Big Changes At 1500 ESPN

Maybe Pat will start posting on GopherHole with this extra time...

Surprising, yet not.

I wonder what they are thinking for new format? ESPN or other radio syndicated all day?

Judd must have gotten a 5 year deal when he signed on.

As someone who never listened to 1500, I'm most curious who gets hired and if it affects the KFAN staff in anyway.

As someone who never listened to 1500, I'm most curious who gets hired and if it affects the KFAN staff in anyway.

If KFAN was smart they'd beef up their digital/podcast presence and give podcasts/columns to Mackey, Judd, Collar, and Wetmore.

Apparently there was some bad blood between Phil and KFAN when he left so I don't know if he'd come back.

Reusse the Gopher FB hater. Not a sad day for many of us.

What if Gopherhole and Nadine got a show replacing them? That would be awesome. Dr Don could be a frequent caller from the AZ mountains

Mackey just clarified, he's still on board and they'll have updated sports announcements after Sept 7.

If KFAN was smart they'd beef up their digital/podcast presence and give podcasts/columns to Mackey, Judd, Collar, and Wetmore.

Apparently there was some bad blood between Phil and KFAN when he left so I don't know if he'd come back.
Don't mind Mackey, Judd is awful, just awful. Never heard of the other two.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Mackey got fired from KFAN no chance in hell.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

End an era. I like both shows. Too many on here get their undies in a bunch over Pat. You all play into his schtick.

Now that radio gig is done, more time to put the needle to folks on this board

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Way past time but the early days with the call-ins from the impersonators were a never miss for me: Lou Holtz, Q-man, Brots, Puck, Jerry Burns, The Brain, and, of course, their Sid.

Maybe both will decide retirement looks pretty good because it is.

It's hard to be a "Sports Station" in a mid-level market if you don't have any teams! The Vikings are on KFAN. The Twins are back on WCCO. That's where you can find the Wolves too. Gopher Football is on KFAN 100.3. Gopher Men's Basketball is mostly on KFAN but also on 1130am. Men's Hockey has also been banished to 11:30am.

1500 ESPN only gets some National Broadcasts.

Talk radio itself has gone down the tubes. Sports talk radio only works if you have teams to broadcast.

Last edited:

Reusse the Gopher FB hater. Not a sad day for many of us.

100%. Reporters can be an access to the community or be negative and continue to tear down a program. Despite being here in Minnesota he chose to tear down the program. I won't miss him.

Mid-level? Mpls/St. Paul is the #15 media market in the country. In a metro area that has pro FB, baseball, basketball, hockey, WNBA, a D1 College athletic program, and lots of quality small-college athletic programs.

I think there is still an opportunity for a second sports-talk station to share the market with KFAN. KFAN is pretty heavy in shtick with the morning show and Common, so a more serious or sports-oriented format could work with the right personnel and a strong signal.

100%. Reporters can be an access to the community or be negative and continue to tear down a program. Despite being here in Minnesota he chose to tear down the program. I won't miss him.

He loves gopher football but despised that it it has been trash for 50 yrs. realfopher fans since the 60’s have a right to say what they want about what has transpired on the gopher gridiron. When We go the rose bowl reusse is at my table gratis

Mid-level? Mpls/St. Paul is the #15 media market in the country. In a metro area that has pro FB, baseball, basketball, hockey, WNBA, a D1 College athletic program, and lots of quality small-college athletic programs.

I think there is still an opportunity for a second sports-talk station to share the market with KFAN. KFAN is pretty heavy in shtick with the morning show and Common, so a more serious or sports-oriented format could work with the right personnel and a strong signal.

Debated calling it that myself and not a Media professional like yourself. Know that you're right about the position and how advertisers characterize the market. Know that is used to help sell advertising too. Just that isn't my concern.

Looking at it compared to the other large markets, I'll stick with calling it "mid-market" even at that 15th place. Maybe "Lower Large Market". They are closer to #23 Charlotte, NC than they are to #14 Phoenix.

As for room for another Sports Station, one without a major team, that really is debatable. Only glad that I wouldn't have to try and sell any commercials for it. Neither KFAN or 1500 KSTP were burning up the airwaves.

From the Strib story on the firing:

KSTP has lagged in the ratings, far behind sports rival KFAN (100.3 FM). Overall, it ranked 21st among adult listeners in July with a 1.0 audience share according to Nielsen Audio, compared to a 3.7 share for No. 11 KFAN.

For my fellow "non radio professionals" :

*NYC is at Number 1 with 16.25 million people over the age of 12
LA - 11.45
Chicago - 7.94
SF - 6.7
DFW - 6.06
Houston - 5.8
#DC - 4.9
Atlanta - 4.8
Philly - 4.6
Seattle - 3.86
Detroit - 3.8
Phoenix - 3.66
MPLS - 2.97
Puerto Rico - 2.9
San Diego - 2.85
Denver - 2.72
Tampa-St.Pete - 2.70
*Long Island - 2.47
#Baltimore - 2.40
Portland - 2.35
St.Louis - 2.34
Charlotte - 2.30

* and # are really the same markets, advertising money aside.

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/...udio/market_populations_and_rankings_2017.pdf

Last edited:

He loves gopher football but despised that it it has been trash for 50 yrs. realfopher fans since the 60’s have a right to say what they want about what has transpired on the gopher gridiron. When We go the rose bowl reusse is at my table gratis

If he loves Gopher Football, there are much better ways to express your views in a more positive fashion and he knows it. It would be like telling your wife you love her once in a great while, and then you treat her like trash all the time. He isn't sitting at my table at all. The team is getting there despite him dragging the program down. He's a pathetic loser that is of his choice.

If he loves Gopher Football, there are much better ways to express your views in a more positive fashion and he knows it. It would be like telling your wife you love her once in a great while, and then you treat her like trash all the time. He isn't sitting at my table at all. The team is getting there despite him dragging the program down. He's a pathetic loser that is of his choice.

You mean like telling people that 8 and 9 win seasons weren't any good because they didn't beat anybody? Or predicting that P.J. and his team will be lucky to win 5 games?

If that's the case this board is just damn full of positivity or Reusse is posting under a boatload of aliases.

Friendly reminder: Pat is dbag and just because he calls it trolling, it doesn’t mean he isn’t a dbag.

Top Bottom