Gopherhole posters 2018 prediction thread

Those of you picking pretty bad records for the Gophers this year don't get to complain when your predictions come true FYI.

Iowa is horrible. How about that?

From 2001-2017 (that's 17 seasons), Iowa has gone to a bowl game 15 times. In that period they're 13-4 vs the Gophers.

Now, you can say that the last five times the game has been played in Minneapolis, the Gophers are ahead 3-2. But as far as your post goes, it's pretty clearly not true.

Those of you picking pretty bad records for the Gophers this year don't get to complain when your predictions come true FYI.

Yes, because their predictions really have a lot to do with how the team plays.

PJ himself is the one tamping down expectations. Even some of the biggest PJ supporters on here are tamping down expectations. I really hope it's a case of under promise and over deliver on PJ's part.

I've predicted the worst so far, (4-8) but I haven't seen anything on the QB's, and some guy just predicted in an article that our defense will give up an average of 30 points per game.
And wins don't matter this year which I'm fine with, so I likely won't complain much.

That is a bizarre claim. There have been plenty of years where I expected the twins to be awful, and was upset that they ended up actually being awful. The fact that I accurately predicted how bad they were shouldn't have precluded me from being annoyed that they were actually that bad.

That is a bizarre claim. There have been plenty of years where I expected the twins to be awful, and was upset that they ended up actually being awful. The fact that I accurately predicted how bad they were shouldn't have precluded me from being annoyed that they were actually that bad.

Good point.

If they go 4-8 or 5-7, I still might complain if Fleck is doing something really dumb or if we're losing games to teams we should beat right after we beat someone solid.

From 2001-2017 (that's 17 seasons), Iowa has gone to a bowl game 15 times. In that period they're 13-4 vs the Gophers.

Now, you can say that the last five times the game has been played in Minneapolis, the Gophers are ahead 3-2. But as far as your post goes, it's pretty clearly not true.

Your misreading him. The statement "Iowa is horrible." can be (and is) true without any reflection of the skill level of their football team.

A few posters now are predicting a homecoming win vs Iowa.

I'm just wondering why that is the case, this year? Homecoming magic in the air ... ?

Although we didn't win last year vs. them, or the year before, or the year before, all of those games were close. No reason not to think that this year will be the same only difference is we will win this close game due to the HC crowd.

Last season, when posters like me predicted 8 wins, we were told it was because we wanted PJ to fail. It's all too confusing!!:p

I've predicted the worst so far, (4-8) but I haven't seen anything on the QB's, and some guy just predicted in an article that our defense will give up an average of 30 points per game.
And wins don't matter this year which I'm fine with, so I likely won't complain much.

Wins will always matter. I'll never be fine with losing, but being competitive in the losses would make them more tolerable.

NMSU: W
Fresno State: L
Miami: W
Maryland: L
Iowa: L
OSU: L
Nebraska: L
Indiana: W
Illinois: W
Purdue: L
Northwestern: L
Wisconsin: L

4-8

2-1
2-7

This is my expectation as well, but if one of the young QBs can play with some 400 level moxie I will be really happy.

8-4 and earning a nice bowl game, which outcome I will not predict...

6-6 regular season
W in lower-tier bowl game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, wouldn't be fun if GopherHole gave a prize for picking the schedule correctly..... any small gesture would keep things interesting among us amateur handicappers.

NMSU: W
Fresno State: W
Miami: W
@Maryland: W
Iowa: L
@OSU: L
@Nebraska: L
Indiana: W
@Illinois: W
Purdue: W
Northwestern: W
@Wisconsin: L

8-5 and I don't care what we do in a bowl game....This year starts a climb in college football that has rarely been seen by Gopher fans.

Fleck & Co. eliminate the 9-win argument going 8-4 (5-4), but also extend the Wisky streak another year, and are unranked at season's end.

In line for a trip back to Citrus but for 2015 appearance, Gophs get snubbed for Outback berth and passed over for Holiday due to 2016 appearance. End up at TaxSlayer Gator Bowl New Year's Eve, where Gophs win in a complete rout, taking out the frustration of another loss to the Badgers on SEC team ranked in top 20.

What?!?!?

This is the single dumbest thing ever written on Gopherhole and that's saying a lot.

2-10 Expect a lot of ‘it coulda gone either way’. I expect scattered defenses that get blown out like last year coupled with qb play that states we are still paying for Jerry’s mistakes.

5-7 for 2018. Bonus prediction: Gophers sport a +4 win differential in 2019.

A few posters now are predicting a homecoming win vs Iowa. I'm just wondering why that is the case, this year? Homecoming magic in the air ... ?
My reasoning is that the last 3 games have been decided by one touchdown or less. Also, Iowa is only exceptional every 5-6 years on average and are currently in the middle of one of those stretches. Add in home field (homecoming doesn't seem to matter), and I could see a close win. Mainly I expect to be 3-2 heading into Columbus, with losses to two of three vs Fresno/Maryland/Iowa.

2-10 Expect a lot of ‘it coulda gone either way’. I expect scattered defenses that get blown out like last year coupled with qb play that states we are still paying for Jerry’s mistakes.

Did PJ not recruit your kid or something?

I’ve got 10-3, with axe coming home and Gopher fans forever shortening our quarterback’s name to Zach Axestead!

New Mexico State, Miami (OH), Indiana, and Illinois are all 'should-wins'. If we drop one, I can see an upset elsewhere as we go through our growing pains. Anything under 4 wins and you're drinking too much of the 'Minnesota Curse' flavored Kool-aid.

Those wins coupled with losses to Ohio State and Wisconsin are the only 'safe bets', whereas I leave you with six "it coulda gone either way" scenarios. Now if you want to talk hockey on the sister forum, I'm game for your predictions for the start of the Motzko era.

I’ve got 10-3, with axe coming home and Gopher fans forever shortening our quarterback’s name to Zach Axestead!
I cannot show the same confidence in your record prediction, but I will support your catchy "Zach Axestead" coined phrase! Well done.

Did PJ not recruit your kid or something?

I like pj and hope we go 10-3 with a rose bowl win where I dine with reusse and dpdoll. It’s just that the players lack of play time spell that this is our year of misery.

Ugh. Heart says 6-6, head says 5-7. Too much youth at key positions and depth issues at others. I love the talent trajectory and believe this team will look a lot more talented than last year's version just based on the eye test. Probably play a lot of close games and will improve as the year goes on. I'll say wins against NMSU, Miami, Indiana, Illinois, and Purdue. Single digit losses to FSU, Maryland, Iowa, and Neb. Not so close against OSU and Wisc.

Easy to imagine anything from 4-8 to 8-4. Purdue and Nebraska could be much worse than widely predicted. The FSU game is at night, at home, against a West coast team -- could easily be a win. Maryland might fire half their staff the week of the Gophers game. Iowa lost a ton of talent. And of course, our very own Gophers have so many questions marks: QB, DL, S, young WR's. Can't wait for the season!

NM - W
FSU- L
Miami - W
Maryland - L
Iowa - W
OSU - L
Neb - L
IU - W
IL - W
PU- W
NW - W
WI - L

Overall: 7 - 5
5 - 4 in conference play
Key Swing Games: Fresno State (a very tough test against a team that won 10 games last year), Maryland (first BIG10 game, first road game, Maryland program could be in trouble with this latest news), Iowa (first home conference game, first trophy game, it's Iowa...need I say more)

5-7 (and I still say +\-2) but the team will play better as the year goes on and will be competitive. Next year and 2020 Gophers are contending due to the maturation of their current talent!

As a rule I don't like to make predictions, because so much can change during the course of a season, especially with injuries. (with the proviso that the new 4-game red-shirt rule could minimize the impact of injuries at certain positions.)

I understand the roster issues, and the inexperience.

But - if you tie me down and force me to make a prediction:

6-6.

(but - I could see anything from 4-8 to 7-5, depending on a number of circumstances)

6-6 (4-5). Will lose to Fresno St but team will get better as the year goes on.

Top Bottom