WF asst coach charged with killing NY tourist

Really bad things can happen when you're drunk

My thoughts:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If you're so inclined, follow me on Twitter @Fieldof68Freak

This is starting to look like a stand your ground case though I admit to not knowing the laws about this in NY. I would feel like Szabo was a threat if I was in this situation.

This is starting to look like a stand your ground case though I admit to not knowing the laws about this in NY. I would feel like Szabo was a threat if I was in this situation.

Not according to this report: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wake-f...at-killed-new-york-city-tourist-sandor-szabo/

A rising college basketball coaching star was accused of throwing a punch that killed a New York City tourist who had apparently mistaken the coach for an Uber driver. Wake Forest University assistant coach Jamill Jones pleaded not guilty Thursday to an assault charge.

Jones attacked digital marketing guru Sandor Szabo around 1:15 a.m. last Sunday in Queens, police said. Szabo fell and smashed his head on the sidewalk.

Szabo, visiting from Boca Raton, Florida, banged on the window of Jones' SUV while looking for his ride after his stepsister's wedding, police said. The coach got out, followed Szabo to the sidewalk, clocked him and sped off, police said.

Szabo never regained consciousness and was taken off life support Tuesday. Josh Gillon, the CEO of the company where Szabo worked, told WABC-TV Szabo's co-workers were shocked by his death.

Agree. I think it is an inherent American right to be able to punch somebody in the face, and hard! for knocking on one's car window. Write this into statutes asap.

Agree. I think it is an inherent American right to be able to punch somebody in the face, and hard! for knocking on one's car window. Write this into statutes asap.
Yeah Iam sure he politely knocked lol, he was drunk. Guy deserved to get knocked out. As Drago would say if he dies, he dies.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yeah Iam sure he politely knocked lol, he was drunk. Guy deserved to get knocked out. As Drago would say if he dies, he dies.

Sure he did. Just like Daquein's girlfriend deserved to get choked out. They both pissed someone off...can't let that go without a sound beating

Sure he did. Just like Daquein's girlfriend deserved to get choked out. They both pissed someone off...can't let that go without a sound beating
Completely different you ****in jack ass. God damn the **** is the matter with you. MC Neil was the aggressor the dead guy started next time you come at me come correct

Completely different you ****in jack ass. God damn the **** is the matter with you. MC Neil was the aggressor the dead guy started next time you come at me come correct

I wouldn't say he started anything on purpose. He banged on the window trying to find the correct car. Not a smart thing to do but hardly deserves what Jones did to him, even if he didn't die.

How drunk are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easily angered are we:confused:

My thoughts:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If you're so inclined, follow me on Twitter @Fieldof68Freak

Are you nuts? There are many ways to handle this type of situation, when your life is not in danger. No way can you justify killing someone. If you choose to hit someone that had, you have to deal with the consequences of the situation. Stand your ground laws are ridiculous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same as if he hit on your girlfriend and your name was Nelson...

How does stand your ground even apply here if Jones followed the guy to the sidewalk?

Some reports say that Szabo punched another resident right before the confrontation with Jones. Not saying Jones should have hit him, but unless McNeil's girlfriend was running around drunkenly punching people, it is an incorrect analogy.

huh?

Some reports say that Szabo punched another resident right before the confrontation with Jones. Not saying Jones should have hit him, but unless McNeil's girlfriend was running around drunkenly punching people, it is an incorrect analogy.

The situation of someone falling backwards during a confrontation, hitting the head and dying is a fairly common tragedy.

I have not had too many incidents in my life, buy I have been involved in a few idiotic situations, although not for 15 years or so. I would be very reluctant to get involved in anything that was not an extreme case of self preservation now, with the increased awareness of the potential for some serious liability, both criminal and civil.

In these cases there is almost always drinking or drugs involved and most have no intent to kill anyone. The courts will not have much sympathy.

We'll see what charges get brought. Going by what we know so far, this isn't a "stand-your-ground" case. He got of his car versus him getting dragged out the car. I'm predicting the prosecution will press for voluntary manslaughter, max of 25 years and min of 5; and it'll be reduced to involuntary on a plea agreement with a 1-year sentence.

From what I've read (which is admittedly very little), it does not seem that any charges should be brought at all.

I've read:
(1) the victim was drunk;
(2) the victim was banging on cars in the middle of the night;
(3) the victim was first confronted by a third party;
(4) the victim punched the third party, sending him to the ground;
(5) Jones then confronted the victim and punched him, sending the victim to the ground and killing him.

This strikes me as defense of others. Which is something Jones had the absolute right to do, although he had no such obligation. In other words, this was a heroic but tragic act. This strikes me as nothing more than a tragedy. In an ideal world, the victim wakes up with a sore jaw and thinks "damn, I shouldn't have been that drunk and obnoxious." And the event ends there. In this case, the victim did not get the opportunity to wake up. That's tragic. But it's not criminal.

From what I've read (which is admittedly very little), it does not seem that any charges should be brought at all.

I've read:
(1) the victim was drunk;
(2) the victim was banging on cars in the middle of the night;
(3) the victim was first confronted by a third party;
(4) the victim punched the third party, sending him to the ground;
(5) Jones then confronted the victim and punched him, sending the victim to the ground and killing him.

This strikes me as defense of others. Which is something Jones had the absolute right to do, although he had no such obligation. In other words, this was a heroic but tragic act. This strikes me as nothing more than a tragedy. In an ideal world, the victim wakes up with a sore jaw and thinks "damn, I shouldn't have been that drunk and obnoxious." And the event ends there. In this case, the victim did not get the opportunity to wake up. That's tragic. But it's not criminal.

This reminds me of the Kolstad-Nelson altercation in Mankato and the one involving a confrontation at a Lake Mille Lacs resort that resulted in the death of a Prior Lake man - http://www.startribune.com/assault-at-lake-mille-lacs-resort-leaves-twin-cities-man-dead/379677041/

Alcohol-related senseless acts. I am surprised no one at the place where the deceased man was at did not stop him from leaving if he is that inebriated. Don't know the circumstances. It is sad for everyone touched by this.

Last edited:

The police said he followed him back to the sidewalk, then punched him. Why not just let the guy walk away? Why follow him?

Yes I know his intention was to just jack the guy in the face, and nothing else. But he ended up killing him.

I just can’t see a jury getting past him following him back to the sidewalk. He may think that is completely unfair, to have to do prison time and be a felon, but is it worth risking a jury and 25 years??

The police said he followed him back to the sidewalk, then punched him. Why not just let the guy walk away? Why follow him?

Yes I know his intention was to just jack the guy in the face, and nothing else. But he ended up killing him.

I just can’t see a jury getting past him following him back to the sidewalk. He may think that is completely unfair, to have to do prison time and be a felon, but is it worth risking a jury and 25 years??

Unfortunate things happen that are not always intended, but you are responsible for your actions. Drunken drivers intentions are just to get home, but if they kill someone they are responsible for that death. The guy would not have died if Jones had not punched him. Following him back to the sidewalk is not protection, it is retribution.

He crossed the line for something he could have easily drive away from. Now, he risks prison time.

Last edited:

I wonder if Jones saw Szabo punch the other person and that may have added to Jones' anger and led to the punch?

I wonder if Jones saw Szabo punch the other person and that may have added to Jones' anger and led to the punch?

I'm pretty sure that will be discussed in court, at some length by Jones' attorneys, before he goes to prison.

He crossed the line for something he could have easily drive away from. Now, it risks prison time.

Yep. There was no self defense or protecting property as he could have easily left the area. Dude should be seeing jail time imo.

I hope the police and DA reach out to everyone on this thread since it sounds like many of you were there.

I hope the police and DA reach out to everyone on this thread since it sounds like many of you were there.

Not all of us spend all of our time in our mom’s basement.

Top Bottom