Per Marcus - Former Gophers center Matz Stockman is returning to team

GopherLady

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

People still thinking it was his choice to transfer? What a mess of a situation. Glad we’ll have the depth but embarrassing.

People still thinking it was his choice to transfer? What a mess of a situation. Glad we’ll have the depth but embarrassing.

Embarrassing for Matz? Not sure why its embarrassing for the Gophers. At the end of the day, we fill the open spot with a player that can provide depth. We had a shot at a nice combo guard and took our chances. Looks like no harm no foul to me.

I take this as absolute proof that this was all Matz decision. If he had been booted he never would come back. The bridge would have been burned.
Seems like he saw the grass was not greener elsewhere.

Have to be a graduate to be a grad transfer. Gophers still had a spot open so as long as their were no problems off the court or with teammates why not allow him to come back and add to your depth.

I take this as absolute proof that this was all Matz decision. If he had been booted he never would come back. The bridge would have been burned.

I think so to, when he saw the schollie was still available he probably called Pitino and asked if he could come back, good for both of them.

I think this will be final nail in the coffin-what a mess. Struck out with everyone and now taking someone who didn't want to be here back?

Correct, realized he wasn’t getting playing time at Cal. Matz asked to leave and to come back. Pitino said yes to both

If Matz was pushed out by Pitino to make room for Geno, then I absolutely agree that this is a gong show that should be criticized.

If Matz left of his own accord, then decided it was a mistake and asked to return, then I would compliment Pitino on being gracious.

That missing piece of info is critical.

I think this will be final nail in the coffin-what a mess. Struck out with everyone and now taking someone who didn't want to be here back?

Lol. Yes, this is the final nail. Pitino will be fired by end of day today because Matz ended up staying with the team. Thanks for the laugh.

It's a mess, but he will be judged primarily on how many games he wins this season, not how how he handled the 13th roster spot. Come on.

Maybe they heard that the spin on the NCAA Wheel of Random Decisions for Carr came up golden and they decided they'd like depth at center? I know, we'd never have that luck.

Correct, realized he wasn’t getting playing time at Cal. Matz asked to leave and to come back. Pitino said yes to both
Wrong. He never actually left Minnesota he has been taking classes here all summer. He decided to take a big course load earlier this summer to become a grad transfer but he wasn't able to get enough credits to graduate.

Wrong. He never actually left Minnesota he has been taking classes here all summer. He decided to take a big course load earlier this summer to become a grad transfer but he wasn't able to get enough credits to graduate.

Why can’t both be right?

Why can’t both be right?
The part about he realized he wouldn't get any playing time at Cal just isn't right. The only guy they have over 6'8 is a freshman. I'm not sure how much he will end up playing for the Gophers but either way I'm not gonna be mad about adding a little more depth.

I didn't say he was going to be fired at the end of the day. If he doesn't get to the ncaa this year, this will be a part of the decision whether to keep him or not.

I didn't say he was going to be fired at the end of the day. If he doesn't get to the ncaa this year, this will be a part of the decision whether to keep him or not.

Ya man, Coyle is definitely not happy with Pitino using his last scholarship on a guy that could help the team!!!

The part about he realized he wouldn't get any playing time at Cal just isn't right. The only guy they have over 6'8 is a freshman. I'm not sure how much he will end up playing for the Gophers but either way I'm not gonna be mad about adding a little more depth.

Cal plays 5 out motion and presses. Length/wingspan and athleticism is more important that actual hieght. Matz wanted more time, hence why he took the big load to leave. You are right on the not having enough credits, but he wanted to go, which was my original point. Agree, depth won't hurt.

Top Bottom