All Things David Roddy Recruitment Thread - Class of 2019 (Gophers Offered)

Roddy looked BIG!!

I'm a little hung up on the 6'-6" PF as he is currently listed (Marcus keeps reporting he's 6'-5") no idea if he's going to get to 6'-7" or 6'-8" when he's done growing but it would make me feel a lot better about him.

I'm a little hung up on the 6'-6" PF as he is currently listed (Marcus keeps reporting he's 6'-5") no idea if he's going to get to 6'-7" or 6'-8" when he's done growing but it would make me feel a lot better about him.

I agree. However, I'd rather see us get Roddy vs scrambling for recruits in the Spring. Especially with several scholarships open.

If he truly is a beast, he can still play at a high D 1 level.

How tall do you think Jason Stamper was?

If he truly is a beast, he can still play at a high D 1 level.

How tall do you think Jason Stamper was?

Stamper was one of my favorites. Tuff dude and he was a well rounded athlete.. could dribble and shoot. I don't know enough about Roddy to compare.

Stamper was one of my favorites. Tuff dude and he was a well rounded athlete.. could dribble and shoot. I don't know enough about Roddy to compare.

Interesting and pretty accurate first assement on Stamp from GH:

J'son doesn't have the body of a prototypical Big 10 power forward (he's only about 6'5"), but he appears to have everything else. He's a quick, powerful, and explosive athlete, and he has very good perimeter skills for someone I had initially expected to be solely a post player. J'son handles the ball very well (definitely well enough to play the '3'), and he has a solid jump shot. It's probably most effective from mid-range, but he also knocked down a 17-footer and a 3-pointer during the couple of games he played. He's also able to use both hands in the paint.

-How is Roddy's midrange? Is he a 3/4?

Last edited:

Everyone knows Jordan Murphy is only 6'6" right?

Sure, but he's actually listed at 6'-7". He's a rare special player... Just because Roddy is about same size doesn't really tell us anything about his game does it?

Last edited:

Just as Roddy's height doesn't preclude him from being an effective "4" in the B1G.

Sure, but he's actually listed at 6'-7". He's a rare special player... Just cuz Roddy is about same size doesn't really tell us anything about his game does it?

Has anyone who has watched him have some analysts about his game? Is he only a 4? Can he play some 3?

What's his game like? I'm going to have to go check him out in November.

Last edited:

Has anyone who has watched him have some analysts about his game? Is he only a 4? Can he play some 3?

He moves better than you'd expect and can handle the ball well, but for the most part right now he's just a bully in the post. I think he could play some 3 but he's more of a 4.

Interesting and pretty accurate first assement on Stamp from GH:

J'son doesn't have the body of a prototypical Big 10 power forward (he's only about 6'5"), but he appears to have everything else. He's a quick, powerful, and explosive athlete, and he has very good perimeter skills for someone I had initially expected to be solely a post player. J'son handles the ball very well (definitely well enough to play the '3'), and he has a solid jump shot. It's probably most effective from mid-range, but he also knocked down a 17-footer and a 3-pointer during the couple of games he played. He's also able to use both hands in the paint.
I agree completely with that assessment of Stamper :D

I have only seen him play in high school games against other 2A schools in MN. he is really good. but like others have said he is a bully against that competition. I see him as an undersized 4.

I have only seen him play in high school games against other 2A schools in MN. he is really good. but like others have said he is a bully against that competition. I see him as an undersized 4.

Does he not play club basketball against elite competition?

I watched him play a lot for Pulley as a junior with Tre, Gabe, Oturu and Jarvis and always considered him a bigger 3 who is capable of playing the 4. He can handle some and knock down a timely 3 every once in a while. Thought he was really effective there and was better than Jarvis on that team.

I haven't watched since though.

Barkley a tad under 6”5

I usually don't follow potential high school recruits but I watched a little video of him and he reminds me a bit of Barkley. Barkley wasn't very highly recruited at all out of high school. If we can give a scholarship to Gas, Bakary, Fitzgerald, and Buggs I don't see why we wouldn't want to give this guy a chance. Given that he's from a prep school though Northwestern may have some appeal.

Chooses basketball as his college sport and "narrows" it down to a final 3, although I thought those were really the only 3 P5 schools who offered him.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Chooses basketball as his college sport and "narrows" it down to a final 3, although I thought those were really the only 3 P5 schools who offered him.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He had a Nebraska offer as well.

If this season goes really south (I don't think it will), Roddy & Niko Medved essentially could be a package deal. So there's kinda' a 2 in 3 chance he lands with Gophers program?

If this season goes really south (I don't think it will), Roddy & Niko Medved essentially could be a package deal. So there's kinda' a 2 in 3 chance he lands with Gophers program?

Too early to be cynical, Selection. I thought I heard the 'Cats cooled on him earlier, but maybe not. Smart, hardworking guys are good for a program.

That would make Niko's 3rd job in 3 seasons. Has that ever happened before??

That would make Niko's 3rd job in 3 seasons. Has that ever happened before??

It would be his 4th job in 4 seasons:

2016-17: Furman
2017-18: Drake
2018-19: Colorado State
2019-20: Minnesota

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom