Northwestern 2018-19

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
https://nusports.com/schedule.aspx?path=wbball&

Northwestern's non-conference schedule with last seasons opponent's RPI. The 'Cats will host Duke in their first game in the remodeled Welsh-Ryan.

346 Chicago State
332 U Illinois Chicago
185 Pittsburg
180 @ Florida
158 U T Martin
150 (N) Wichita State
87 (N) Kansas or 116 Washington State
28 @ UWGB
22 @ Depaul
21 Marquette
14 Duke

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2018/...etball-rallies-past-florida-for-overtime-win/

First Duke and now Florida, the 'Cats have something going.

Trailing by 11 with just three minutes to play Sunday, Northwestern could have given up.

Instead, the Wildcats turned up the defensive pressure and pulled out a win.

NU ended regulation on a 13-2 run, with sophomore guard Jordan Hamilton putting the exclamation mark on the rally by making a layup with less than a second remaining to tie the game at 72. The Cats (4-0) then outscored host Florida 11-2 in overtime to stun the Gators in Gainesville, 83-74.

“I saw that time was running down and it was getting really hectic,” Hamilton said. “I knew that I was either going to get a foul or I was going to get a shot off, so I was just trying to be aggressive.

The extra period was anti-climatic, with NU taking the lead on its first possession on a Kunaiyi-Akpanah layup. The Cats did not trail again. A clutch 3-pointer by Scheid with under two minutes left stretched the lead to 79-74, and NU was never really threatened after that.

“We did a good job in the last couple minutes of regulation defensively,” coach Joe McKeown said. “In overtime, we just forced them into taking some bad shots, and that was the key.”

The Cats’ four stars all finished in double figures. In addition to Pulliam’s 22, Scheid and Kunaiyi-Akpanah had 18 points apiece and Hamilton chipped in with 16. Kunaiyi-Akpanah also had 13 rebounds to give her yet another double-double, her third in the season’s first four games.

The production out of NU’s top players was especially impressive considering the fact that Kunaiyi-Akpanah, Scheid and Hamilton were all playing key minutes down the stretch with four fouls.

Northwestern has a nice club. They won't win the BIG, but if they can stay healthy, they could earn an NCAA berth. (They'll have to stay healthy, because they don't have much depth.) The Gophers Bello and the Wildcats Akpanah seem to be similar players and they should both be among the top rebounders in the conference.

They are probably more worthy of the Top 25 than the Gophers right now, but we’ll see how it works out long term. The Gophers are benefiting from their accomplishments of last year combined with the Whalen hype. Now they need some impressive wins, like over Syracuse for example... the only impressive team on the schedule until the Big Ten conference games.

Don't forget RPI-boosting Green Bay in the NW win column. They have a really tough OOC schedule (with DePaul and Marquette still to come) and they're doing a terrific job with it.

NW gave most of it back in the second period. 35-33 NW at the half

I assume NW folks were in foul trouble but that is one of the weirder quarter-by-quarter scores I've ever seen. NW scores 32 in the first quarter, 3 in the second quarter (you read that right). 9 in the third

Northwestern took down MSU tonight, 70-62, even with Colley putting up 28 pts, 7 reb, 4 stl

Last edited:

Abi Scheid left the Michigan game late in the first half following a lane collision with Thome. She returned to the bench (but not the game) with her right foot taped.

Abi Scheid did not play in today's 57-54 loss to Purdue. After the game, McKeown said he didn't have an update on Scheid's status.

Top Bottom