NE, IL, WI, IA, IN about 60 first and second year guys; same as Minnesota

swingman

Reaction score
Minnesota listing 60 first and second year guys on roster...33 frosh, 25 redshirt frosh, and 2 true sophomores on roster.

Nebraska listing 68, Illini 62, Iowa 60, Wisconsin 60, Indiana 59. Maryland 54, Purdue 53.

I think most us realize this is how college football works. I for one, am not upset Fleck uses it as a pre-excuse. Don't think he will need one this year. Coaching staff has settled in and the players will be in better positions to execute. BTW, I do judge winning by the scores.

The implication of the OP is that all football players — regardless of their backgrounds, regardless what program they’re at and what the current situation is at that program — perform the same during their first two years in college football.

Poppycock.

Pretty much every team in the country has similar roster makeups due to the cap on yearly scholarships, correct?

I think when Fleck mentions how young they are, it is because they'll be playing a lot of those freshman and sophomores, or at least a higher % than most other programs.

Lies, statistics, and....I can't remember the other thing.

Seriously though, I think we all kind of suspected that was a red herring. Our coach is a blowhard. I'll believe the H.Y.P.E. when I see the R.E.S.U.L.T.S.

Pretty much every team in the country has similar roster makeups due to the cap on yearly scholarships, correct?

I think when Fleck mentions how young they are, it is because they'll be playing a lot of those freshman and sophomores, or at least a higher % than most other programs.

Yep. Don't see why that's so hard for others to understand.

Seriously though, I think we all kind of suspected that was a red herring. Our coach is a blowhard. I'll believe the H.Y.P.E. when I see the R.E.S.U.L.T.S.

Not sure I can remember the last Gopher Head Coach who didn't tell people that he had a "young team". That's includes Glen who coached here for 10 years.

Yup. People always miss that one

Hey if you can’t support PJ and the Gophers go somewhere else. No one appreciates your negativity. You and Pat R must have partied together.

I'm at the age now I call the players "kids" even when they are seniors so I think the team is 100% young. Doesn't matter as long as they win. Beat Wisconsin.

Minnesota listing 60 first and second year guys on roster...33 frosh, 25 redshirt frosh, and 2 true sophomores on roster.

Nebraska listing 68, Illini 62, Iowa 60, Wisconsin 60, Indiana 59. Maryland 54, Purdue 53.
But but culture, hyprr winning is an opinion etc

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I think most us realize this is how college football works. I for one, am not upset Fleck uses it as a pre-excuse. Don't think he will need one this year. Coaching staff has settled in and the players will be in better positions to execute. BTW, I do judge winning by the scores.

I'm gonna be the guy who says it isn't even an "excuse".

Hey if you can’t support PJ and the Gophers go somewhere else. No one appreciates your negativity. You and Pat R must have partied together.
**** off I have season tickets to three sports I'll say what I want. We all want to win, or at least be one of the 80 teams that goes to a bowl

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Interesting mix of teams to list. I wonder why other B1G teams were omitted?

Interesting mix of teams to list. I wonder why other B1G teams were omitted?

OK. OSU has 60+, Mich has 60+, PSU has 60+, Purdue has 60+, MSU has 59...you can look up the rest.

Not sure I can remember the last Gopher Head Coach who didn't tell people that he had a "young team". That's includes Glen who coached here for 10 years.

Tracy Claeys

Not this again.

I hear you, but the same "not this again" could be said about what PJ says all the time (and some posters on here point that out).
I will say again, I don't really care what the coach says as long as they win, hopefully sooner than later. Not sure I can wait 5 more years for them to win 8 games again.

I hear you, but the same "not this again" could be said about what PJ says all the time (and some posters on here point that out).
I will say again, I don't really care what the coach says as long as they win, hopefully sooner than later. Not sure I can wait 5 more years for them to win 8 games again.

What surprises me is the number of people who bring these things up to argue about it... .... on a Gophers' themed message board.

If this was just an NCAA message board, and we were arguing after a game between Minnesota and Timbuktu University where we said "Wow, we played well being so young!" I'd expect maybe a fan from Timbuktu University to be like "Hey, you aren't that young. Your coach says it, but we're almost as young as you!"

But we have this whole legion of Gopher fans who are just looking for reasons to be upset or find disagreement with the coach of our football team trying to paint him as a liar / sales person or somewhere in between.

I think by now we all know what PJ Fleck is and isn't.

It gets a little old arguing points about whether we have 9 seniors or 12, or whether we have 60 freshman or 58. In the end, it matters to noone.

It's not like there are a ton of people listening to Sid on Sunday morning going...

"Geez, I'm not sure I like this Gopher Football Program",
who then change their opinion when Fleck says

"We're a young team. This year isn't about wins."

Who then respond
"You know, I might give this PJ guy a chance!"
or
"This guys is a snake oil salesman! I'm pulling my support and not watching a game. I can't trust him."

At this point, you either like PJ or not, and you've had ample time to buy season tickets or cancel your tickets. Or take whatever other actions you want to take.

This ongoing attempt to argue these points, no matter how you want to interpret the facts does not matter.

You'll be just as effective changing the world posting your political opinions on facebook.

As usual swingman fails to divulge the entire truth with these numbers to support his narrative. These numbers include walk-ons, which vary significantly by program and drastically inflate some of these numbers. When you look at only scholarship players, the Gophers and Illinois are easily the youngest of these teams.

What surprises me is the number of people who bring these things up to argue about it... .... on a Gophers' themed message board.

If this was just an NCAA message board, and we were arguing after a game between Minnesota and Timbuktu University where we said "Wow, we played well being so young!" I'd expect maybe a fan from Timbuktu University to be like "Hey, you aren't that young. Your coach says it, but we're almost as young as you!"

But we have this whole legion of Gopher fans who are just looking for reasons to be upset or find disagreement with the coach of our football team trying to paint him as a liar / sales person or somewhere in between...

Yep, very odd. Also odd that we have posters on here that claim they are big supporters of the Head Coach and the team, well, maybe not the team, who continue to insist that they have little to no chance to win more than a game or two in the Big Ten. Some who talk as if beating Fresno will take damn near a miracle!

Usually, and for other fanbases, it's the haters who claim their coaches and teams are losers, not the guys claiming they've got a chance to have a decent season.

Yep, damn odd indeed.

Yep, very odd. Also odd that we have posters on here that claim they are big supporters of the Head Coach and the team, well, maybe not the team, who continue to insist that they have little to no chance to win more than a game or two in the Big Ten. Some who talk as if beating Fresno will take damn near a miracle!

Usually, and for other fanbases, it's the haters who claim their coaches and teams are losers, not the guys claiming they've got a chance to have a decent season.

Yep, damn odd indeed.

We won 5 games last year. Now I’m supposed to demand 9 wins? With 2 freshmen QBs?

You do know there is a cap on how many scholarship players can be brought in every, right. So most teams will have about that number of underclassman on their team, adjusting for walkons, etc. The difference is how many of those underclassman will get significant playing time and that indicates a “young team”. A better indicator may be the number of juniors and seniors that are on the team and how many of them will start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, damn odd indeed.

Well, I'm a predict the worst, hope for the best type of guy.
When I've made my predictions, you'll find a couple things.

1. I stated I haven't seen the team play or the QB's so I have no idea so I'm not expecting much.
2. I've posted the current ESPN odds for each game in another post which shows them favored in only 5 of the 12 games.
3. I've acknowledged that two are should be wins, and two are should be losses, and the rest are pretty much toss up.

Earlier today I think I posted something to the effect it could be 4-8 to as good as 10-2. So I've been a bit inconsistent, but I don't know the right answer.

Top Bottom