Per Marcus - Former Gophers center Matz Stockman is returning to team

Disagree:

Health . . . . .Curry, Coffee, Dupree will all be 100% going into 2018/2019/
Brock Stull averaged 13 points a game the last two seasons, will help a ton.
The Freshman will help.
Stockman will add size and depth at center.
No more Fitzgerald, Konaté, Diedhiou.
Or Harris

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You make a strong case, obviously a great fan. I think he has done ok twice, horrible twice, and a incomplete for horrible injuries last year. He built the roster and some of it was of bad character. He gets a c- on fundamentals and a D for defense. He gets a A for hiring a better staff. Again, to be considered great in this conference or in any of the power 5 you better win a conference title or get to a final 4. True greatness to me is competing and winning multiple conference titles after year 4. Time will tell.

Why do people keep saying this? Read the thread. It's very clear what happened and isn't that surprising. Crandall was supposed to be coming so we cleared the spot. Then Crandall screwed us over. Getting Stockman back in that circumstance is a good thing.

I'm not sure what you are criticizing? I agreed that getting Stockman back is a good thing. He is way better than any other options we had on August 7th.

I don't know how you can defend the notion that this is unsurprising, though. I understand what happened with him and Geno. What is surprising is that a player who was granted his release and had found a good situation at another school is now remaining with the team.

I for one would like to thank Richard Pitino for giving me all this off-season entertainment but still not changing the team at all

You're kidding, right? Not changing the team at all?

I heard stockman really likes winter and realized he'd miss it

And man I would love to see it. However, I think we need to be real on the expectations. Pitino is starting to recruit at a solid middle of the pack or better rate and that is good. Now he has to have another upper tier finish - top six or better. Then he has to build on that. He needs to have a 5 plus year streak of winning 8+ games in conference with at least 3 of those years in the 10 plus win category and 2 of those years making a run for the Big Ten championship. Winning a Big Ten championship at this point would be a big, big bonus. For now- solid improvement to get the momentum going would be great.

Our history is to fail to support a coach and then to fire him and then claim we will support the next great coach. In a couple of years everyone is sharpening their axes again. We reached for Pitino, few others with high potential wanted the gig. He was a long term play and we need to understand it. He's going to be a GREAT coach somewhere. I hope it is here.

So true! It takes time and patience to build a program.

I think he means not changing the team from what it was expected to be this year. We added Stull, but everyone else that will be on the court was expected.

Since you're all taking this comment too literally. We lost Matz, had a bunch of entertainment, then got Matz back. That's what I'm saying.

Looks like you don't know what "final nail in the coffin" means either.
You're right, the deck chairs do need to be rearranged on the Titanic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Here's the odd thing about the supposed Stockman/Crandall situation.

Pitino had opportunities to run off under-performing players over the last few years (Gas, anyone) and did not do it. So why would he start now, and especially with a player who came to MN after playing for Pitino's father?

I'm not saying it's not possible - but it does strike me as odd.

Pitino had opportunities to run off under-performing players over the last few years (Gas, anyone) and did not do it. So why would he start now, and especially with a player who came to MN after playing for Pitino's father?

Agree. I don't think Pitino pushed Stockman out the door. There may have been a "you may not get much playing time here" conversation, but that's sort of a Captain Obvious line. It isn't going to be easy for Stockman to earn minutes, but he'll have the chance to do that. I'm still a Stockman fan.

I don't think Pitino pushed Stockman out the door. There may have been a "you may not get much playing time here" conversation.

Pitino isn't allowed to just pull the rug out from under a player. It doesn't work like that.

So actually, having a "you may not get much playing time here ... have you considered your options elsewhere?" meeting with Stockman may indeed be exactly what he did, in the sense that he couldn't give Geno a straight up "yes we will make room for you" answer directly, the way an NBA general manager would. It was a "let me see what I can do" answer ...

IF Carr gets cleared to played this year, we are a much better team with Carr and Stockman than with Crandall. With Carr and IW PG is a Gopher strength this year. NCAA- please clear Carr. Stull adds too.

Because Crandall gave him assurance he would commit and Crandall told Pitino to make room for him.

In the past with Gas, we may have had a decent player express interest but not a player the caliber of Crandall and not the level of interest Crandall had.

IF Carr gets cleared to played this year, we are a much better team with Carr and Stockman than with Crandall. With Carr and IW PG is a Gopher strength this year. NCAA- please clear Carr. Stull adds too.

I'd still probably take Crandall over Carr and Stockman but it would be close.

One good player in basketball is worth more than two decent players. And Stockman may not even be decent.

From the StarTrib article on seeking the waiver:

But CBSSports.com’s Gary Parrish pretty much said it best in a summer tweet on Louisville transfer Lance Thomas seeking a similar waiver to play right away at Memphis this year: “Worth a shot, I guess. Nothing to lose. But the NCAA doesn’t really make a habit of granting transfer waivers simply because a player’s coach was fired.”

Pitino isn't allowed to just pull the rug out from under a player. It doesn't work like that.

So actually, having a "you may not get much playing time here ... have you considered your options elsewhere?" meeting with Stockman may indeed be exactly what he did, in the sense that he couldn't give Geno a straight up "yes we will make room for you" answer directly, the way an NBA general manager would. It was a "let me see what I can do" answer ...
Yes he can, scholarships are only good for a year.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Very good results with spring recruiting. I feel we are set up well to make the Tournament this year. Also next year. Would be 4 years in a row then if not for last season's injuries. Program is headed in the right direction and important to keep the recruiting train rolling.

I like Crandall but this is definitely a yes. I'm a big Carr fan and would say we are better team with just him over Crandall too. I'm also not real optimistic that the NCAA will clear Carr for this year.

I'll take 10 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocks per game any season.

If you take out the "per game" part and just make it "I'll take 10 points, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks," you might be close on the stats that he'll accumulate for the full season.

No coach since Bill Musselman has come even close to .500 in conference during their whole tenure. Since 1975 there have been only 5 years at .600 in conference or more and 6 of them if you add the Final Four year.

All of this is correct. So can you help me to understand why so many posters here pretend that the Gophers basketball program has some storied legacy, instead of accepting the reality that it is and almost always has been a bottom-tier power conference program?

I like Crandall but this is definitely a yes. I'm a big Carr fan and would say we are better team with just him over Crandall too. I'm also not real optimistic that the NCAA will clear Carr for this year.

You think Carr this year would be better than Crandall?

I'd definitely take Crandall over just Carr and even a package of him and Matz.

But I absolutely disagree that the previous sentence means that Gopher fans and the general public are therefore disallowed from criticizing Pitino for what happened, if that is indeed what happened. As if Pitino was just a helpless pawn in the Crandall family chess game. Please

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. What criticism do you feel is fair to level at Pitino for Stockman being back on the team?

What criticism do you feel is fair to level at Pitino for Stockman being back on the team?

More than zero. That was my point.

For me personally, it's not so much the specific act of bringing him back that makes me shake my head, it's just the whole situation of asking him to leave, failing to get the guy he wanted instead, and then being unable to get anyone else such that you take back the guy you thought you didn't need in the first place.

Top Bottom