Vikings Name Nick Rallis Defensive Quality Control Coach

Iceland12

Reaction score
Good job Nick!

Eagan, Minn. (August 7, 2018) – The Minnesota Vikings have named Nick Rallis the team’s Defensive Quality Control Coach.

Rallis (RAWL-iss), who is entering his first NFL season after serving as a graduate assistant for Wake Forest in 2017, joins the Vikings where he will assist the coaching staff with preparation and have a hands-on role with the defense.

The former Edina High School standout played LB at the University of Minnesota from 2012-2016. During the 2016-17 school year, Rallis was named Academic All-Big Ten and selected as a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar. Rallis studied business and marketing at Minnesota and is working on his master’s degree in sport and exercise science.

Rallis’ older brother, Mike, also played LB for the Gophers from 2008-2012, where he was teammates with Vikings CB Marcus Sherels.

Rallis’ Background:

Player
2012-16.............. University of Minnesota // LB

Coach
2017................... Wake Forest // Graduate Assistant
2018................... Minnesota Vikings // Defensive Quality Control

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-name-nick-rallis-defensive-quality-control-coach?sf195102059=1

RAWL-iss?

Oops. Guess I've always mispronounced it.

Great to see!

I know Nick’s dream has always been to be an NFL coach and this is a great step! Nobody lives and breathes FB more than him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that was a quick climb to the NFL ranks. Great job. Will be fun to see where this coaching career has him in ten or so more years.

Cool stuff. I really liked both Mike and Nick during their playing days.

What does a quality control coach do?

If someone scores a touchdown on our defense do they mark "that wasn't good" on a clipboard?

What does a quality control coach do?

If someone scores a touchdown on our defense do they mark "that wasn't good" on a clipboard?

I'm sure its a little more complex than that, but if you were trying to explain football to someone from a foreign country, I guess you could say it like that.

I'm sure its a little more complex than that, but if you were trying to explain football to someone from a foreign country, I guess you could say it like that.

Nope.

Contemporary coaches are always searching for an edge over their opponents. Now that the Computer Age is upon us, the analyzing has become more technical. Many of those coaches have assistants called the "Quality Control Coach." However, the QCC doesn't really do much coaching at all. They spend all day multitasking, breaking down film up to five weeks in advance and analyzing data. They work all hours, in hotel lobbies, on airplanes and at their team's headquarters producing reports for their Head Coach. They do get to do some coaching though. The QC coaches often run the "Scout" team in practices. From their extensive film work and breaking down plays, the QCC can be a great help preparing their team because they know the tendencies of their opponents. They make sure the Scout teams give the starters an accurate look at what they'll face on Sunday in practice during game weeks...

Tony Sparano added:

"That job was the most valuable experience I had. That was my first piece of work in this league. Quality control rounded me, made me a better coach."

The position as we know it in modern day football was created by Mike Holmgren in 1990 when he was the Offensive Coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers. Mike needed someone to transcribe the Niners Playbook and copy it to a computer. That someone was Jon Gruden. The job also included analyzing opponents, breaking down statistics, tracking and charting plays during games and fetching coffee. Gruden earned a salary of $500 a month, turned 18 hour days and often spent his nights on a cot in the office drawing up plays on his computer. Burning the midnight oil allowed him to pick up the necessary seasoning for his jobs as Head Coach with Oakland and Tampa Bay.

Gruden:

"I was one of the first guys in the 49ers organization to put the game plan on a computer and store the information so that it was accessible next week, next year and later on down the road for future games. Over the years, all of my computer files became outdated because the software improved. We had to hire a couple of guys – we called them the ‘sweatshop’ – to go in there and really do nothing but re-draw all of the plays and re-type all of the information.

That’s not a lot of fun, but when you’re doing that you learn the offense. You learn what ‘Zoom’ is and what ‘Slot’ is, and what the difference is. You learn the different protections and blocking schemes and calls that are made."

The list of NFL coaches that have completed an "Apprenticeship" as the QC Coach include Todd Haley, Eric Mangini, Steve Spagnuolo, Brad Childress, Tony Sparano and Raheem Morris. Former Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan's son Kyle did a QCC stint under Jon Gruden with Tampa Bay in 2004 and is now the Offensive Coordinator for the Houston Texans. Don't be surprised if Kyle isn't a Head Coach sometime in the near future. Other NFL sons that are currently employed as QC Coaches are Tony Sparano, Jr., Kevin Gilbride, Jr., Sam Mills III, Bobby April, Jr., Chad Grimm and Ryan Slowik. The Offensive Quality Control Coach for the Denver Broncos is Brian Callahan, son of former head coach Bill Callahan. On Defense, that distinction belongs to Jay Rodgers. Hopefully, the next step up for these QC coaches will be as a position coach

https://www.milehighreport.com/2011...ontrol-coach-denver-broncos-football-scouting

Last edited:

Nope.

Contemporary coaches are always searching for an edge over their opponents. Now that the Computer Age is upon us, the analyzing has become more technical. Many of those coaches have assistants called the "Quality Control Coach." However, the QCC doesn't really do much coaching at all. They spend all day multitasking, breaking down film up to five weeks in advance and analyzing data. They work all hours, in hotel lobbies, on airplanes and at their team's headquarters producing reports for their Head Coach. They do get to do some coaching though. The QC coaches often run the "Scout" team in practices. From their extensive film work and breaking down plays, the QCC can be a great help preparing their team because they know the tendencies of their opponents. They make sure the Scout teams give the starters an accurate look at what they'll face on Sunday in practice during game weeks...

Tony Sparano added:

"That job was the most valuable experience I had. That was my first piece of work in this league. Quality control rounded me, made me a better coach."
The position as we know it in modern day football was created by Mike Holmgren in 1990 when he was the Offensive Coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers. Mike needed someone to transcribe the Niners Playbook and copy it to a computer. That someone was Jon Gruden. The job also included analyzing opponents, breaking down statistics, tracking and charting plays during games and fetching coffee. Gruden earned a salary of $500 a month, turned 18 hour days and often spent his nights on a cot in the office drawing up plays on his computer. Burning the midnight oil allowed him to pick up the necessary seasoning for his jobs as Head Coach with Oakland and Tampa Bay.

Gruden:

"I was one of the first guys in the 49ers organization to put the game plan on a computer and store the information so that it was accessible next week, next year and later on down the road for future games. Over the years, all of my computer files became outdated because the software improved. We had to hire a couple of guys – we called them the ‘sweatshop’ – to go in there and really do nothing but re-draw all of the plays and re-type all of the information.

That’s not a lot of fun, but when you’re doing that you learn the offense. You learn what ‘Zoom’ is and what ‘Slot’ is, and what the difference is. You learn the different protections and blocking schemes and calls that are made."

The list of NFL coaches that have completed an "Apprenticeship" as the QC Coach include Todd Haley, Eric Mangini, Steve Spagnuolo, Brad Childress, Tony Sparano and Raheem Morris. Former Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan's son Kyle did a QCC stint under Jon Gruden with Tampa Bay in 2004 and is now the Offensive Coordinator for the Houston Texans. Don't be surprised if Kyle isn't a Head Coach sometime in the near future. Other NFL sons that are currently employed as QC Coaches are Tony Sparano, Jr., Kevin Gilbride, Jr., Sam Mills III, Bobby April, Jr., Chad Grimm and Ryan Slowik. The Offensive Quality Control Coach for the Denver Broncos is Brian Callahan, son of former head coach Bill Callahan. On Defense, that distinction belongs to Jay Rodgers. Hopefully, the next step up for these QC coaches will be as a position coach

https://www.milehighreport.com/2011...ontrol-coach-denver-broncos-football-scouting

Ah so it's basically a data entry job.

Like any entry level job on a small staff working for a relatively small company, there's a lot of hats worn in the job. I can imagine no better place for a guy in his early 20s to grow in his career as a football coach.

Rallis was awesome in the WA St. bowl game. I believe he had the big sack on Falk when they were driving to score, leaving him dejected with the classic sod hanging off his faceguard. IIRC he was also a victim of one of the worst targeting calls I’ve ever seen.

Top Bottom