"This is not a rebuilding year": Frost

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Frost is almost belligerent in warning B10 powers that the Huskers will be back this season. None of the "year zero" stuff, and nothing about winning not being important or being put off three years. He's not bluffing, either - last year Nebraska had a lot of talent, didn't know how to use it and was still trying to do an NFL passing game in the B10. Didn't work. Don't be surprised if the Huskers win 7 or 8, coming off a 4-8 year.

Frost is almost belligerent in warning B10 powers that the Huskers will be back this season. None of the "year zero" stuff, and nothing about winning not being important or being put off three years. He's not bluffing, either - last year Nebraska had a lot of talent, didn't know how to use it and was still trying to do an NFL passing game in the B10. Didn't work. Don't be surprised if the Huskers win 7 or 8, coming off a 4-8 year.

If nebby wins 8 games I'll be shocked. Like fleck, I'd look to 2019 as their yr. Too many new aspects, changes.

Can’t believe it, after Tanner Lee declared. How are they going to replace those interceptions?

Akron- W
CO- toss up
Troy- W
@MI- L
Purdue- toss up
@WI- L
@NW- L
MN- toss up
@OSU- L
Ill- W
MSU- L
@IA- toss up

Looks like 3 wins, 5 losses and 4 toss ups to me. I'd be very surprised to see 8 wins, but hey who knows? That's the joy of a new season I suppose

Frost: No excuses, win, win now, facts, humble, trustworthy, tough
Fleck: year zero, control expectations, 5 year plan, elite, edgy, wants spotlight on him

Which guy would you rather play for? That’s an easy one for me.

Last edited:

From 2015-2018, Nebraska had the top rated recruiting class in the B1G West and finished 4th or 5th overall in the conference recruiting rankings in each of those 4 seasons. It's much easier to not talk about a "year zero" or "rebuilding" (even though Minnesota hasn't been built in my lifetime) with that type of talent on the roster.

Fleck: year zero, control expectations, 5 year plan, elite, edgy, wants spotlight on him

This is where you started to lose me.

To pretend the two programs are even comparable from a starting spot is laughable.

Nebraska's last four recruiting classes under Riley ranked:

From that you would expect near top 25 results

Minnesota's last four recruiting classes before Fleck:

Off the field:
Frost is taking over a clean program with little off the field issues.
Fleck took over a program with massive negative publicity.

As Gopher fans we are not used to having winning coaches. With average talent it is about developing the talent, putting the players in the position to win, and using the right scheme to fit your talent. Holtz was the last real coach we had and couldn't keep him. Things happened at WMU under Fleck, let's hope he does it here, but he is no Frost.

I used to live near Lincoln as a little kid. Tornado Alley. About once a week in summer, two opposing air masses would collide over the plains and make a big messy storm.

Frost's comments remind me of that. The opposing front of massive expectations (far beyond those in MN) for Frost to be the savior and the expectations of being football royalty collides with the reality of a team that won 4 games last year, had a lot of transfers, and got pasted by the Gophers of all teams.

There's prolly going to be a big storm in year 1.

Play for? This season? Probably Frost. It would be hard to be a senior in particular and get the vibe your coach sees this as a rebuilding year. As a fan of an average program who probably needs some expectation management? Fleck.

It's a little funny that you cite Frost as being humble while he touts a faux "national championship" from last year and apparently (used to have) a box of rings from it. While he seems to think he can magically flip the switch on a team that a really respected coach (Mike Riley) struggled to win with.

Meanwhile PJF goes out of his way to bring us along slowly, piece-by-piece, and he's supposedly not. PJF's saying a lot of the same brick-by-brick sort of things ol' Country Jer used to say, just in a different vernacular and tone.

As Gopher fans we are not used to having winning coaches. With average talent it is about developing the talent, putting the players in the position to win, and using the right scheme to fit your talent. Holtz was the last real coach we had and couldn't keep him. Things happened at WMU under Fleck, let's hope he does it here, but he is no Frost.

What is Frost? A head coach for two years, starting his third. We'll see.

With the expectations at Nebraska there is no chance he comes out and says anything close to the word rebuilding. Reality is that they have a long way to go to meet those expectations but as a good soldier, he says win now. The Husker team I saw at TCF last year is so far from the old days. A comical version of the Huksers of old.

So, why is this a thread on GH?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

How could a new coach come into Nebraska which has had several years of top 35 recruiting classes and say "Yeh, it's going to take some time".

HaHaHa, that was a good one. Wait...you were serious?

How could a new coach come into Nebraska which has had several years of top 35 recruiting classes and say "Yeh, it's going to take some time".

Given that all that talent amounted to a 4 win season last year, I think there is a fair chance it was significantly overrated the recruiting services.

HaHaHa, that was a good one. Wait...you were serious?
I mean Frost did more at UCF than PJ did at Western and in a better conference to Boot. The AAC deserves more respect. UCF, USF, Temple, Houston, Memphis and Navy have had some nice teams in the last few years. Would like to see gophs play some of these teams, too bad the Navy game got cancelled.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nebraska was 9-4 (5-3 in the Big Ten) in 2014. The last season under Pelini. Under Riley they went 6-7 (3-5) in 2015. They were 9-4 (6-3) in 2016 and 4-8 (3-6) last season. Gophers beat them in '14 and '17.

Would guess that nearly all Nebraska fans thought that the 6-7 and 4-8 years were an aberration. They wouldn't put up with another one like it.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

there's no hard and fast rule we cant talk trash about other programs on here. I like to think of this as more of a B1G football board than exclusively for just gopher talk.

The difference between Nebraska and Minnesota is that Nebraskans NEED to win. This is all they have. This is their Vikings, Timberwolves, Twins, Wild, Loons and Gophers all wrapped into one. Frost can't say this is year zero, he would be destroyed. He has to talk like this and he has to back it up. If he doesn't succeed immediately they'll turn on him fast.

He was brought in to succeed immediately. PJ was brought in to succeed over time. They're different things.

The difference between Nebraska and Minnesota is that Nebraskans NEED to win. This is all they have. This is their Vikings, Timberwolves, Twins, Wild, Loons and Gophers all wrapped into one. Frost can't say this is year zero, he would be destroyed. He has to talk like this and he has to back it up. If he doesn't succeed immediately they'll turn on him fast.

He was brought in to succeed immediately. PJ was brought in to succeed over time. They're different things.

Well said but I think they will be more patient with Frost than the past two coaches. They cannot afford to keep changing just like the Gophers cannot.
Do they Huskers have a decent QB lined up to play this fall?

Well said but I think they will be more patient with Frost than the past two coaches. They cannot afford to keep changing just like the Gophers cannot.
Frost is their Harbough, they'll give him every chance in the world, but like with Jim at Michigan this is Nebraska Waterloo, if they can't recapture glory days with one of there good ole boys, theyll probably stay in Bo Pelini eight, nine win purgatory. Should have kept Solich.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I think if you ask Huskers fans, as misguided as it sounds, they were pretty patient with Bo. My guess would be that if Frost quickly gets them back to Pelini's consistent 9-10 win level and top 25 ranking, he will get plenty of patience from them.

Frost: No excuses, win, win now
Fleck: year zero, control expectations, 5 year plan

Agree 100%

Relevant to current scheduled [conference] competition as well as new coach comparison (see above). Otherwise I agree, too much non-Gopher topics here.

Top Bottom