"This is not a rebuilding year": Frost

With due respect, ftf was saying a signature win changes the narrative, not overall wins. Big difference, and I'm not sure it does if it comes in a 5-6 win season. Also, I would accelerate your win total by a year.

The UMN coach that beats our rivals on a constant basis will stay here a long time whether they win 10 games, 8, 6...whatever. if Fleck starts to beat WI and IA, he will stay here for years if he wants

Frost is almost belligerent in warning B10 powers that the Huskers will be back this season. None of the "year zero" stuff, and nothing about winning not being important or being put off three years. He's not bluffing, either - last year Nebraska had a lot of talent, didn't know how to use it and was still trying to do an NFL passing game in the B10. Didn't work. Don't be surprised if the Huskers win 7 or 8, coming off a 4-8 year.

(Checks Nebraska schedule)
(Sees crossover games with Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State. Also has Iowa and Wisconsin in the division)
Sure. Ok. Frost can say whatever he wants, but reality is a bitch.

I agree with "Face" on this point - if Fleck wins at MN, the questions go away.

Fans want to win, and they will accept almost anything to be associated with a winning team. I've said from the start that Fleck's personality doesn't work for me - but I will live with it if the team wins. Other people have questions - as yet unanswered - about Fleck and his staff from a coaching standpoint (X's & O's), and recruiting.

for the 2018 season, qualifying for a bowl game will help to answer some - if not all - of the questions.

But, when a new coach - any coach - comes in talking about playing for championships, at some point he has to - at the very least - deliver a team that is capable of contending for championships.

For Fleck and the Gophers, I would say that means some type of progression. 6-7 wins this year; 7-8 wins in 2019; 8-9 wins in 2020; 9-10 wins in 2021 and so forth. I don't expect miracles, but I would like to see progress.

On the other hand, if it's 2020, and the team is still struggling to qualify for a low-tier bowl game, and they're playing before 35,000 fans - then it's going to get VERY interesting.

I'm going to steal a line from Fleck on this year in that the win total for this year almost doesn't matter.

Ideally we win 6-7 and go to a bowl game, but if we win 8-10 games, I'd have to wonder how the hell that happened and why. Did we rely on a senior to make that happen which will cause us to regress the following year, or is it all freshman and redshirt Freshmen carrying the load. If we end up playing even more freshman than expected, that would likely be the reason for us to finish with 3-4 wins. If that's the case, we got bit by an injury bug or something else is going wrong.

If Fleck's team is going to peak, it's going to either be with a team with a bunch of Juniors and Seniors, or with excellent QB as a junior or Senior.
Roster and time tell us that would need to be 2020-2021-2022.

I think I'm more patient on this matter than most other posters however.

In any regard, I don't see Fleck being in trouble for keeping a job until end of season 2020 unless off the field issues pop up or if 2019 spirals badly into only a couple wins.

I'm going to steal a line from Fleck on this year in that the win total for this year almost doesn't matter.

Ideally we win 6-7 and go to a bowl game, but if we win 8-10 games, I'd have to wonder how the hell that happened and why. Did we rely on a senior to make that happen which will cause us to regress the following year, or is it all freshman and redshirt Freshmen carrying the load. If we end up playing even more freshman than expected, that would likely be the reason for us to finish with 3-4 wins. If that's the case, we got bit by an injury bug or something else is going wrong.

If Fleck's team is going to peak, it's going to either be with a team with a bunch of Juniors and Seniors, or with excellent QB as a junior or Senior.
Roster and time tell us that would need to be 2020-2021-2022.

I think I'm more patient on this matter than most other posters however.

In any regard, I don't see Fleck being in trouble for keeping a job until end of season 2020 unless off the field issues pop up or if 2019 spirals badly into only a couple wins.

I think it would have to be 3-4 wins in 2018 and then heading towards something like 3-6 into 3-7 into 3-8 in 2019, while a good new candidate head coach is surging in the MAC, CUSA, etc and is likely to be snatched up following 2019 season. That kind of scenario, I could see Fleck being done "early". But very much hoping that doesn't happen!

I dont know how good Colorado is supposed to be but Nebraska could easily start the season 2-4.

The UMN coach that beats our rivals on a constant basis will stay here a long time whether they win 10 games, 8, 6...whatever. if Fleck starts to beat WI and IA, he will stay here for years if he wants

Constant basis...OK...so every year. I was specific. If the team bumps along at 5-6 wins and always beat WI and IA, that also means Gophs are losing to some bad B1G teams and/or dropping a non-con game. Also assumes WI and IA do not have drop offs. Not taking the team to the next level, not the AD's expectations, and definitely not the fans' expectations.

Constant basis...OK...so every year. I was specific. If the team bumps along at 5-6 wins and always beat WI and IA, that also means Gophs are losing to some bad B1G teams and/or dropping a non-con game. Also assumes WI and IA do not have drop offs. Not taking the team to the next level, not the AD's expectations, and definitely not the fans' expectations.

If mase had beaten Iowa and Wisconsin more consistently, he wouldn't have been fired even w the Mich and TT debacles. Taking the team to the next level here means beating your rivals regardless if they are a top 10 team or not.

If mase had beaten Iowa and Wisconsin more consistently, he wouldn't have been fired even w the Mich and TT debacles. Taking the team to the next level here means beating your rivals regardless if they are a top 10 team or not.

I tried...

I think constant basis could mean as little as winning 50%. I know I would be pretty happy with a win against WI or IA every year, and if once in a while we won both and once in a while we lost both, I'd still be pretty satisfied. Problem is when you lose 14 in a row to the badgers that basically means you need to beat IA every year, and outside of one very good beating we haven't been doing that either. So to a fan like me Claeys last year was another year where we didn't break the streak with Wisconsin AND lost to Iowa. Fleck's first year was just more of the same.

Well said Face the Facts. Last year’s lack of QB talent could also be a factor in both team’s drop off.
How much longer will we have to hear the, “but the 2016 won 9 games”?

Fleck is not a savior. He is taking us backwards in many ways, is all about himself. Coyle had every right to hire a new coach if he wanted. I don’t care that he went another direction. He screwed up the messaging of it and made what I think is a poor hire of a coach who had one good year previously. It’s not about wishing the previous regime was here, it’s about not believing in the clown show we have now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really, do we have to get into the PJ bashing in every thread. At least all of you haters will be gone soon when your obsession with PJ won’t allow you to follow a successful team at the U.

Back on topic... Frost is really setting himself up for criticism by raising expectations so quickly. He can’t replace all of the players overnight. He reminds me of Brew...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish he would make them successful, but I don’t believe he will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frost: No excuses, win, win now, facts, humble, trustworthy, tough
Fleck: year zero, control expectations, 5 year plan, elite, edgy, wants spotlight on him

Which guy would you rather play for? That’s an easy one for me.
Was this a rhetorical question? Was the answer "Fleck"?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

In Frost's presser today following the loss to Troy, he already almost looks like a beaten man.

Commented something to the effect that if some of the players are not buying in, they can leave right now. Quite a change from earlier this week when he said he plans to be in the B1G Championship game.

Top Bottom