Post 2010 Gopher Football rise

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Just thought I'd start a thread of what has lead to, or can lead to, the rise of Gopher Football since 2010.

The hiring of Jerry Kill
The hiring of Eric Kaler
The building of TCF Bank Stadium (yes, I know if was prior to 2010)
The building of beautiful brand new athletic facilities
The hiring of Mark Coyle
The hiring of P.J. Fleck

but can and will the people of Minnesota ever support Gopher Football enough to make it what most Gopherholers want it to be? I know and understand the history, I'm in my 40's, but I haven't seen a time that things have looked this good for Gopher Football in my lifetime.

I'm excited about PJ and all but .... I think 2014 actually looked the most promising in very recent history.

Then came 2015 :(

Until I see more wins and such I don't quite buy into the really promising thing. I'm hopeful, but being ranked in the 70s is not usually really promising territory ;)

Am I reading this correctly the post 2010 rise (RISE????) of Gopher football?

Post 2010: 2-6, 2-6, 4-4. 5-3, 2-6, 5-4, 2-7
Division finishes (not conference, DIVISION): 6th, tied 5th, 4th, tied 2nd, tied 4th, tied 4th, 6th
Record against Wisconsin: 0-7
Record against Iowa: 2-5

Will the people of Minnesota ever support Gopher football enough to make it what Gopherholers want to be? Who knows, but it's not at even a baseline level of respectability, much less at a place where someone can say "What's wrong with Minnesota, why don't people go to the games?". I have some hope for PJ Fleck, but the program has looked just as bad the last 7 years as it's looked for the last quarter century. The Gophers got a huge gift when the conference was split geographically and they got to avoid playing Michigan and Ohio State as frequently and they still have failed to take advantage.

I think this is one where people split depending on age. I'm 62 (63 in a few weeks) and I have watched Gopher football since the mid 1960's. Yes, I remember the last year they tied for a conference title.

here are the hard, cold facts: going back to 1940 (78 years), the Gopher program has had 8 wins or more in back-to-back seasons 4 times. '40-'41; '60-'61; '02-'03; and '13-'14. The stretch of 2013-2016, with two 8-win seasons and a 9-win season in a 4-year span, is one of the more successful stretches of Gopher football in years.

No, they didn't win a conference title. No, they weren't contending for national honors. But, they were competitive. they had at least a chance to win in most games. and then (presumably) younger fans come along and say "that isn't good enough." And I say be realistic.

In the modern era of college football - since desegregation and the rise of the southern teams - the Gophers have had 1 10-win season and 1 9-win season. So when I, as an older fan, see people dismiss a 9-win season, I say be realistic.

It's not about whether the People of MN support the team. People will support a winning team. The Gopher athletic department, administration, coaches and players just haven't provided many winning teams for the people to support.

You can say I'm "settling for mediocrity." I say mediocrity is better than ineptitude. Sometimes you have to appreciate what you have, instead of constantly wishing for what you don't have.

I think this is one where people split depending on age. I'm 62 (63 in a few weeks) and I have watched Gopher football since the mid 1960's. Yes, I remember the last year they tied for a conference title.

here are the hard, cold facts: going back to 1940 (78 years), the Gopher program has had 8 wins or more in back-to-back seasons 4 times. '40-'41; '60-'61; '02-'03; and '13-'14. The stretch of 2013-2016, with two 8-win seasons and a 9-win season in a 4-year span, is one of the more successful stretches of Gopher football in years.

No, they didn't win a conference title. No, they weren't contending for national honors. But, they were competitive. they had at least a chance to win in most games. and then (presumably) younger fans come along and say "that isn't good enough." And I say be realistic.

In the modern era of college football - since desegregation and the rise of the southern teams - the Gophers have had 1 10-win season and 1 9-win season. So when I, as an older fan, see people dismiss a 9-win season, I say be realistic.

It's not about whether the People of MN support the team. People will support a winning team. The Gopher athletic department, administration, coaches and players just haven't provided many winning teams for the people to support.

You can say I'm "settling for mediocrity." I say mediocrity is better than ineptitude. Sometimes you have to appreciate what you have, instead of constantly wishing for what you don't have.

You describe it as though you have lived it. Very honestly. Very humbly and you realize that there is NO shame or hardship in being honest about the way it has been. You pretty much describe exactly what I have seen over the decades. I was 13 when the GOPHER did win a NC. I was 20 the last time the GOPHER tied for the Big Ten Championship. I'm 71 now.

Thank you for proving to me that there is a person who can honestly evaluate the situation and make me believe that your experience with GOPHER FOOTBALL has been one of respect, admiration, and is one of life's repeated experiences that one never grows tired of. It is not...nor does it need to be all success...there have been many disappointments. Still: GOPHER FOOTBALL SEASON has been a constant part of the life of an aging Minnesota kid who grew up as a GOPHER FOOTBALL FAN. Your impressions are much the same as my impressions how GOPHER FOOTBALL has been in the latter part of the 50's...the 60's...70's...right up to the present time.

And, in my mind: life has been a bit more enjoyable and the fall of the year has always been my favorite time of the year. Good for you SON...and thank you for reminding me tonight just how thankful I am to have had the opportunity to be around for so many Golden Gopher Football Seasons. It is a good, solid feeling. Not too much fantasy. Many memories that have always kept me grounded with the realization that "...there is always next season..." or "...maybe next year..." I just can NOT imagine being a fan of any team other than the GOPHER football team though. I have a hunch you may feel pretty much the same way. Beat the stinking badger, GOPHER!

Thank SON and Mr Walrus. I too enjoy the seasons that range from slightly above average to not very good. Each season has some fun moments and hopefully good times with your families.

I really wish the team can win the conference sometime soon to reward all the fans who have hung in there for all these years.

but can and will the people of Minnesota ever support Gopher Football enough to make it what most Gopherholers want it to be? I know and understand the history, I'm in my 40's, but I haven't seen a time that things have looked this good for Gopher Football in my lifetime.

IF they win, people will absolutely come. Simple as that, in my mind.

There is just no reason that Minnesota can't do what Wisconsin and/or Washington have done. No reason. It takes the right president and board, athletic director, and most importantly head coach. From some of the very excellent posts in the other thread (the decline since the 60's), it is apparent that the support for the football program from the admin end was very lacking, even hostile towards football in the past decades. I really think that ship has been fully turned about, and the new prez will continue with that support. Coyle I think is fine ... doesn't really need to do much now other than offer support, as he has hired his coach and got the facilities built. The rest is now on Fleck.

Last edited:

Just thought I'd start a thread of what has lead to, or can lead to, the rise of Gopher Football since 2010.

The hiring of Jerry Kill
The hiring of Eric Kaler
The building of TCF Bank Stadium (yes, I know if was prior to 2010)
The building of beautiful brand new athletic facilities
The hiring of Mark Coyle
The hiring of P.J. Fleck

Nobody wants to give him credit but Norwood Teague played big part in the fundraising for the athletes village, he was a scumbag, but he got the right people involved and created alot of momentum with diners.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I hate to say it but some ***got badger fan is laughing at the title of this thread. We were slight favourites heading into that 2009 game at the Bank, programs couldn't be anymore different ten years later

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nobody wants to give him credit but Norwood Teague played big part in the fundraising for the athletes village, he was a scumbag, but he got the right people involved and created alot of momentum with diners.

I thought that was Claeys.

Yeah, I know, cheap shot.

IF they win, people will absolutely come. Simple as that, in my mind.

There is just no reason that Minnesota can't do what Wisconsin and/or Washington have done. No reason. It takes the right president and board, athletic director, and most importantly head coach. From some of the very excellent posts in the other thread (the decline since the 60's), it is apparent that the support for the football program from the admin end was very lacking, even hostile towards football in the past decades. I really think that ship has been fully turned about, and the new prez will continue with that support. Coyle I think is fine ... doesn't really need to do much now other than offer support, as he has hired his coach and got the facilities built. The rest is now on Fleck.

The Gophers are in the best scenario in a long time. Let's hope that PJ Fleck before his career ends at MN that he brings home a title or two. First, I hope he stays for the long haul. He's already won the hearts and minds of folks with what he is doing with the players that go beyond after they are done playing football. More importantly, if he beats Wisconsin I am eternally grateful.

I was 13 when the GOPHER did win a NC.

Serious question: Did you believe at the time, when you were 13, that the Gophers won a true national championship, as opposed to being #1 in the final poll and being a mythical national champion? I am 12 years your junior, but I have talked to a couple of Gopher players from that era who told me that they never felt at the time that they won a national championship, and that the '61 season (8-2 record), with the win against (not-great) UCLA in the Rose Bowl, was better than the '60 season (8-2), with a loss in the Rose Bowl against Washington. The '60 team took the field twice as the #1 team, and lost both games. Did people, at the time, really think of the Gophers as the national champion? After the final poll came out on November 28, 1960, when the Gophers received 17.5 out of 48 first place votes, did people celebrate the national championship? Was there a national championship parade or celebration between Nov. 29 and when the Gophers left for the Rose Bowl? Do the articles in the Minneapolis Tribune on Jan. 3, 1961 record that Washington beat the "National Champion" Gophers in an exhibition football game? I have always wondered what people actually thought after the final poll and before the game on Jan. 2, 1961, and did the bowl-game articles in the nation's newspapers on Jan. 3, 1961 refer to Minnesota as the national champion?

I believe we are on the right path with facilities, admin and coaching. I did an analysis by decade from the 70's and forward. Overall best decade is 00s (Mason), Conference best decade is 70s (Stoll).
Decade Overall Winning % and B1G Winning %
70s: 46.3% - 44.9%
80s: 41.8% - 33.7%
90s: 35.7% - 27.5%
00s: 50% - 37.5%
10s: 47.5% - 36.4%

I believe we are on the right path with facilities, admin and coaching. I did an analysis by decade from the 70's and forward. Overall best decade is 00s (Mason), Conference best decade is 70s (Stoll).
Decade Overall Winning % and B1G Winning %
70s: 46.3% - 44.9%
80s: 41.8% - 33.7%
90s: 35.7% - 27.5%
00s: 50% - 37.5%
10s: 47.5% - 36.4%

The rise probably coincides with players like Tom Compton and CJ Ham making it in the NFL.... o wait our coaches missed on them. A decade of every border state pickin our pocket.

Top Bottom