Per Marcus - Former Gophers center Matz Stockman is returning to team

I'm not sure why you and others have been so overly dramatic about this entire Matz situation. Not a big deal. Glad he's back.

I agree. Much crap being posted to extend this out to 10 pages. Slow news day I guess.

When will we hear about the Carr decision?

Weird situation all the way around, but at the end of the day, I'm happy he's back, they can use the front court depth.

Welcome back Matz!

I think this is great news and hope everyone sees it for what it is: a hiccup in a young person's life. I am very happy he is back.

Ah...yes...to me that is the only obvious reaction. I'm a little late to the party on this news, but I don't understand the silly (and protracted) arguments about "who's fault was it?" All's well that ends well.

It's bad for Pitino in multiple levels.

1). Matz isn't good, even if he is 7 ft tall. Subtraction by re-addition.

2). This means he couldn't get a decent recruit to come here. Not sure how you could take it any other way. Bad sign related to perception of the program by recruits, IMO.

How some people refuse to find fault in anything Pitino does isn't head-scratching. Does anyone actually pay attention to actual results? In what world has this guy earned any benefit of the doubt?

Last edited:

2). This means he couldn't get a decent recruit to come here. Not sure how you could take it any other way. Bad sign related to perception of the program by recruits, IMO.

How some people refuse to find fault in anything Pitino does isn't head-scratching. Does anyone actually pay attention to actual results? In what world has this guy earned any benefit of the doubt?

I thought the opposite, head-scratching that he let him go with the other options recovering from injury and unproven at this point.

First of all, few of us really know how well Matz can contribute here. He could be a total bust or he could be a fairly solid rotation player. At least he's a roster player for a position of need.

Being pleased about Matz's return does not imply that one is a Pitino cheerleader. I give little credit to Pitino for this newest development.

Heck - if Stockman just gives them 5 pts, 4 rebounds, 1 block, and can just play competent defense for 10-15 minutes a game, that will make a difference on the team. Less need to play Curry heavy minutes at C; allows Oturu to get his feet wet without having to play major minutes right off the bat; and no need to go small and put Murphy in the middle. It changes the whole rotation at C and PF. That, of course, assumes that Stockman is capable of doing that.

+1

During Pitino's interview with Barreiro on KFAN, he mentioned that Matz was out of shape. According to Pitino, Matz was really grinding hard in the classroom trying to graduate and wasn't doing much/any training and has lost weight. He also stated that he was happy they had a scholarship available for Matz because he was a good kid and might have been left without a spot once grad transfer didn't happen. I didn't get the vibe that Pitino expects him to contribute much on the court.

During Pitino's interview with Barreiro on KFAN, he mentioned that Matz was out of shape. According to Pitino, Matz was really grinding hard in the classroom trying to graduate and wasn't doing much/any training and has lost weight. He also stated that he was happy they had a scholarship available for Matz because he was a good kid and might have been left without a spot once grad transfer didn't happen. I didn't get the vibe that Pitino expects him to contribute much on the court.

Goes along with my thoughts that if he plays...something really bad happened.

Top Bottom