Per Marcus - Former Gophers center Matz Stockman is returning to team

Stockman has some academic issues getting into Cal. That’s why he’s back. Sounds like he decided to leave

Ah. It wouldn't be Minnesota if there wasn't something goofy happening every couple of months.

When the news was that Matz was leaving, this board had a pretty spirited debate between people who said the Gophers needed the height and depth at the Center position, and the people who said "he can't play. good riddance."

At least now, we'll get to (hopefully) settle that argument. It will be interesting to see how much Matz plays and what kind of numbers he puts up.

Ya man, Coyle is definitely not happy with Pitino using his last scholarship on a guy that could help the team!!!

It remains to be seen if he can help the team-I'm not expecting anything but end of game time when it comes to big ten play.

I think this will be final nail in the coffin-what a mess. Struck out with everyone and now taking someone who didn't want to be here back?
Clearly he did or he would still be at Cal.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Why is everyone mad? Who else could we have gotten this late that would help next year? Matz may not be a stud but this is actually big cause now if a post goes down we won’t be in terrible shape ...unless it’s murphy that would hurt. Overall though this made most sense cause we don’t want 3 sit out guys in a year

Welcome back Matz!

I think this is great news and hope everyone sees it for what it is: a hiccup in a young person's life. I am very happy he is back.

Why is everyone mad? Who else could we have gotten this late that would help next year? Matz may not be a stud but this is actually big cause now if a post goes down we won’t be in terrible shape ...unless it’s murphy that would hurt. Overall though this made most sense cause we don’t want 3 sit out guys in a year

We get Carr eligible and we have a full , deep team. Lots of competition for playing time which is always good.

How in the world could you be upset about this? We got our shot with Geno didn’t win and got back the guy we gave up for that shot and now have depth in the frontcort. If you have a problem with this you are just looking for reasons to be upset.

How in the world could you be upset about this? We got our shot with Geno didn’t win and got back the guy we gave up for that shot and now have depth in the frontcort. If you have a problem with this you are just looking for reasons to be upset.

+1. This is all good. Very glad to have him back. No idea how good he will be, but we clearly need the depth. Funny to read all the panic posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I've said in the past, Pitino cant win! He opens up spot for Crandall to try and make team better, but when we didnt get him, people were upset about Pitino. Now he fills a much needed spot for depth and it still doesn't satisfy people.

I think this will be final nail in the coffin-what a mess. Struck out with everyone and now taking someone who didn't want to be here back?
Unless we go deep in the NCAA tournament, you should be right.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Despite my snarky comments in the 2018 recruiting thread, Stockman's return is mostly a positive for the Gophers. He never left campus and now gives Pitino more post depth. If nothing else, you give Murphy, Curry, Omersa and Oturu another body to compete with in practice, and that matters. He gets an opportunity to show what he can do after Pitino probably showed him what he was up against for playing time.

He has his spot back, now it's up to him to make the most of it.

We have too many posters that talk like they know the facts when they are just speculating.

It makes it difficult to believe those who do know the facts but cannot reveal they know.

Facts vs Speculators = Confusion

Confusion vs Reality = Matz Return reason unknown.

I want to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have too many posters that talk like they know the facts when they are just speculating.

It makes it difficult to believe those who do know the facts but cannot reveal they know.

Facts vs Speculators = Confusion

Confusion vs Reality = Matz Return reason unknown.

I want to know!

He either wasn’t admitted to Cal or didn’t finish necessary classes to be grad transfer. Nothing with playing time

Some of you guys are comical.

Nothing is a mess....not a nail In his coffin... not the end of Pitino.

It's all good.

Welcome Back Matz!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Are you dying, why do you need a coffin....[emoji848]. You can’t help it if a guys misleads you, scolly was going to be left open, why not take Matz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I asked in the Sam thread, "... does Pitino have more than his share of "unusual" types of recruits?"

My question is now answered.

Again, I'll share what I posted in another thread about what I heard from a source close to the program.

When Geno decided to transfer, he told Pitino he wanted to be a gopher. Pitino told him we don't have room. Geno told him if you make room, i'll commit. Pitino told him he'll have to do some work but was able to make room. Geno was all set to commit but then his dad started to get in his ear and strongly pushed him to Gonzaga and away from the gophers saying you'd be crazy to play for the U when you can play on a top 5 team. Geno then commits to Gonzaga. The way they described it to me, it sounded as if his dad didn't even let him commit to the gophers and made him go to GU but I think he meant strongly influenced.

Welcome back Matz! Glad you are still here. He could well be more important to the team than Candall. I'll take 10 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocks per game any season.

Welcome back Matz! Glad you are still here. He could well be more important to the team than Candall. I'll take 10 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocks per game any season.

Heck - if Stockman just gives them 5 pts, 4 rebounds, 1 block, and can just play competent defense for 10-15 minutes a game, that will make a difference on the team. Less need to play Curry heavy minutes at C; allows Oturu to get his feet wet without having to play major minutes right off the bat; and no need to go small and put Murphy in the middle. It changes the whole rotation at C and PF. That, of course, assumes that Stockman is capable of doing that.

Anybody would take those numbers obviously. I highly doubt thats what Stockman will average that this year though. If anyone is averaging 10, 8 and 2, it's going to be Oturu and even that would be a lofty expectation for him.

Also even if Oturu or Curry went down and we all knew that was going to happen, I'd still take Geno.

Heck - if Stockman just gives them 5 pts, 4 rebounds, 1 block, and can just play competent defense for 10-15 minutes a game, that will make a difference on the team. Less need to play Curry heavy minutes at C; allows Oturu to get his feet wet without having to play major minutes right off the bat; and no need to go small and put Murphy in the middle. It changes the whole rotation at C and PF. That, of course, assumes that Stockman is capable of doing that.
I think Oturu plays major minutes right away anyways.

Omersa is the one who now has time to get his feet wet. He is the one affected the most by this news.

I believe Matz will benefit the team being back. He has practiced with the team for a year so everyone should be comfortable playing together. Plus he is a 7 footer in the paint that will affect shots - no complaints here and hope he can contribute on a regular basis.

Anybody would take those numbers obviously. I highly doubt thats what Stockman will average that this year though. If anyone is averaging 10, 8 and 2, it's going to be Oturu and even that would be a lofty expectation for him.

Also even if Oturu or Curry went down and we all knew that was going to happen, I'd still take Geno.

There is a much better chance that Stockman only gets 10 points and 8 rebounds all season than averaging that for the season.

This might not be a positive for the program, but it is certainly not a negative given when the return of Stockman occurred. The opportunity cost of having him on scholarship this year is almost nothing. I do like that Matz was in practice all last year so unlike every other late addition, he shouldn't have an adjustment period. Welcome back Matz, it really is like you never left!

Top Bottom