Whalen to retire from the Lynx

It is time an amazing career a definite icon in this state. You could see this year she looked slower and maybe not in tip top shape. Thanks for all the great memories!!!

End of a long and storied playing career. Love the "rookie point guard" story from Mike Thibault in the article. I've seen about a dozen of the Lynx games this year, and I agree that "the mind may be willing, but the body is not". I'm glad that she's announcing now instead of waiting until next Spring. Her and her Lynx teammates will give it one more go in the WNBA playoffs and then she can turn the page from one of the most successful athletes in Minnesota history to what will hopefully be a long and very successful coaching career at the U of M.

Congratulations and thank you Lindsay Whalen for all the great memories at the U and with the MN Lynx!

You are simply awesome and a class act and an inspiration for a lot of young girls in the State.

The University is very lucky to have you as their next coach.

Why a press conference now? Has there ever been a press conference to announce retirement for someone who isn't retiring effective immediately?

Last edited:

Why a press conference now? Has there ever been an press conference to announce retirement for someone who isn't retiring effective immediately?

Never ever in the history of sports! Lol.. wow

Chase Utley July 13th lol...

Great, thank you. I don't see the need for the snotty comments and snide remarks - it was a sincere question. I've legitimately never seen or heard of this before, and frankly don't understand the point. It makes sense in other settings (e.g., President Kaler announcing his retirement a year early) because those people need to be replaced and it allows a search to begin. It's not like the Lynx are going to be conducting a search and conducting interviews to hire Whalen's replacement.

Maybe the Lynx get a home playoff game and Whalen gets to share one last moment with her fans.. that only happens if she announces it.. who knows.

It happens. Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter, David Ortiz. Although those players didn't announce during the season. They all did a "victory" tour in which they were honored in opposing ballparks and at home. With knowledge that Whalen was going to retire after the season, the Lynx may have encouraged her to announce it now so they could honor her in the last regular season game at Target Center. Just a thought. Otherwise, I was thinking that she would announce after the Lynx final playoff game.

Great, thank you. I don't see the need for the snotty comments and snide remarks - it was a sincere question. I've legitimately never seen or heard of this before, and frankly don't understand the point. It makes sense in other settings (e.g., President Kaler announcing his retirement a year early) because those people need to be replaced and it allows a search to begin. It's not like the Lynx are going to be conducting a search and conducting interviews to hire Whalen's replacement.

Maybe she feels like it will help seal the deal with a highly regarded recruit and didn't want "part-time coach" to be used against her. Maybe she figures if she announces it, that makes sure that she won't be tempted to change her mind and come back next season. Maybe she figures it is a way of getting more applause (no, I don't believe that). Or maybe because she seems like the ultimate no B.S. person and why be coy and beat about the bush until the end of the season dealing with the question over and over again. "So is this your last season, Lindsay?"

Maybe she feels like it will help seal the deal with a highly regarded recruit and didn't want "part-time coach" to be used against her. Maybe she figures if she announces it, that makes sure that she won't be tempted to change her mind and come back next season. Maybe she figures it is a way of getting more applause (no, I don't believe that). Or maybe because she seems like the ultimate no B.S. person and why be coy and beat about the bush until the end of the season dealing with the question over and over again. "So is this your last season, Lindsay?"

Na, she wanted to do it now so the fans in Connecticut and Minnesota could show up 1 last time and she wont have to answer anymore questions about when she'll retire. Happens like this quite a bit in sports. Utley did it right before he went back to Philly for the last time.

King James chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

You've been awesome as a player and now moving on as a full time head coach of the Gophers! You're timing was perfect as to retiring as I'm sure the ownership wanted to do something for you now as opposed to later.

Maybe the Lynx get a home playoff game and Whalen gets to share one last moment with her fans.. that only happens if she announces it.. who knows.

They might not get a home playoff game if they can’t get a Top 6 seed in the playoffs. Right now they’re at #7.

It’s a promotional opportunity for the last home games. It fills up arena, which helps Taylor, and also helps the team feed off the crowd for these needed wins.

Some WNBA players announced their retirements at the start the season.

All she does is win ! Champion and a class act. I can not wait for her to start her next career at the U.

Fleck chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

If the Lynx don’t find their mojo, Lindsey will be able to focus on the Gopher coaching business full-time real soon.

It is more like a four-octave performance by one of the greatest rock singer of all time!

Last edited:

Top Bottom