8/10 Gophers Practice Notes: Bateman has major potential, young players developing

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers held a family day practice in front of a crowd at TCF Bank Stadium on Friday afternoon. It was a chance to see some of the new players in action through several team sessions and drills. There are a few players who stood out as young contributors continue to develop. Here are a few thoughts from the up-tempo practice.

The QB battle continues
The quarterbacks continue to rotate and battle for the starting position. It’s way too early to name a front runner because both of them bring intriguing traits to the table. Tanner Morgan has shown an ability to create and extend plays. He doesn’t have as much arm talent down the field, but can get the ball out in the short-to-intermediate game. Zack Annexstad is more polished mechanically and can drive the football to the hashes better. He also has more touch as a vertical passer. It was a small sample size of reps in this practice, but it lines up with the evaluations I’ve made in the past at quarterback. P.J. Fleck said there are flashes of brilliance, but moments where the freshmen make mistakes.

“You know they’re getting there, they’re failing and growing every day,” Fleck said. “They do some amazing things and then, boom, they look like a freshman.”

The Gophers have more overall talent at the quarterback position, however, the inexperience will show up when they are thrust into action against premier competition. As a whole, there’s reason to be optimistic regarding the upside both of these players have.

Bateman is impressive

I would say the most impressive player on the practice field might have been Rashod Bateman. He is on another level when you watch him work. He runs patterns from a variety of different positions in the route tree and is rather nuanced in that area. It’s something you don’t see very often from a freshman wide receiver. He also showed an ability to make contested catches in traffic by high-pointing the ball and displaying excellent body control. At times, he’s still learning how to practice at this tempo, but you really see the full potential throughout the practice session. He has the chance to be one of the most explosive playmakers the Gophers have put on the field in recent memory. Fans should be really excited to see him play this season.

Wide receivers Chris Autman-Bell and Demetrius Douglas were both limited during Friday’s session. Coach Fleck wasn’t concerned and said, “they’ll be fine…they did some individuals.” Fleck indicated there are tweaks and dings at this point in training camp. When both of these players are back, the unit has many different weapons to line up the X, Y and slot positions. If the above players don’t practice, it shows off a little discrepancy in overall depth, but overall, there’s way more promise at the wide receiver position.

Green working in new role

Seth Green has transitioned to a pass-catching role in the Gophers’ offense. He has added considerable weight to his frame and has a wide catch radius. Green still has work to do from a route running standpoint, but he has the ball skills and frame to make plays in the red zone. He is a mismatch for teams to cover because of his body type and overall athleticism. With limited depth at the tight end (more of a mismatch guy) position, Green might play a larger role than people would anticipate. Bryce Witham had a strong spring and is another player who could rise to the top of the depth chart, too. He has some of the best movement skills out of the tight ends who have played the position before.

Young players stand out at defensive back
At the defensive back position, there are a few names to keep a close eye on entering the season. One is true freshman Terrell Smith, who chose the Gophers over an offer from Notre Dame. He possesses impressive length, physicality and ball skills to get into passing lanes. Smith is still adjusting to the college level, but showed off an ability to swivel his hips, stay tight to the receiver and mirror. He is progressing technically and will benefit from additional reps. When asked after practice, P.J. Fleck said he is a player who will be asked to contribute early in his collegiate career.

In addition to Smith, another name to watch is freshman C.J. Smith. He displays excellent transition quickness, agility and ball skills. He looked really smooth in the footwork drills and has the versatility to play in the slot, outside or at safety. Justus Harris also benefited from additional reps last year and may be asked to play a big role in the defense. The takeaway leaving practice was how much potential there is at the defensive back position among some of the young contributors. They’ll certainly be asked to step up early in their careers, especially with the four-game redshirt rule going into effect.

Get to know “Big O”
Up front, there are a few players I was watching intently throughout the session. Esezi Otomewo is a name to keep in the back of your mind. He has added a significant amount of weight, possesses unique physical traits and has the length/bend talent evaluators are looking for in a defensive end. He could be asked to play a large role if the Gophers are struggling to hold the edge. If he develops correctly from a technique standpoint, the ceiling is extremely high.

Defensive tackle O.J. Smith also commands plenty of attention inside. I want to see him show off a more consistent motor through reps, but he can take on a double team or win his rep to open downhill lanes for linebackers. I’ve said it before and will say it again, he is one of the key players up front. If he plays at a high level, it will elevate the play of everyone around him, specifically for guys like Carter Coughlin and Kamal Martin. Royal Silver also looks physically stronger and may be rotating into the mix this year. I think there will be plenty of players moving in and out of the mix up front because the Gophers’ depth is very inexperienced.

On the offensive line, Conner Olson looks noticeably bigger, but he hasn’t lost the movement skills that stood out in his skill-set. He is developing at a swift rate and exceeded expectations last year. With more of a power component in his game, it will be interesting to watch him play this season. P.J Fleck said after practice Jason Dickson will likely redshirt. He had several positive reps throughout the spring and other sessions I've watched. Either way, the tackle depth should be rather solid with Sam Schlueter also showing growth fundamentally.

Final Thoughts
Overall, there are many young players developing and learning with every rep. You can definitely see them growing with coaching and there is certainly plenty of upside among many of their skill-sets. It is so tough to project how this team will perform because there are many moving pieces. However, the amount of reps young players receive this year will most certainly help the program in future seasons. I hope to continue having a better read on the roster as I attend more practices in-between my Vikings coverage.

Here are videos describing Bailey Schoenfelder’s scholarship surprise.

Also, P.J. Fleck described the real reason why he took his team to the Beyoncé and Jay-Z concert on Wednesday.

“It’s not all about taking them to have fun, but to see what a fan sees and expects when they go to something.”

More Videos:

A Photo Gallery from Jared Hines: http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?83260-Photos-from-August-10th-practice

Last edited:

Great write up! This is the first I've heard of Dickson. It previously sounded like he was having academic issues. He'll definitely help the depth if he's good to go.

Great write up! This is the first I've heard of Dickson. It previously sounded like he was having academic issues. He'll definitely help the depth if he's good to go.

Thanks for the write up.. had a sick wife and couldn’t attend

Thanks Daniel for another great report.

Fleck said after practice that he'll likely redshirt. Somehow missed that. It was really hard to hear out on the field today.

Nothing personal to the writer, but phrases like "arm talent" are like nails on a chalkboard to me. Just me being old and crotchety again.

Let's try this: when comparing the QB's, Annexstad appears to have a stronger throwing arm.

Nothing personal to the writer, but phrases like "arm talent" are like nails on a chalkboard to me. Just me being old and crotchety again.

Let's try this: when comparing the QB's, Annexstad appears to have a stronger throwing arm.

I disagree. It could mean more than just strength. It could mean touch, release quickness, etc.
It's amazing that such an innocent term can affect you that way. Why don't you eat some lutefisk, that might calm you down.

I like that PJ took the guys to the Beyonce concert. I like it even more that he used it as a teaching moment for them by demonstrating to his players they have a responsibility to perform. Lots of people are counting on them...their teammates, family, coaches and fans all have expectations.

Michigan goes to the Vatican... Gophers go see Beyonce...we are closing the margin of differences. Go Gophers!

Zack Annexstad is more polished mechanically
Guess I expected Morgan to be ahead on the mechanics since he is a red shirt.

Zack Annexstad is more polished mechanically
Guess I expected Morgan to be ahead on the mechanics since he is a red shirt.

Purely speculation, This could all come down to resources at the HS level.

Annexstad most likely had a lot more resources at IMG from a training staff and coaching staff perspective vs Morgan at Ryle. The younger level it is implemented the longer the player has to polish the skill set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Annexstad most likely had a lot more resources at IMG from a training staff and coaching staff perspective vs Morgan at Ryle. The younger level it is implemented the longer the player has to polish the skill set.

I'm not a QB expert but from the video from the practice a few days ago, Annexstad has a short windup and quick release. Tanner seems to have a little longer motion with a more extended arm, but it sounds like Annexstad has the better long ball.

They'll both play this year.

Morgan has been at Minnesota since January of 2017.

It’s not as if we’re talking about Tebow vs Jeff George in terms of an elongated release...how are the progressions, the decision-making, play extending, accuracy. Can live with sub-par arm strength if the other items are superior. It will be interesting to see who wins the battle and while Morgan seems like the likely candidate at this point anything can happen.

I really liked Bryce Witham as a pass catcher coming out of high school but word is he’s been dinged up a lot. The TE corps seems to have a budding wealth of talent.

Not good that the WRs we are counting on seem to be dinged up already. Hopefully nothing too serious.

Excitement starting to build...

I'm not a QB expert but from the video from the practice a few days ago, Annexstad has a short windup and quick release. Tanner seems to have a little longer motion with a more extended arm, but it sounds like Annexstad has the better long ball.

They'll both play this year.

He does have a better down field throw and his motion is compact and quick. Morgan has a quick release as well, although he does a double clutch at times. Not sure if it a timing tool for him or what.

at QB, especially with younger players, it can come down to a question of leadership vs. physical ability.

In a perfect world, you would want the QB with the most physical ability to also have the best grasp of the offense, and be the kind of player that the rest of the offense will follow.

But, in the real world, you have to balance those concerns, and decide which is most important. Fleck keeps talking about how the Starting QB is the one who will win the team. It seems as if he really puts leadership on a high priority - maybe even above physical talent and/or grasp of the offense.

I still expect Morgan to be the week #1 starter. beyond that, we'll just have to see.

But - to second Pompous' point - you don't have to be able to throw the ball 40 yards on a line to be an effective QB. execute the plays, and complete the basic throws, and you can be successful - IF the other parts of the offense are functioning properly. Now, if the rest of the offense breaks down, and you have to put it all in the QB's hands, then maybe you go with the guy with the stronger arm and/or most physical talent.

Top Bottom