All Things David Roddy Recruitment Thread - Class of 2019 (Gophers Offered)

He's an intriguing prospects, he does a lot well, I'm just not sure how that would play in the B1G given his size.

I wonder how his AAU stats/highlight tape would look compared to Jordan Murphy coming out at the same age?

If the athleticism is there and a prospect has long arms, it's possible to make up for a few inches of height when playing as an undersized 4.

I wonder how his AAU stats/highlight tape would look compared to Jordan Murphy coming out at the same age?

If the athleticism is there and a prospect has long arms, it's possible to make up for a few inches of height when playing as an undersized 4.

I don't know, but he looks like he can dribble a bit and get above the rim very easily.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

HuskerCorner: Nebraska basketball target David Roddy gets hometown team offer

One of the newest Nebraska basketball targets on the board has received an offer from his hometown team.
Those paying close attention to the David Roddy saga are going to see some twists and turns. The Nebraska basketball target received an offer from Minnesota Golden Gophers earlier this week.

That offer is going to start off a chain reaction of “will he or won’t he” questions that probably aren’t going to get answers anytime soon. Those questions are more than will he pick the Gophers’ basketball team or Nebrasketball.

Roddy is a different prospect altogether because he’s a talented football player as well. The Huskers aren’t looking at him as a football player. Neither is Minnesota at the moment.

Both teams are squaring off for the power forward on the hard court. The question is whether or not Roddy getting the offer from Minnesota is going to be the game changer.

He hails from Minneapolis, so that has to be something that comes into play. On the other hand, if he holds a grudge towards the Gophers because he hasn’t scored a football offer, that could turn the tide.

247Sports has rated Roddy as a three-star prospect in football. It should be pointed out he’s not rated in the site’s composite rankings. He has a future in football if he wants it.

Roddy has five offers in that sport, including one from Wyoming. At some point, he’s going to have to decide on what game he wants to play.

https://huskercorner.com/2018/08/12/nebraska-basketball-recruiting-david-roddy/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie reiterated a point about Roddy that he's now said in at least 3 different podcast updates:

"Talking with somebody close with Roddy, speaking of uphill battles, it will be an uphill battle, the Gophers aren't eliminated...the Gophers have a chance, but it will be an uphill battle."

Roddy's other offers: Nebraska, Northwestern, Cal-Poly, Wofford, North Dakota, Northern Iowa, etc.

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

So we can't even get a local 2 star for this class?!?

It seems pretty evident that Roddy has a far brighter future in football than in basketball. I haven't seen very many successful 6'5" PFs, especially in today's NBA. If I were him, I would be basing my college decision on the best place for me to play football rather than basketball and, if he is in fact doing that, it wouldn't be a reflection on Pitino's inability to recruit him should he choose to go elsewhere.

I think it has more to do with him liking the educational opportunities at a school such as Northwestern and the ability to get out of state. Breck isn’t exactly a feeder school for the U historically where a very very small percentage of their graduates attend the U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems pretty evident that Roddy has a far brighter future in football than in basketball. I haven't seen very many successful 6'5" PFs, especially in today's NBA. If I were him, I would be basing my college decision on the best place for me to play football rather than basketball and, if he is in fact doing that, it wouldn't be a reflection on Pitino's inability to recruit him should he choose to go elsewhere.

It'd be brighter if he'd play something other than QB. I don't think he's looking to be a professional athlete. NW is the one to beat currently.

It'd be brighter if he'd play something other than QB. I don't think he's looking to be a professional athlete. NW is the one to beat currently.

It doesn't matter what position he plays in HS. He will play DE in college and likely be pretty good at it.

I think it has more to do with him liking the educational opportunities at a school such as Northwestern and the ability to get out of state. Breck isn’t exactly a feeder school for the U historically where a very very small percentage of their graduates attend the U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He has a buddy from Breck you plays football at NW too

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter what position he plays in HS. He will play DE in college and likely be pretty good at it.

Earlier articles said he didn't want to play anything other than QB in college and that is why he only had 1AA offers for football I thought. My bad

Earlier articles said he didn't want to play anything other than QB in college and that is why he only had 1AA offers for football I thought. My bad

you are right on that. he has been pretty stubborn on that fact....at least from what I have heard/read. if he allowed himself to play DE and concentrate on that in that in high school he would have some big boys after him for the gridiron

My apologies, I didn't realize that he said that. If he is holding to that, he's really shortsighted and being stubborn to the detriment of his own best interests. His height/weight/athleticism profile screams out that he would be a terrorizing DE at the college level and potentially beyond. He's not even that good at QB.

My apologies, I didn't realize that he said that. If he is holding to that, he's really shortsighted and being stubborn to the detriment of his own best interests. His height/weight/athleticism profile screams out that he would be a terrorizing DE at the college level and potentially beyond. He's not even that good at QB.

Agreed, seems NFL level as a DE, but whatever works for him. Smart kid who will do well in whatever professional world he decides to pursue.

Go Gophers!!

Seems more suited to TE with all that height and speed.

Doogie interviewed Roddy in his latest Scoops Podcast. In the interview, Roddy insinuated that he was focusing his basketball recruitment on Colorado State, Minnesota and Northwestern. Following the interview, Doogie said "I do think Northwestern has a pretty good chance to get David Roddy."

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

Will be interesting to see what happens. Feel like if he isn’t committed after Friday he will move as Pitino will have told him he’s a backup plan. No insider info on that, just the way it feels with the roster as is

per Marcus:

Breck senior forward David Roddy is on his official visit for Pitino's team Friday through Sunday. The first three players to commit to Whalen in the 2019 class were Stillwater guard Sara Scalia, Des Moines Roosevelt (Iowa) forward Grace Cumming and Des Moines East wing Justice Ross, who are all currently on their official visits on the U campus.

Roddy, who visited Colorado State last week, has three of his former Howard Pulley AAU teammates already on the U roster in freshmen Daniel Oturu, Jarvis Omersa and Gabe Kalscheur. They’ve been trying to get him to commit.

“They don’t bug me every day,” Roddy said. “But every few days, they’ll say, ‘What’s up future teammate?’”

The powerfully built and explosive 6-foot-5, 250-pound Roddy could see himself playing with his buddies in maroon and gold, because “we had such great chemistry,” he said.

“We knew where everybody would be at the right time,” Roddy said. “It was just a really fun AAU season getting to learn from them and absorbing as much knowledge as I could; how to win games, how to lead a team. Just little things like supporting your teammates at all times and keep being positive. Playing with those players (also Duke freshman Tre Jones) led me to be the team leader I was this past summer.”

http://www.startribune.com/u-hoop-c...ith-official-visitors-this-weekend/493336251/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Given his height and build, I would think he would be a better fit at a VCU or Wichita st. A conference where the average 4 is like 6'6"-6'7".

Given his height and build, I would think he would be a better fit at a VCU or Wichita st. A conference where the average 4 is like 6'6"-6'7".

He is def more of a mid-major guy than High Major in my opinion and with Trey Jackson already committed I don't see the point of signing Roddy.

per Marcus:

Over the weekend, the 6-foot-5, 255-pound senior forward had an official visit with the Gophers men’s basketball program. Roddy’s currently considering Northwestern, Colorado State and Minnesota in hoops.

The recent Gopher visit included watching practice, talking to coaches, touring the new Athletes Village facility, attending the U football team’s victory over Miami (Ohio) and hanging out with his buddies Jarvis Omersa, Daniel Oturu and Gabe Kalscheur. They were former Howard Pulley AAU teammates.

“It was a lot of fun,” Roddy said. “We’re really close just from the AAU circuit. It’s just really cool to see those guys grow up and be in the place they’re in now, representing Minnesota in the most positive way they can. I’m excited for them and what they’ll do this season. It was a really fun spending time with them and getting to know their everyday life and what it is to be a Gopher.”

Watching those incoming freshmen gave Roddy a glimpse of what his experience would be like if he stayed home to play for the Gophers. He also heard from Richard Pitino and the coaching staff about why they wanted him and what his role could be on the team next year.

“The main thing was my versatility and my passing skills,” Roddy said. “It would really help in their offense. I’m a pretty unique player and very blessed. I can play multiple positions and hold my own. Being a facilitator and helping the team and doing all the things these days basketball players don’t like to do. Dive on the floor for loose balls, just the dirty work. I would play an important role on any team I would go to.”

Last week, the Gophers picked up a commitment from four-star Sunrise Christian Academy (Kan.) power forward Tray Jackson, but the U continued to pursue Roddy. Pitino, who has four scholarships available for the 2019 recruiting class, still made an in-home visit with Roddy last week and kept the scheduled official visit.

“That didn’t make much of a difference at all,” Roddy said about Jackson committing. “Congrats to him and the coaching staff. They got a good player from Detroit. I wish him nothing but the best. It’s a good situation for him. He’s a really athletic scorer. I played against him during the AAU season. He’s a good athlete, so Minnesota got a good one with him. I wouldn’t factor into any of my decision making. It’s just a good pickup for the Gophers.”

As for his next official visit, Roddy doesn’t plan to move up his trip to Northwestern on Oct. 13. He’s looking forward to getting another look at Chris Collins’ program and attending the Wildcats homecoming football game against Nebraska.

Gophers fans might be wondering if Roddy’s decision could come immediately after his Northwestern visit in mid-October. That’s his last scheduled official visit having already been to Colorado State and Minnesota, but Roddy is leaning toward waiting until after the football season to announce his plans.

Breck's football team is 3-0 and plays host to undefeated Minneapolis North at 7 p.m. Friday.

“I’ll finish my visits and factor in everything,” Roddy said. “But it’s not going to be exactly right after Northwestern. I want to play out my football season before I make a decision to have as much fun as I can and enjoy it. Then look at my options with what sport and what school is the best option for me.”

http://www.startribune.com/breck-tw...ecaps-gophers-hoops-official-visit/493616211/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom