GopherSports: Offensive Line Taking Advantage of Off-Field Opportunities

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports

Redshirt senior guard and center Jared Weyler is a two-time academic All-Big Ten honoree and is a National Scholar-Athlete nominee for the 2018 season. He has played in 16 career games with 14 starts. He has battled injuries throughout his career but is a two-time Rimington Trophy Watch List nominee. He has already graduated with a double major in Accounting and Entrepreneurial Management and a minor in Leadership. He is pursuing his Master's of Accountancy during his final season at Minnesota and is also going for his Certificate of Public Accounting (CPA).

GS: Can you tell us about the process of going for your CPA?

JW: I'm starting to work on that this summer and will hopefully finish it this spring. There is a series of four tests. It's kind of a standard in public accounting. Each test is four hours. I'm in a review course right now so it's a lot of time.

GS: What's it mean that you will be leaving the University of Minnesota with a football career having graduated with two majors and will also hopefully have your CPA?

JW: It's huge, just being able to get a degree like that from the School of Carlson. The athletic department has been super supportive. They paid for my whole review course for the CPA which I'm super thankful for because that would have been money out of my pocket. It's been amazing. All the opportunities that are here even outside of football. It's like the say, 'come for four and stay for forty.'

Redshirt junior guard Quinn Oseland has seen action in 11 games and has made two career starts. He is a business and marketing education major and just finished an internship with the Herb Brooks Foundation.

Gopher Sports: Can you tell us about your summer internship?

Quinn Oseland: I interned with the Herb Brooks Foundation. It's a social media internship for the most part. I will also go in and help them set up their Rink Rats program. It gives kids an opportunity to learn how to skate or rollerblade because it's a hockey based foundation. Primarily I work with their social media making posts and fun things for their Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. My main focus is to make people more aware of the Herb Brooks Foundation.

GS: How did you get lined up with the Herb Brooks Foundation?

QO: It was actually from Anissa Lightner. She helped me make the connection and set me up with the internship. The University of Minnesota prepares you well. It's a special university in a great area.

GS: You have the hockey hair but were you a hockey guy before or was that part random?

QO: Random. Ever since coming up here I have picked up on hockey, but before this I wasn't a big hockey guy or anything. I knew about Herb Brooks just from watching the movie, "Miracle." It is cool to be part of that and realize the people and the history that I am working for.

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/...ing-advantage-of-off-field-opportunities.aspx

Go Gophers!!

This is great stuff. Proud to be a fan of the university and these student-athletes.

This type of information/reading material is made for new recruits. I wonder if ND, Madison,etc., can make these same statements?

Good for them.

That title makes me nervous, sounds like the start of an NCAA investigation.

the way things are going, the Gophers may have the best offensive line in town - (as compared to the Vikings. I hope they have lots of insurance money on Cousins....)

Top Bottom