Stewart Mandel is Not Rowing Anything

Urbandale

Reaction score
In his column in The Athletic, Stewart Mandel predicted the Gophers to finish 3-9 (1-8) and in last place in the B1G West. He cited the unknown at QB, which is understandable.

Mandel is an outstanding college football writer, but I think he's way undershot on this one.

In his column in The Athletic, Stewart Mandel predicted the Gophers to finish 3-9 (1-8) and in last place in the B1G West. He cited the unknown at QB, which is understandable.

Mandel is an outstanding college football writer, but I think he's way undershot on this one.

I like Mandel a lot, but you're right that he's selling the Gophers short. The defense will excel and six wins should be the minimum expectation.

The worst case scenario is obviously 0-12...but realistically, I think 3-9, 1-8 is the worst case scenario. That's losing the Fresno game & going 1-3 in the games against Maryland/Indiana/Illinois/Purdue.

I don't agree with him, but that's the fun of preseason predictions.

He's always been bullish on Northwestern, partly because of his ties to the school, but I will go on record saying that I just don't see the love for Iowa. In fairness, I will admit that I didn't see Iowa 2015 coming either...

I just shrug when I read these predictions from national writers. I am pretty convinced that all of them know nothing about Gopher football and just Google it before they write a story, scan the first article that pops up, and gather their information from that.

For a while, I used to get super pumped for the gophers and think that this was the break out year. While I do not think that we will go 3-9, I will certainly not be shocked if we do not make a bowl game. I have learned to keep my expectations low. I think the offense is going to struggle again. I am expecting a very vanilla offense for the non-conference games, that will spill over into the regular season. Leading to frustration for many on here, including myself. I am also concerned about the D's ability to both stop the run and pass. The thing about national writers is that they have no vested interest in the Gophers, so they don't make these predictions with maroon and gold glasses on. Do they know the team as well as some of the posters here, no. But they also have no incentive to bash the gophers and say they are going to do poorly if, in their heart of hearts, they think the gophers are going to do well. I just don't see anything about this team (and the national media I am sure agrees) that screams that we are a dark horse team.

While I do not think that we will go 3-9, I will certainly not be shocked if we do not make a bowl game.

Just out of curiosity, when was the last season (if at all) in the last three regimes (Brewster, Kill/Claeys, Fleck ... so basically 2007-2017) that your expectation was significantly higher than this?

For me it was definitely 2015. I thought 2014 was a pretty good season, relatively speaking. Stupid Illinois loss aside, the Citrus bowl isn't bad!

Last edited:

Just out of curiosity, when was the last season (if at all) in the last three regimes (Brewster, Kill/Claeys, Fleck ... so basically 2007-2017) that your expectation was significantly higher than this?

I'm not speaking for GO4, but for me, my expectations were pretty high going into 2015. We had one of the better Gophers teams in my lifetime in 2014 and returned a ton of experience on both sides of the ball. We opened the season at home against the #2 team in the country and a win there could've catapulted us into a season for the ages. Instead, we didn't capitalize, slogged through the rest of our noncon, forgot to show up at Ryan Field, Jerry Kill had a recurrence of his health problems and resigned, and we had a typical substandard season. That is easily the most underperforming team relative to expectations that I can remember.

I was pretty pumped for Brewster's second and third seasons. Even during the Mason year's I always got pumped at the beginning of the season, but that defense always let me down. In addition, I suffered through many heart breaking losses during the Mason regime so much so that it really made me scared to put my full faith in the Gophers to win the close games (I'm joking, of course.) I was certainly expecting good things when Claeys took over and I was ultimately happy with the 9 win season, but I was frustrated with our loss to Wis. Also, when we had Maxx Williams, I figured our team would be good and it was. Maxx was so good, he didn't need a great Qb to get him the ball. So there have been moments within each regime where I felt better about the team than I do this year.

I'm not speaking for GO4, but for me, my expectations were pretty high going into 2015. We had one of the better Gophers teams in my lifetime in 2014 and returned a ton of experience on both sides of the ball. We opened the season at home against the #2 team in the country and a win there could've catapulted us into a season for the ages. Instead, we didn't capitalize, slogged through the rest of our noncon, forgot to show up at Ryan Field, Jerry Kill had a recurrence of his health problems and resigned, and we had a typical substandard season. That is easily the most underperforming team relative to expectations that I can remember.

Also one of the worst feeling losses, the Michigan game, on the goal line, never mind that they wasted the clock, still could’ve punched it in on the last play, entire stadium is screaming to do it for Jerry. Nope.

Also one of the worst feeling losses, the Michigan game, on the goal line, never mind that they wasted the clock, still could’ve punched it in on the last play, entire stadium is screaming to do it for Jerry. Nope.

This was one of the defining moments of Tracey Claeys failure as a head coach. We had it on the 1/2 yard line with 19 seconds left. First down. Coming out of an official review, the team should have been prepared to immediately snap the ball. Instead they went through multiple motions, ultimately snapping it with 6 seconds left and throwing a sloppy pass, leaving two seconds on the clock. To add to this travesty, we also had a timeout to use.

Then to call for Leidner, a poor runner, to get the QB run on the last, completely predictable play, just a true failure all around. And it sits entirely on the coach. With first down and almost 20 seconds left and with a usable timeout, you get multiple rushes in with your best back. That was a loss snatched from the jaws of victory, and it was done with inept coaching.

This was one of the defining moments of Tracey Claeys failure as a head coach. We had it on the 1/2 yard line with 19 seconds left. First down. Coming out of an official review, the team should have been prepared to immediately snap the ball. Instead they went through multiple motions, ultimately snapping it with 6 seconds left and throwing a sloppy pass, leaving two seconds on the clock. To add to this travesty, we also had a timeout to use.

Then to call for Leidner, a poor runner, to get the QB run on the last, completely predictable play, just a true failure all around. And it sits entirely on the coach. With first down and almost 20 seconds left and with a usable timeout, you get multiple rushes in with your best back. That was a loss snatched from the jaws of victory, and it was done with inept coaching.

That goes down as another heartbreaking defeat to Michigan. That was not, however, the worse loss to Michigan I have witnessed. The 2003 loss to Michigan is one of those games that ripped the heart of out me. It took me days to get over that loss. Even when I think of it now, it brings back bad memories. We have had bad losses post-Mason, but some of those losses under Mason just ripped the heart out of you. Those who witnessed those years know what I am talking about.

That goes down as another heartbreaking defeat to Michigan. That was not, however, the worse loss to Michigan I have witnessed. The 2003 loss to Michigan is one of those games that ripped the heart of out me. It took me days to get over that loss. Even when I think of it now, it brings back bad memories. We have had bad losses post-Mason, but some of those losses under Mason just ripped the heart out of you. Those who witnessed those years know what I am talking about.

That game in 2015...wow. that cemented claeys legacy with me. I wanted him gone right there.

But the 2003 game will forever be the defining moment in modern gopher era. MN goes to the Rose bowl if we win, mase gets the stadium faster, more money for better coordinators and things could have been different....but alas.

That game in 2015...wow. that cemented claeys legacy with me. I wanted him gone right there.

But the 2003 game will forever be the defining moment in modern gopher era. MN goes to the Rose bowl if we win, mase gets the stadium faster, more money for better coordinators and things could have been different....but alas.

Yep. This was the moment. Riot cops were massing for God's sake. Still hurts. 2015 Michigan was bad too.

I like Mandel a lot, but you're right that he's selling the Gophers short. The defense will excel and six wins should be the minimum expectation.
PJ says we won't be competitive until 2020. 3-9 is about what to expect this season. In other words, don't have a meltdown if this is our record.
At the same time, a better record than this should make a person feel happy about this season.
Tamp down the expectations. We're young and not ready for primetime. Look for little steps of progress. Be happy whatever our record ends up being.
In any case, that's how I am approaching this season.

The play calls fall more on Limegrover than Claeys. Probably why limey got let go at the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The play calls fall more on Limegrover than Claeys. Probably why limey got let go at the end of the season.

The head coach has to own clock management in this situation. It’s honestly worth a three minute watch (the whole game is available on YouTube) if you need to get lathered up before a workout. The absurdity of the sequence is just the epitome of MN football in the recent past.

Also agree with others on the 2003 Michigan game. More devastating in terms of potential season. But the end of that Michigan game in 15 and the look on Tracey’s face as he tried to understand a simple situation was just a paragon of his coaching tenure.

Last edited:

I would be dissapointed.... but I don't think the prediction is all that crazy. The gophers haven't given people much reason to pick the over on us very much.

I was working 2nd shift back in 2003. The Michigan-Minnesota game was on a Friday night and I listened to most of it on the radio but then was able to punch out early, which was right towards the end of the 3rd quarter. I set my VCR for the game and my plan was to race home, catch the ending, and then go back and watch the entire game with some beers and savor the historic victory.
I had a little spring in my step as I turned in my time card. An older co-worker who remembered the 1960 national championship team just looked at me and said, "There's a whole quarter left. Remember, these are the Gophers", and shuffled on.
He was right, they were the Gophers, and doubt entered my mind.
As soon as I jumped in my car and turned the radio on everything went south, fast. And, well, we all know how the 4th quarter went.
I would imagine any Gopher fan old enough to remember can recall that evening as if it were yesterday.

Talking about that 2003 Michigan game is very therapeutic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2004 Michigan loss at the Big House is rarely brought up, but that was another absolute crusher

I wouldn't call Leidner a poor runner. They should have been ready to go right away with a QB sneak, then take a timeout right away if they didn't make it. Still have 14-15 seconds left, enough time to run 3 more plays.

I wouldn't call Leidner a poor runner. They should have been ready to go right away with a QB sneak, then take a timeout right away if they didn't make it. Still have 14-15 seconds left, enough time to run 3 more plays.

I concur and that sad ending after an incredible drive up to that point (KJ Maye’s awesome 4th down catch to keep it alive) and the pass to Drew was right in front of our seats.

The head coach has to own clock management in this situation. It’s honestly worth a three minute watch (the whole game is available on YouTube) if you need to get lathered up before a workout. The absurdity of the sequence is just the epitome of MN football in the recent past.

Also agree with others on the 2003 Michigan game. More devastating in terms of potential season. But the end of that Michigan game in 15 and the look on Tracey’s face as he tried to understand a simple situation was just a paragon of his coaching tenure.

I was not at the game, but saw it live on TV and still can't believe that ending. I agree that the head coach has to own clock management, but your statement was about the play calls. That was all Limegrover. His shifting play should have been the second play after a QB sneak on the first and a TO called right after if they hadn't gotten the score.
Coming out of the official review was TC suppose to call a TO while they were going through all those shifts? It was a stupid play call at that moment.

PJ says we won't be competitive until 2020. 3-9 is about what to expect this season. In other words, don't have a meltdown if this is our record.
At the same time, a better record than this should make a person feel happy about this season.
Tamp down the expectations. We're young and not ready for primetime. Look for little steps of progress. Be happy whatever our record ends up being.
In any case, that's how I am approaching this season.
PJ deserves to be fired if we go 3-9. Can't go backwards two years in a row. Brewster got to a bowl in year two, Kill as well. Mason would have if the kicker hasent shanked all those extra points at Indiana and they all inherited worse situations. This schedule sets up nicely, it's easy by big ten standards, no reason to not get to six wins

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

PJ deserves to be fired if we go 3-9. Can't go backwards two years in a row. Brewster got to a bowl in year two, Kill as well. Mason would have if the kicker hasent shanked all those extra points at Indiana and they all inherited worse situations. This schedule sets up nicely, it's easy by big ten standards, no reason to not get to six wins

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
A team that is one of the youngest in all division one football, with no quarterback that has ever thrown a collegiate pass and a defense with only one legitimate consideration for a B1G award says otherwise.
I get the optimism and hope that fans have at the beginning of every season, but this squad doesn't have the strength nor the experience to compete in most B1G games. People need to tamp down the expectations for this season. It's going to be long and ugly before it gets better.
I am believing Fleck when he says this team won't really be competitive until 2020.

Top Bottom