Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    Stop.
    Show me a direct quote where Pitino asked Matz to leave. Just one will do.
    Please stop sharing a narrative that has no documented proof. There is no documentation. There is only your ignorant speculation.
    You could say this about almost anything when it comes to recruiting or team matters. He's not going to talk about it, except for maybe in really vague terms, whether it is 100% true or 100% false.

Quote Originally Posted by GibsonSG View Post
    Why on earth would Stockman come back here if he was pushed out the door? Certainly plenty of other schools would take him for a year. If you were fired from your job, would you go back to work for that company if they offered you your job back 2 months later? I sure wouldn't. That's why it seems more like Stockman's decision to me.
    What if they were honest and classy about it when they asked you to leave? I don't see why everyone thinks personnel changes always have to be ugly.
    Last edited by bizzle22; 08-09-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Well written post! I think something like this is likely close to the truth.

You can still criticize Pitino though, for not closing on Geno and then failing to identify any other transfer that could help next season. I'm glad that Stockman will get to come back to the program, regardless if he doesn't see the floor. It's a fine gesture and move, given no other possibility. But it still looks like a gong show to the average person. And that falls on Pitino for not closing.
    If the story is true, then Pitino thought he had closed on Geno as much as he could. The word of the player (basically a silent verbal) is as hard of a lock as he could get. Plus, having the player know what it took to make room for him should have locked up anybody. I don’t think Geno has signed any letters with The Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    If the story is true, then Pitino thought he had closed on Geno as much as he could. The word of the player (basically a silent verbal) is as hard of a lock as he could get. Plus, having the player know what it took to make room for him should have locked up anybody. I don’t think Geno has signed any letters with The Zags.
    We don't know what was said or not said, either way.

But if I was Pitino, I'd say something like "I will try to make roster moves, but only if you commit to me now that you'll come to Minnesota if we can make a scholarship available to you, and you commit to me now that you will not take any visits to any other school from this point onward". If something like that was said, then Geno is a bald-faced liar. I guess nothing you can do about that. But I'm guessing Pitino still left too much of an opening for him to take that visit to Gonzaga. In my gut, I knew as soon as they got him out to Spokane that they'd sell him. It turned out to be correct ...

I don’t think Geno has signed any letters with The Zags.
    curious if anyone knows. could the Zags list him on their roster if he hasn't signed? thinking that might violate any rules about not referencing recruits.

We don't know what was said or not said, either way.

But if I was Pitino, I'd say something like "I will try to make roster moves, but only if you commit to me now that you'll come to Minnesota if we can make a scholarship available to you, and you commit to me now that you will not take any visits to any other school from this point onward". If something like that was said, then Geno is a bald-faced liar. I guess nothing you can do about that. But I'm guessing Pitino still left too much of an opening for him to take that visit to Gonzaga. In my gut, I knew as soon as they got him out to Spokane that they'd sell him. It turned out to be correct ...
    He had told multiple former teammates at UND that he would be going to Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherOhana View Post
    curious if anyone knows. could the Zags list him on their roster if he hasn't signed? thinking that might violate any rules about not referencing recruits.
    Doesn’t he just need to enroll? Grad transfers are not the typical recruit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post
    Anyone else hear the circus music?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zjedLeVGcfE
    I'm not sure why you and others have been so overly dramatic about this entire Matz situation. Not a big deal. Glad he's back.

There is rarely anything “normal” when it comes to Gopher hoops. And if at anytime things seem normal...be afraid.
    The Matz saga, yawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Bad luck and trouble, two of my best friends"....Lightnin' Hopkins song about the Gophers

Doesn’t he just need to enroll? Grad transfers are not the typical recruit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't think enrolling is enough. You have to be accepted and actually attend a class.

Perhaps the argument is that they aren't listing him on any official rosters, as the athletics webpage is just informational and not official?

Perhaps the argument is that they aren't listing him on any official rosters, as the athletics webpage is just informational and not official?
    The athletics web page is official though.

Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    The athletics web page is official though.
    I don't not believe you, because I don't know. But ... why? Says who? Link?

I don't not believe you, because I don't know. But ... why? Says who? Link?
    Gophersports.com is the official website of gopher athletics.

Official website, of course. That just means GopherSports.com is run by the dept, as opposed to say gopherhole.com

But that doesn’t mean the roster posted on gopersports.com is anything more than informative, to my naive way of looking at it. If there is a rule or link saying otherwise, I’m happy to admit that I’m wrong!