All Things David Roddy Recruitment Thread - Class of 2019 (Gophers Offered)

I like the Gophers chances. Roddy said his list wasnt in any order, but he put MN down first,

Brad Underwood, Stephen F. Austin—-Oklahoma State—-Illinois

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I should've been more clear- I meant spending one season as the head coach at three separate schools (Underwood spend 3 years at SFA).

Niko jumped from Drake to CSU after one season, and would be jumping from the Rams after one season to come here.

Pitino will win enough to keep his job. If he does not do that Medved will not get the job. You have to win much more than he has. He is under .500 . Hire someone who has won big at a tough place to win.

Pitino will win enough to keep his job. If he does not do that Medved will not get the job. You have to win much more than he has. He is under .500 . Hire someone who has won big at a tough place to win.

Dan Monson won big at a tough place. I certainly have a different evaluation of Pitino than you up to this point, but would agree that he needs to keep proving himself. I will be very disappointed if we have to start all over again. There is no guarantee that we'd be able to find a great coach plus the growing pains the first couple years while the new coach tries to catch up on recruiting.. Really hope it doesnt come to that.

per Marcus:

The recruiting process is almost over for Breck senior forward David Roddy, who said Wednesday he will announce his college choice soon between Minnesota, Northwestern and Colorado State.

Roddy told the Star Tribune he plans to make his decision next week at his high school.

The 6-foot-5, 250-pound three-star prospect just saw his football career come to a close with an upset loss to Cannon Falls in the section playoffs Saturday. Roddy was considering scholarship offers to play quarterback, but he's picking basketball over football at the next level.

"Thank you to all my football coaches and mentors who have invested their time into me as a quarterback and a football player," he said Wednesday. "That being said I have decided that I will be playing basketball at the next level."

Roddy and five-star Rochester John Marshall senior Matthew Hurt both attended the U’s Maroon and Gold scrimmage on Sunday at Williams Arena. He was impressed with Gophers coach Richard Pitino’s style and team. His former Howard Pulley AAU teammates Daniel Oturu, Gabe Kalscheur and Jarvis Omersa made their freshmen debut in front of fans.

“It was good seeing them play,” Roddy said, “(With) high pace and a sense of freedom, which I liked.”

http://www.startribune.com/breck-tw...ollege-hoops-will-decide-next-week/499179981/

Go Gophers!!

FWIW, NU has three verbals to date.

Robbie Beran F Richmond, VA 6'9" 210 0 10/1/18 VERBAL
Jared Jones F Powder Springs, GA 6'9" 230 0 9/30/18 VERBAL
Daniel Buie G Bethel, ME 6'2" 190 0 9/14/18 VERBAL

Niko did a very good job at furman and drake...rebuilt furman from trash to good in 3 seasons made drake crap to solid in one...still no ncaa Tournament for him and colo st is another rebuild ..so not a likely gopher coaching candidate

Hope we get Roddy. Athletic and Strong. Charles Barkley size and strength.

Sigh...we've been turned down so many times that now we are hoping to get a Roddy type. Nothing against him, but he was like our 300th choice.

Sigh...we've been turned down so many times that now we are hoping to get a Roddy type. Nothing against him, but he was like our 300th choice.

I think Roddy is going to be pretty good. I'll be happy if we get him. I look forward to him having a solid career for the Gophers and then signing with the Vikings.

Why wouldn't he want to play with his Pulley teammates? Family can easily come to games. Seems like an easy choice.

I guess then again, NW is a great school, and a private school. Private school kids like private schools, sometimes. Good coach there too. Reasonable (though not easy) drive. CO St has a Minn guy now, and cheap flights to Denver.

Roddy is at the Gopher game tonight. Hugged Oturu’s family before taking his seat

Roddy is at the Gopher game tonight. Hugged Oturu’s family before taking his seat

What kind of hug we talking here? We are family type of hug? Half hearted hug? Pat on the back hug? If so, how many pats we talking? The people need answers.

What kind of hug we talking here? We are family type of hug? Half hearted hug? Pat on the back hug? If so, how many pats we talking? The people need answers.

Family hug, no doubt. All three Oturu family members. Big smiles all around. Like seeing the one cousin at thanksgiving who isn’t a racist and hugging them because you’re not alone.

This all transpired one row in front of me. Was hard to miss Roddy. Big kid.

Family hug, no doubt. All three Oturu family members. Big smiles all around. Like seeing the one cousin at thanksgiving who isn’t a racist and hugging them because you’re not alone.

This all transpired one row in front of me. Was hard to miss Roddy. Big kid.

Haha this is the type of insight you don’t get anywhere else. On a serious note, it’s good to hear he’s seemingly got a pretty good friendship with Daniel and I assume the other Pulley kids. It’s hard not to like our chances next week.

Watching the three new MN kids, one can’t help but be impressed with the MN high school talent. Oturu is IMO already better offensively than Lynch. He is very quickly going to be a stud. Omersa and Kalscheur are more raw, but I’m impressed with them both. I’m really hoping Mr. Roddy joins the fun.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I haven't been following his basketball recruitment that closely (still think he's making a gigantic mistake by not playing college football), but I was surprised when I visited 247 and found that all 6 crystal ball picks are for the Gophers. Not too long ago it sounded like all signs pointed to Northwestern.

I haven't been following his basketball recruitment that closely (still think he's making a gigantic mistake by not playing college football), but I was surprised when I visited 247 and found that all 6 crystal ball picks are for the Gophers. Not too long ago it sounded like all signs pointed to Northwestern.

I think someone posted that NU had a few forward commits already. Could be why we are getting the predictions.

Out of curiosity, why do you think its a mistake for him not to play football? Aren't his basketball offers better than his football offers?

Out of curiosity, why do you think its a mistake for him not to play football? Aren't his basketball offers better than his football offers?

His physical makeup. His height/weight/athleticism profile screams elite DE - or even DT. If he committed to that position and spent two years in the weight room, he'd come out at 6'5" and 300 lbs. - basically another Ra'Shede Hageman. Unless you're one in a million (think Charles Barkley or Dennis Rodman), you're not going very far in basketball as a 6'5" post.

My presumption is that his football offers aren't great because he said in the past that he'd only play QB.

His physical makeup. His height/weight/athleticism profile screams elite DE - or even DT. If he committed to that position and spent two years in the weight room, he'd come out at 6'5" and 300 lbs. - basically another Ra'Shede Hageman. Unless you're one in a million (think Charles Barkley or Dennis Rodman), you're not going very far in basketball as a 6'5" post.

My presumption is that his football offers aren't great because he said in the past that he'd only play QB.

Makes sense, thanks.

His football offers weren't as great because he wanted to stay at QB. If he was willing to be a DE or a TE, he'd be power 5 easily.

He was at the maroon and gold scrimmage the UMD game and last nights game so I'm going with him ending up a Gopher.

So in other words, he wanted to play bball ... unless a big school happened to give him a chance at QB. Which none did.

Maybe he won't be in the NBA, but the Gophers and NW are Power 5 and want to give him a basketball scholarship, so he must be good enough to play in the Big Ten.

Yeah, my guess is he ends up being a good college basketball player and then signs with an NFL team as a TE or DE. Hopefully the Vikings.

Yeah, my guess is he ends up being a good college basketball player and then signs with an NFL team as a TE or DE. Hopefully the Vikings.

Agreed. But imagine how much better he could be if he stopped trying to delay the inevitable and just played football now. It's an extra 4 or 5 years of development in that sport. Did you know that Antonio Gates only transferred to Kent St. after leaving Michigan St. when Nick Saban wanted him to play only football (the audacity!). Imagine how good Antonio Gates could've been had he played football in college! He was a part-time player in his rookie season while he got his football legs back under him, then proceeded to dominate basically from year 2 on - and, again, without playing college football.

Agreed. But imagine how much better he could be if he stopped trying to delay the inevitable and just played football now. It's an extra 4 or 5 years of development in that sport. Did you know that Antonio Gates only transferred to Kent St. after leaving Michigan St. when Nick Saban wanted him to play only football (the audacity!). Imagine how good Antonio Gates could've been had he played football in college! He was a part-time player in his rookie season while he got his football legs back under him, then proceeded to dominate basically from year 2 on - and, again, without playing college football.

I agree. Not saying his NFL future is better off by playing basketball, but one advantage is he won't be taking the same pounding on his body that he would if he played football in college.

Top Bottom