Video Update on New Track and Field Facility

Quick question, “shouldn’t” the press box & covered seating be positioned down by the finish line? They seem to be at the opposite end.

Looks like a great facility!

It looks pretty tight. Where will discus, javelin, and hammer take place?

Quick question, “shouldn’t” the press box & covered seating be positioned down by the finish line? They seem to be at the opposite end.

Looks like a great facility!

They're centered w/rtp to the field.

It looks pretty tight. Where will discus, javelin, and hammer take place?

To my knowledge, at high-level track specific facilities, the "field" events all take place literally in the in-field of the track. They try to control the direction of the flying implements by having a large cage that surrounds the "launching" pad circle in all directions except a narrow slice that is open to the field. This hopefully prevents things like discs, hammers, etc. from flying off onto the track, into the stands, etc. Javelin on the other hand doesn't have that, but because of the way it flies and how it's thrown (the throwers run down a long runway towards the middle of the in-field), it isn't necessary. And shotput doesn't need it either, because it just doesn't fly that far.

They're centered w/rtp to the field.

You are correct, thanks. I was confused because there's an "extra" section of seating, that isn't covered, off to the side ... but appears this is due to the geometrical constraints of the space they had to work with.

http://www.startribune.com/after-ma...irst-class-track-and-field-stadium/493529791/

Grand opening:

Instead of celebrating their new, 2,400-seat track and field stadium Monday with a ceremonial first lap, the Gophers could have staged a full marathon.

That would have symbolized the long, grueling path the University of Minnesota took to building the glistening $13 million facility.

After demolishing their old track to build the Athletes Village, after a gender-equity complaint and subsequent investigation, and after three years spent shuttling to practices at Hamline and St. Thomas, the Gophers finally have a new on-campus home.

“My first impression was overwhelmed, emotional and humble,” junior All-American Rachel Schow said. “This facility is first class.”

“The best part about it is it’s here on this campus,” Wilson said. “They could have easily — around the country, you could end up cutting a track program or saying, ‘We’re just not going to mess with it.’ ”

The new track has nine lanes and features fully enclosed, heated warm-up and cool down areas beneath the grandstand.

“I think it puts us up in the top one or two in the conference in terms of facilities,” said Matt Bingle, who oversees the men’s and women’s teams as newly appointed director of Gophers track and field/cross-country.

Top Bottom