All Things David Roddy Recruitment Thread - Class of 2019 (Gophers Offered)

His physical makeup. His height/weight/athleticism profile screams elite DE - or even DT. If he committed to that position and spent two years in the weight room, he'd come out at 6'5" and 300 lbs. - basically another Ra'Shede Hageman. Unless you're one in a million (think Charles Barkley or Dennis Rodman), you're not going very far in basketball as a 6'5" post.

My presumption is that his football offers aren't great because he said in the past that he'd only play QB.

Wes Unseld.

Prep hoops has him 199th...not too bad of a get for an in state kid for a team that has no other commitments and quite a few openings ...he will crank out a very high GPA..and might be a role player off the bench...

Agreed. But imagine how much better he could be if he stopped trying to delay the inevitable and just played football now. It's an extra 4 or 5 years of development in that sport. Did you know that Antonio Gates only transferred to Kent St. after leaving Michigan St. when Nick Saban wanted him to play only football (the audacity!). Imagine how good Antonio Gates could've been had he played football in college! He was a part-time player in his rookie season while he got his football legs back under him, then proceeded to dominate basically from year 2 on - and, again, without playing college football.

He could've torn his knee in college too, and never made it to the NFL. Goes both ways.

Not trying to s___ on your post. I get what you're saying, and what you're advocating for. Without knowing the future, it's impossible to say you're wrong. Just saying ...

Not sure how disappointed I’d be if he went elsewhere. And that’s with zero current commits. Still think we get a surprise or two.

Rivals guys saying tonight that MN is distant 3rd place to NW and csu... geez

The only way we are possibly a distant 3rd to Colorado State is if he looks at our roster and is really concerned about playing time.

He could've torn his knee in college too, and never made it to the NFL. Goes both ways.

Not trying to s___ on your post. I get what you're saying, and what you're advocating for. Without knowing the future, it's impossible to say you're wrong. Just saying ...

I don't think Roddy would have any better of a chance to make the NFL than any other generic 3 star that has played for the gophers or other Big Ten team. The odds of making it to either the NFL or NBA would be slim for Roddy and I'm sure it wasn't a primary factor or even factor at all in his decision on which sport to play.

I agree his chances to play in the NFL are higher than his chances to play in the NBA but I also think his chances of becoming quality college basketball player are better than becoming a quality college FB player. Roddy averaged over 15 PPG and 7 RPG last year for Pulley in the EYBL. Those are very good numbers for that level of play and are what similar to what Race Thompson and Zeke put up for D1 Minnesota.

Also if Roddy makes neither the NFL nor NBA which is very likely, he would have a much better chance at making decent money overseas playing basketball then he would playing minor league FB in the Arena league or CFL.

Rivals guys saying tonight that MN is distant 3rd place to NW and csu... geez

I have a hard time believing he'd be on campus 3 times in the last couple weeks if we were that far behind. Maybe hes just there to support his friends but that seems off to me.

I have a hard time believing he'd be on campus 3 times in the last couple weeks if we were that far behind. Maybe hes just there to support his friends but that seems off to me.

Not exactly Reid Travis 2.0, but my Gopher fan version of PTSD has flashes of Reid sitting in the stands just a few days before his announcement and then spurning us. Yes, it's hard to believe he would be doing that much hanging out at the U if he were not coming, but it is definitely possible.

Crystal Ball from 247 has him going to the gophers.

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie once again (for the 3rd or 4th time) said "I do know with the Gophers offering late in the process did not do them any favors."

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

My gut is that he goes to Colorado St. Supposedly he really likes the staff there and I am guessing he's their top priority. Would be surprised if he can still commit to Northwestern given they have Jones and Beran who both play the PF position.

Not exactly Reid Travis 2.0, but my Gopher fan version of PTSD has flashes of Reid sitting in the stands just a few days before his announcement and then spurning us. Yes, it's hard to believe he would be doing that much hanging out at the U if he were not coming, but it is definitely possible.

This. He got some free tickets to come watch his friends play. Reid did it. Geno did it. Look where it got us with them. Thats it.

Local TC AAU sources saying we aren't even being considered....ouch.

Could he beat out Curry or Omersa? Doesn't help that we are recruiting the guy who took his starting spot on Howard Pulley either.

I don't think he sees a lot of PT here.

Yeah, I wouldn't be much bothered if we took him, or if we didn't get him. He seems like a serviceable role player, but he also seems like somebody we could get another of, especially if we have the season I hope and expect to have this year.

Yeah, I wouldn't be much bothered if we took him, or if we didn't get him. He seems like a serviceable role player, but he also seems like somebody we could get another of, especially if we have the season I hope and expect to have this year.

This.

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie once again (for the 3rd or 4th time) said "I do know with the Gophers offering late in the process did not do them any favors."

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

Since Doogie appears to be going with this narrative, Northwestern offered David Roddy on 7/31/18, and Minnesota offered on 8/9/19. I highly, highly doubt a 9 day difference in the late Summer/early Fall is the difference in his recruitment. It's painfully obvious that the Gophers were not considering Roddy until they missed out on numerous other targets, so "the should have offered earlier narrative" doesn't fit here in any way. I think Pitino deserves a lot of criticism for his 2019 recruiting, but whether or not he lands an unranked kid shouldn't change the way you feel about how this cycle has gone for him. I am still very skeptical that the Gophers actually want Roddy as he doesn't seem to be a good fit for the roster (have Curry/Omersa capable of playing the 4, would be yet another big who hasn't shown the ability to space the floor, and the 2020 class has at least 3 local kids that play his position who are more highly regarded in Garcia, Carlson, and Dainja).

I would much rather get Kobe Brown, Dereon Seabron or Drumgoole than Roddy. Two of those three and Hurt would still be an awesome class.

RJ is predicting Northwestern. He also has a source saying Minnesota is pretty much out of it. He did say that all of the recent visits to Minnesota could be a wildcard in getting the Gophers back into it, but definitely don't expect good news tonight. So we shall see.

Roddy seems like an odd recruit to me. I would have rather had Robert Jones, who I think would have signed here in a second.

Roddy seems like an odd recruit to me. I would have rather had Robert Jones, who I think would have signed here in a second.

Yeah since he committed to Denver so early and signing day right around the corner. If we start showing real interest if he would hold off on signing

RJ just updated saying Minnesota has been notified that they are out of it.

So roddy sucks up free tickets vip treatment until the last minute then stabs them in the back..kid has nerve

So roddy sucks up free tickets vip treatment until the last minute then stabs them in the back..kid has nerve

Or he just wanted to make sure of his choice. Good luck to him at CSU or Northwestern.

NW it is then. Good coach, great city, and it's a private school, which private school kids sometimes gravitate towards (academics, prestige, upper crust student body, etc.). Good luck to him!

Probably watched them play a couple times and realized he wouldn't see the court.

CSU huh. Maybe he thinks he can play both sports there?

Top Bottom