Chargers UDFA Steven Richardson worthy of a spot on 53-man roster [USA Today]

Nice article. YES, more Gophers in NFL please!

He's going to make it. Doesn't surprise me in the slightest he's standing out. This isn't the first time I've said this, or others have, but I sincerely believe he's going to be a 10 year fixture for some team at DT.

Richardson uses his height to his advantage. He almost always seems to win battles involving leverage because he is built so low to the ground. For his size, he holds up in the middle of the line. He is not easy to move in the run game and is slippery when it comes to getting around offensive linemen to get into the backfield.

His leg drive and motor are exceptional as he never gives up on a play. Richardson shows off his quickness most often when rushing the passer. He uses his hands very well to shed blocks. When he gets held up in one gap, he can counter quickly to the other to make something out of nothing.

The former Minnesota product is a player who is going to offer a ton against the run, he will most often demand and eat double teams so that other members of the front-seven can provide pressure.

Given his skillset, he fits into the rotation to his position versatility. While he played mostly nose tackle in college, he will play the 3-technique for the Chargers as well.

Richardson will have his work cut out for him to make the team, as does any undrafted free agent. But, he has the traits that will work in his favor and should catch the attention of the coaching staff throughout the next upcoming month.

Go Gophers!!

Another guy like that -- uses "short" height to advantage -- .... oh just a guy named Aaron Donald.

He's going to make it. Doesn't surprise me in the slightest he's standing out. This isn't the first time I've said this, or others have, but I sincerely believe he's going to be a 10 year fixture for some team at DT.

Absolutely. Dude is a stud and has been proving people wrong forever. He's a fundamentally sound, high-motor player who doesn't flash but always does the right thing. You don't start -- and make a huge impact -- as a Frosh in the B1G on the interior DL without doing many things right.

give me strength and burst any day over something so arbitrary as height. How many times have you seen really tall guys that cant get their pads low? it amazes me that he went undrafted but hopefully he makes the cut! Go gophs!

Not to rehash this over and over. However this guy gives me a thought. He was undrafted as we all know. So now if you were to have given all the eligible players a rating using the star system to make it in the NFL. How many stars would he have had going in to the draft?

Not to rehash this over and over. However this guy gives me a thought. He was undrafted as we all know. So now if you were to have given all the eligible players a rating using the star system to make it in the NFL. How many stars would he have had going in to the draft?

I believe the point of the star rating for high school players is to say what their potential is to help a college program be competitive. So applying the same logic of players looking to be drafted, signed, or otherwise invited to a camp, it would be to rate their potential to help an NFL team be competitive.

So given that logic, and that Richardson was an UDFA, I would guess he would've been a 2-star NFL prospect.

A 1-star would be a college player that was invited to some kind of spring camp/tryout, to see if he's even good enough to be worth a spot in the early fall camp, while 3-star would probably be a mid to late round draft pick.

Top Bottom