Big Changes At 1500 ESPN

Joe with his uninformed political talk did not fit a sports station, they just tried to out stupid each other and it wasn’t a schtick. Pat had some talent as story teller and a writer, he just chose to criticize the U constantly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joe with his uninformed political talk did not fit a sports station, they just tried to out stupid each other and it wasn’t a schtick. Pat had some talent as story teller and a writer, he just chose to criticize the U constantly.

Uninformed because he didn't agree with you.

I've read your posts, that is a big check in his informed column.

Last edited:

Souch was a sports writer and columnist, and a good one, for many years. I think he had the pulse of the average sports fan nailed pretty well.

He loves gopher football but despised that it it has been trash for 50 yrs. realfopher fans since the 60’s have a right to say what they want about what has transpired on the gopher gridiron. When We go the rose bowl reusse is at my table gratis

What??? He hated Gopher FB and even admitted so. He once said they made him cry as a kid and he never forgave them. Which was obvious with his negativity even when Kill had them rolling for a couple years. Just because he lived in the 60’s does not mean we have to listen to him trash the team. Thankfully now nobody has to listen to that BS.

Uninformed because he didn't agree with you.

I've read your posts, that is a big check in his informed column.

Uninformed because he grabs an antidotal tidbit and just makes crap up.

He used to be able to write well too, way back in the day I made a point of reading his work.... he gave that all up long ago.

Way past time but the early days with the call-ins from the impersonators were a never miss for me: Lou Holtz, Q-man, Brots, Puck, Jerry Burns, The Brain, and, of course, their Sid.

Maybe both will decide retirement looks pretty good because it is.

Those shows were classics. The crap Souch has done on his own is horrible. Maybe now he will have time to study up on the reality of climate change.

I started listening to Joe and Pat in the late 80's as a very young man. I had never been exposed to media that didn't always wrap everythiing up with a pretty bow. They were ripping on the Twins during their 1987 World Series run, and I found it very entertaining.
During the 90's, I'd often plan my bike ride, walk, etc. around Saturday Morning Sports Talk. I loved the frequent callers like Louis Cardinal, Railroad Dick, The Lake Detective, Lance, etc. One of my favorites was when the old lady Ruby called Patrick a heathen.
The show lost luster during the later years with Joe. When Joe left Saturday, I never got into the Judd thing. I've occasionally listened to Reusse in recent years, but his show time conflicts with my work.
End of an era. A bit sad, but the time is right. It was a good run.

What??? He hated Gopher FB and even admitted so. He once said they made him cry as a kid and he never forgave them. Which was obvious with his negativity even when Kill had them rolling for a couple years. Just because he lived in the 60’s does not mean we have to listen to him trash the team. Thankfully now nobody has to listen to that BS.

I actually think it's his defense mechanism. If gophers would start winning alot, I think his fandom would come out

He loves gopher football but despised that it it has been trash for 50 yrs. realfopher fans since the 60’s have a right to say what they want about what has transpired on the gopher gridiron. When We go the rose bowl reusse is at my table gratis

I think we now know what Pat's GH handle is.

I started listening to Joe and Pat in the late 80's as a very young man. I had never been exposed to media that didn't always wrap everythiing up with a pretty bow. They were ripping on the Twins during their 1987 World Series run, and I found it very entertaining.
During the 90's, I'd often plan my bike ride, walk, etc. around Saturday Morning Sports Talk. I loved the frequent callers like Louis Cardinal, Railroad Dick, The Lake Detective, Lance, etc. One of my favorites was when the old lady Ruby called Patrick a heathen.
The show lost luster during the later years with Joe. When Joe left Saturday, I never got into the Judd thing. I've occasionally listened to Reusse in recent years, but his show time conflicts with my work.
End of an era. A bit sad, but the time is right. It was a good run.

:drink:

Now the Minneapolis Tribune needs to be next in making changes. Their coverage is doing well as a whole in my opinion. Just need to remove a couple idiots.

So what are theorizing Judd and Mackey are going to do for Hubbard/1500 ESPN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judd spoke about it this morning.

It is not a format change. They are still going to be sports radio, but there will be changes to bring more sports. (I assume this is true just by removing Souch).
The timing of the football season would lead me to believe they are going to try to get more football content in.

I can assume a possible split of Mackey and Judd will come.
They will probably want someone hardcore sports to go up against noon to 3:00 PM on KFAN, so either one could absorb that time slot.

Not sure if either Mackey or Judd are really drive-time level. But I don't know who else they hire who would be.
Drive time can't survive either on sports alone.

Do they pilfer someone from KFAN?
Sage Rosenfels? Give him his own show?

I hope it's not more Mike Morris or Jim Souhan. Both of those have played enough and don't draw.

Uninformed because he grabs an antidotal tidbit and just makes crap up.

I don't listen to his show so not sure what to say except that this is a real problem in that many people can't handle the truth and think that people make things up. I've taken the time to visit with people at times and they have no clue whats going on. They blame the media for making things up.

I don't listen to his show so not sure what to say except that this is a real problem in that many people can't handle the truth and think that people make things up. I've taken the time to visit with people at times and they have no clue whats going on. They blame the media for making things up.

Yep.

alchemy2u is a Euphorian!

It is not a format change. They are still going to be sports radio, but there will be changes to bring more sports. (I assume this is true just by removing Souch).
The timing of the football season would lead me to believe they are going to try to get more football content in.

They will probably want someone hardcore sports to go up against noon to 3:00 PM on KFAN, so either one could absorb that time slot.

Not sure if either Mackey or Judd are really drive-time level. But I don't know who else they hire who would be.

I hope it's not more Mike Morris or Jim Souhan. Both of those have played enough and don't draw.

mike morris....please no. you can also file chris reuvers and 'the rookie' under never need to hear them again

I used to like Reusse and Soucheray (and Barriero), but these guys seem to get jaded and bored after they've been doing it for 30 years. Young guys are almost always more interested in their work on the radio.

I think Mackey has a lot of talent, and someone like Rosenfelz is a great idea. I'm sure there are plenty of young guys out there who would be great; they might have to look outside the market. Souhan or Morris getting a show would tell me they have no real interest in making this work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Apparently management doesn't get it that people like, Souhan, Reusse and Morris are like a disease, they just won't go away and nobody wants them around.

If you ever listen to Joe’s garage logic shtick he is not very strong on understand most subjects. He just babble around on how he feels about things without any research or supporting back ground. Another poster mentioned his mocking climate change, Joe justifies it by the current daily temperatures. And Joe isn’t the media.

Last edited:

KFAN is an enigma. The morning show is so juvenile and full of dick jokes, it should be easy to complete against. The PA show is were you can get your Vikings fix, but it is so full of PA wanting to hear himself talk. The Noon to 3 common man show is one of the most unlistenable programs on radio. Some people think he has a sophisticated sense of humor, but it basically dead air and should be easy pickings for 1500. Barreiro biggest asset is his regular guests.

KFAN has thrived with the built in advantage of having the Vikings and Gophers rights and having the iHeart connections and being on FM, they’ve thrived and the content has gotten complacent. Would love for 1500 to come out with a really polished, top of the line sports-focused group of shows to really give KFAN some competition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zulgad also said program director, Brad Lane, was among the employees actually fired. Lane oversaw the switch from talk to sports talk. I'm assuming there will be a new programming director.

KFAN has thrived with the built in advantage of having the Vikings and Gophers rights and having the iHeart connections and being on FM, they’ve thrived and the content has gotten complacent. Would love for 1500 to come out with a really polished, top of the line sports-focused group of shows to really give KFAN some competition..

Having the Vikings really does help anybody who has them in this market. Though wouldn't say that KFAN has thrived. They average less than 4 out of every 100 listeners in the market.

From the O.P. link:

KSTP has lagged in the ratings, far behind sports rival KFAN (100.3 FM). Overall, it ranked 21st among adult listeners in July with a 1.0 audience share, according to Nielsen Audio, compared to a 3.7 share for No. 11 KFAN.

Having the Vikings really does help anybody who has them in this market. Though wouldn't say that KFAN has thrived. They average less than 4 out of every 100 listeners in the market.

From the O.P. link:

KSTP has lagged in the ratings, far behind sports rival KFAN (100.3 FM). Overall, it ranked 21st among adult listeners in July with a 1.0 audience share, according to Nielsen Audio, compared to a 3.7 share for No. 11 KFAN.

That's in July, in the middle of the sports abyss with a bad Twins team. Once Vikings season gets going KFAN usually jumps into the 7-8 range and is one of the most listened to in the market.

Yeah, any station that has the Vikings will be a major player during the season. KFXN (KFAN) can be at/or near the top in October and drop to half that by the Summer. They have done well among the adult male demo too. Probably goes hand-in-hand with the Vikings contract.

Last edited:

Top Bottom