College Football's Top 50 Running Back Units for 2018 (Just Missed List: Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

40. UCF
41. Toledo
42. Western Michigan
43. Texas A&M
44. Tennessee
45. UAB
46. Kansas State
47. SMU
48. Tulane
49. Ohio
50. West Virginia

Just Missed: Pitt, Tulsa, Texas, Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern, Colorado State, Boise State, Louisiana, Old Dominion, Marshall, Miami (Ohio), UMass, Nevada, Fresno State, Arizona, Arkansas State, Troy

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-50-running-back-units-2018

Go Gophers!!

*face palm* I do not understand why people still post badger loving athlon garbage... I just don't.

You have Rodney Smith and we're behind, Tulane, ohio, smu, uab, west mich, toledo, amongst others
who aren't actually better than us? I'm so beyond sick of these athlon posts....they're trash.

Fleck did such a great job at WMU that we haven't been able to catch them yet. Maybe next year!

Who in here believes we won't be a top 50 rushing team?

It appears we were 46th nationally last year with 182 yards per game.

Who in here believes we won't be a top 50 rushing team?

It appears we were 46th nationally last year with 182 yards per game.

Minnesota will always have to be a running team. That's just the way it has to work, with our geography. And it works just fine for Wisconsin!

Minnesota will always have to be a running team. That's just the way it has to work, with our geography. And it works just fine for Wisconsin!

There is no reason that because of climate the Gophers can't have a formidable passing attack. I just don't buy this premise. We are only going to play one game a year that weather will be a harsh factor and I don't see the Packers or the Patriots having trouble throwing the football in cold climates.

This article is ranking the top RB units, implying that depth is the key to their rankings. We have many question marks in our backfield after Rodney Smith, that being said we will end up being a top thirty-five rushing team. I like where we are.

There is no reason that because of climate the Gophers can't have a formidable passing attack. I just don't buy this premise. We are only going to play one game a year that weather will be a harsh factor and I don't see the Packers or the Patriots having trouble throwing the football in cold climates.

You are correct about the weather not preventing us from running an offense that throws the ball 50 times a game. We just won't ever achieve much success if we go that route ...

You are correct about the weather not preventing us from running an offense that throws the ball 50 times a game. We just won't ever achieve much success if we go that route ...

30 times a game would be more likely, please expand on your reasoning. After all, Fleck is a receiver, and I am sure if he had the proper personalle he would love to throw that pigskin around.

30 times a game would be more likely, please expand on your reasoning. After all, Fleck is a receiver, and I am sure if he had the proper personalle he would love to throw that pigskin around.

Any coach would love to throw the ball ... if the catches are always made, and the ball is never intercepted. It's a hard thing to do well. It's a riskier play than running the ball, on average. If you follow and believe in statistics, then calculating and managing risks is a big part of being a consistently winning team, again on average.

Iowa and Wisconsin don't often throw the ball more than they run it, for a reason. You may say that Iowa isn't a great team, but they do have great seasons (2015, for example). And we all know how Wisconsin has done lately.

Top Bottom