck went from one win in year one to eight in year two. A lot of people got their feet wet last year, and this year’s edition is a fairly veteran group. The Gophers should simply be a little better in most areas.

The exception might be quarterback, a position at which, incredibly, Minnesota has had no NFL draft picks since 1972 and no first-team all B10 choice since 1961 (hat tip: Phil Steele). This year there are five QBs on the roster, none of whom have thrown a pass for the Gophers.

The schedule, including trips to Ohio State and Wisconsin, looks a little tougher than last year. The Gophers should be better. Their record might be worse.

Quotable: “I thought our team last year wanted to win, but we didn't refuse to lose,’’ Fleck said in Chicago.

Prediction: 6-6, 3-6.

https://lancasteronline.com/sports/...cle_08877a2e-9c32-11e8-b4ca-2be8886d68cc.html

Go Gophers!!

Says their record might be worse, as the headline, then goes on to predict their record will be better. OK

Says their record might be worse, as the headline, then goes on to predict their record will be better. OK

I'm confused by this.

When I read the headline, I was going to post something like...

"See everyone... everyone agrees with PJ that we'll be younger and don't expect a lot of wins while we improve this year" (#wins-don't-matter-this-year)

But my narrative was shot to hell by him predicting more wins than last year.
I don't know what I'm going to post on Gopherhole now to help promote / defend PJ and his setting of expectations.

per Gross:

Outlook: From 2011-15, substance-over-style Jerry Kill turned out smart, overachieving and mostly winning teams in Minneapolis. When Kill’s health issues forced him from the job the program turned to a big personality, Fleck...

Um, wasn’t there maybe one other coach before Fleck?

Top Bottom