Gophers Attendance up in P.J. Fleck’s first year, Season Tickets down - Twincities.co

Iceland12

Reaction score
Attendance at TCF Bank Stadium was up in P.J. Fleck’s first season as the University of Minnesota’s football coach.

Average attendance for the Gophers’ home games in 2016, Tracy Claeys’ only full season as head coach, was 43,813, the lowest since TCF Bank Stadium opened for the 2009 season. That improved by an average of 545 fans a game to 44,358 last season.

The slight increase is in stark contrast with an average drop of nearly 1,000 fans across all Football Bowl Subdivision home games from 2016 to 2017, according to NCAA figures.

The Gophers’ season-ticket total, however, has dipped 726 from 22,131 a year ago to 21,405 as of Aug. 2, the U told the Pioneer Press on Friday. The renewal rates have been 87 percent in both years, the school said.

Athletics Director Mark Coyle was encouraged by the overall increase in attendance, but wants to push the mark closer to TCF Bank Stadium’s capacity of 50,805.

Coyle pointed to the success of Gopher Loyalty Program, which is in its second year of providing fans with customized experiences for the sports they care about. They’ve solicited feedback from fans in the program and have tailored their offerings, including revised concessions menus at TCF Bank Stadium.

“I promise that we are listening to our fans, and obviously, we need to sell more tickets,” Coyle said. “Season-ticket sales for football or any program is the backbone … in terms of generating some significant revenue for our department. So, obviously, we will continue to be aggressive.”

The Gophers can add to their season-ticket total through the season opener against New Mexico State on Aug. 30.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/08/...in-flecks-first-year-but-season-tickets-down/

I'm not sure TC really had a lot to do with attendance as much as a horrific 2015 and Jerry leaving ...

PJ is exciting. I don't doubt he sold some tickets with his presence.... I just don't know if he sold more than left previously or not.

Wins will put butts in seats.

I'm not sure TC really had a lot to do with attendance as much as a horrific 2015 and Jerry leaving ...

PJ is exciting. I don't doubt he sold some tickets with his presence.... I just don't know if he sold more than left previously or not.

Wins will put butts in seats.
I agree, 2017 also had the benefit of having Nebraska and Wisconsin on the schedule. 2018 has Iowa and that's it. Unless we overachieve, this will be a the lowest attended season at the Bank, just not a good enough product and a crappy home schedule. As a season ticket holder it's sad to admit.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I agree, 2017 also had the benefit of having Nebraska and Wisconsin on the schedule. 2018 has Iowa and that's it. Unless we overachieve, this will be a the lowest attended season at the Bank, just not a good enough product and a crappy home schedule. As a season ticket holder it's sad to admit.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yeah this year is pretty stinky schedule wise.

Also wins this year to boost attendance.... to have a real impact would have to be some serious wins.

The article also notes that we have less season ticket holders this year. What I take from it is Fleck and Claeys have little influence over ticket sales.
Win and people will show up.

The article also notes that we have less season ticket holders this year. What I take from it is Fleck and Claeys have little influence over ticket sales.
Win and people will show up.

Or don't abuse the true fans that have stuck it out for years with massive ticket price increases and they will continue to stick it out.

Average attendance for the Gophers’ home games in 2016, Tracy Claeys’ only full season as head coach, was 43,813, the lowest since TCF Bank Stadium opened for the 2009 season. That improved by an average of 545 fans a game to 44,358 last season.
https://www.twincities.com/2018/08/...in-flecks-first-year-but-season-tickets-down/

During some of the Gopher Metrodome years, the Strib would occasionally publish articles showing the difference between the paid Gopher attendance, and the actual Gopher attendance. Does anybody know if the actual attendance figure for TCF is available somewhere? There are games in recent years where the actual attendance is materially lower than the figure in the box score.

During some of the Gopher Metrodome years, the Strib would occasionally publish articles showing the difference between the paid Gopher attendance, and the actual Gopher attendance. Does anybody know if the actual attendance figure for TCF is available somewhere? There are games in recent years where the actual attendance is materially lower than the figure in the box score.

Yeah, Reusse would gleefully spout off about it on his radio show which was just terminated....

The Scholarship deal is hurting the football team right now. They brought it on too early as we know.

From my experience, tickets sold is generally higher than attendance.

Top Bottom