Recruiting in Wisconsin and Iowa

CWCWCW

Reaction score
I have had the perception that Minnesota has lot quite a few players to Wisconsin and Iowa. In return, I thought our Gophers rarely had success in signing high school recruits out of these states.

I was a bit bored tonight, so I scoured through 247 commitments since 2008 in MN, IA and WI. Surprisingly, I didn't see the results I expected. Here are the high school recruits MN has brought in from the states of Iowa and Wisconsin:

Tom Parish, Matt Eggen, Zac Epping, Foster Bush, Eric Murray, Owen Salzwedel, Austin Shirck, Gaelin Elmore, and Luke Rasmussen.

Tom Parish was the highest rated recruit but never played. Eric Murray was lowest rated, but with certainty was the best player from this list.

Here is who got away and went to Iowa or Wisconsin:

Marcus Binns, Malik Rucker, Amani Hooker, Joe Schafer, Brendan Kelly, Casey Dehn, Beau Allen, Tyler Marz, Keelon Brookins and Patrick Kasl.

Beau Allen stung, but the overall list is underwhelming.

We've lost some good players to Notre Dame, Arkansas, etc., but if they are out of the conference, it's not a slap in the face.

The next step for PJ is to turn the Ragnow's, Carroll's, etc into golden comittments.

We’ve kept the majority of our top players in-state going back to Brewster. Coughlin, Andries, Jones, McDonald, Schlueter to name a few. Every state will lose some. What makes it tough is that we don’t produce nearly enough. Only 4 in-state P5 recruits in the entire 2019 class isn’t nearly enough.

What about Connelly? Jack Cichy I think lived in WI but went to HS in MN.

Also Peter Mortell and Emmit Carpenter. No love for special teamers I guess.
I had listed the ones with scholarship offers from high school. I believe all the ones mentioned were walkons.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There's a kid at Nebraska who is going to remind us for three more years that we didn't get him...[emoji22]

There's a kid at Nebraska who is going to remind us for three more years that we didn't get him...[emoji22]

A major screw up by the last staff. We didn't even really pursue him as we had our sights on Dredrick Snelson...

A major screw up by the last staff. We didn't even really pursue him as we had our sights on Dredrick Snelson...

Come on PJ there is a 2020 recruit Gavin Williams down in Iowa. 6 foot 200 lbs running back who was the best sprinter in Iowa. Sub 11 sec. 100, 4.35 40. It seems like every program but MINN. Take a look.

We didn't even really pursue him

Not accurate - Gophers wanted Spielman as a DB, and regardless he probably wanted to play for Nebraska over Minnesota whether that was at DB or WR.

Not accurate - Gophers wanted Spielman as a DB, and regardless he probably wanted to play for Nebraska over Minnesota whether that was at DB or WR.
Yeah, I don't place any blame. I am simply noting a player, who is homegrown and playing in the B1G West, who will be a thorn in our side for the next three years.
The focus of the thread is mainly Wisconsin and Iowa, but there are other B1G schools who have plucked Minnesota kids.

I do wish we had kept the Snelson commitment. 46 catches, 695 yards, 8 TDs as a Sophomore. Also ran for a TD. Not saying I wouldn't want Spielman, just making a point that Snelson has been good.

Source? Not saying I don't believe you but I recall us recruiting as a WR/offensive athlete and while we offered him, we didn't exactly put the full court press on him the same way we did with other players in that class.

I do wish we had kept the Snelson commitment. 46 catches, 695 yards, 8 TDs as a Sophomore. Also ran for a TD. Not saying I wouldn't want Spielman, just making a point that Snelson has been good.

Snelson and Spielman to go along with Tyler Johnson would have been nice. All three are studs.

in the 80s IA and NE would get first pick of MN players..then in 90s WI ..then in 00s ND and now SD. The best we can hope for is IL and PUR get good and begin picking players out of WI and IA but thats about the best we can hope for.

There is a factor in all this that is simply out of our control:

some kids just want badly to get the heck out of Minnesota, for a while at least. Combine that with being "star struck" by an offer from an Ohio St, Notre Dame, etc. ... there's not very much we can do about that. Not saying that's a ton a guys, but it is more than zero percent factor.

Brendan Kelly was a starter at UW. Tyler Marz was a starter at UW, and is in the NFL.

in the 80s IA and NE would get first pick of MN players..then in 90s WI ..then in 00s ND and now SD. The best we can hope for is IL and PUR get good and begin picking players out of WI and IA but thats about the best we can hope for.

Another award winning post from Hockeytown.......

Brendan Kelly was a starter at UW. Tyler Marz was a starter at UW, and is in the NFL.

Kelly was a starter, but was he that much better than DL Wilhite? To me, he wasn't. If you think he was, I would argue the impact wasn't huge and as if that was the difference between winning & losing any games.....

Similar to John Stocco....was he better than Bryan Cupito? I don't know; I liked Cupito & became an even bigger fan of his after he played on one leg vs. Alabama in the Music City Bowl. We may have not had some guys, but they would have been replacing other guys who made an impact.

Tyler Marz would have been nice to have. From what I heard, he was never about Minnesota from the start & all about Wisconsin....

Source? Not saying I don't believe you but I recall us recruiting as a WR/offensive athlete and while we offered him, we didn't exactly put the full court press on him the same way we did with other players in that class.

This is my recollection as well. I believe a few other teams offered him before us and we never appeared that interested. Whether that was entirely due to us or his lack of interest who knows...

Kelly was a starter, but was he that much better than DL Wilhite? To me, he wasn't. If you think he was, I would argue the impact wasn't huge and as if that was the difference between winning & losing any games.....

Similar to John Stocco....was he better than Bryan Cupito? I don't know; I liked Cupito & became an even bigger fan of his after he played on one leg vs. Alabama in the Music City Bowl. We may have not had some guys, but they would have been replacing other guys who made an impact.

Tyler Marz would have been nice to have. From what I heard, he was never about Minnesota from the start & all about Wisconsin....

It didn't help that we were recruiting him during the fall when Brewster was fired IIRC.

Top Bottom