Shama: Fleck ‘Excited’ about Frosh Wide Receiver Rashod Bateman

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

With official Gopher football practices underway, it will be intriguing to watch freshman wide receiver Rashod Bateman. “I am excited to see what he can do,” said Gophers head coach P.J. Fleck.

A four-star recruit in high school, per 247/Sports and Rivals, the Tifton, Georgia native had 83 receptions for 1,539 yards and 21 touchdowns during his senior prep season. He was good enough that national power Georgia tried to persuade him to change the verbal commitment he made to the Gophers in June of 2017.

The anticipation is Bateman will bring speed, explosiveness and big play ability to the Minnesota wide receivers position. Fleck hopes the production and depth at that position will be improving with the addition of Bateman, return of potential All-Big Ten junior wide receiver Tyler Johnson, and the maturity of redshirt sophomore Phillip Howard and redshirt freshmen Demetrius Douglas and Chris Autman-Bell.

Another pass receiver of note could be tight end and converted quarterback Seth Green. Since switching positions earlier in the year, the 6-4, 240-pound redshirt sophomore has apparently impressed Fleck who talked about doing “creative things” in the offense with the former East Ridge quarterback from Woodbury.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Interesting comment about Green. Could we see Seth occasionally sling it? Could we see him in the backfield catching a wheel route? Or, how about a RUTM? [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Interesting comment about Green. Could we see Seth occasionally sling it? Could we see him in the backfield catching a wheel route? Or, how about a RUTM? [emoji2]

Just having Green line up in the backfield as an H-back or in the slot and then in motion should cause some caution for defenses of a passing threat.

He can be an added threat to pass. He is athletic enough to be productive at TE.

I am reminded of a certain Marqueis Gray who is still playing in the pros. I don't think Seth has Marquies' speed, but he can be a dangerous run/pass threat.

Last edited:

While I'm rooting for the other guys, I'm particularly rooting for Seth as I believe he handled the position change well.

I feel like Seth saw the writing on the wall. Oregon wanted him as TE and he tried at QB here, but didn't work out. No reason he can't be successful with his size at TE.

On Bateman: He has the potential to be the best receiver we've ever had. Will he reach that potential? I hope so!

On Green: Ryan Burns has been talking about how Green looks like an absolute beast of a human after starting to lift like a tight end and not a quarterback. Says from a physical standpoint it looks like he could play in the league. Just has to figure it out on the field.

I just assumed that was going to be the case.

While I'm rooting for the other guys, I'm particularly rooting for Seth as I believe he handled the position change well.

He's really handled the whole situation well. Even if it wasn't a position change, it was obvious, to everyone that we did not want to play him at QB last season. I am not questioning that decision, but that had to be a difficult spot for a highly rated recruit to be in - - we are in dire need of a QB, he is a QB, and . . . crickets.

He seemed to handle that well. He seemed to handle the position change well. By every indication, he seems to work really hard (scout team player of the year on offense last year).

I really hope he finds a ton of success. He's a good athlete and I've heard from several people how big he has gotten. I don't know if they are just repeating Burns or not, but yeah.

Let's go Seth!

To stay on topic - - I'm really excited to see what we get out of Bateman too. Let's all remember though, he is a true FR, anything we get this year is a bonus.

He's really handled the whole situation well. Even if it wasn't a position change, it was obvious, to everyone that we did not want to play him at QB last season. I am not questioning that decision, but that had to be a difficult spot for a highly rated recruit to be in - - we are in dire need of a QB, he is a QB, and . . . crickets.

He seemed to handle that well. He seemed to handle the position change well. By every indication, he seems to work really hard (scout team player of the year on offense last year).

I really hope he finds a ton of success. He's a good athlete and I've heard from several people how big he has gotten. I don't know if they are just repeating Burns or not, but yeah.

Let's go Seth!

To stay on topic - - I'm really excited to see what we get out of Bateman too. Let's all remember though, he is a true FR, anything we get this year is a bonus.

Thank you for transcribing my notes...

I think that was Mo Ibrahim, IIRC.

He can be an added threat to pass. He is athletic enough to be productive at TE.

I am reminded of a certain Marqueis Gray who is still playing in the pros. I don't think Seth has Marquies' speed, but he can be a dangerous run/pass threat.
Q isn't super fast. It's possible Green is just as fast.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Bateman looks like a big time reciever, tall 6-2 lean, quick, fluid trough his cuts, a great hands catcher and excellent speed after the catch. He is all of his 4 star rating. If teams want to double Tyler Johnson, or rotate to his side of the field Bateman can make them pay. I know he has not played a down, but this is a big time recruit and he has talent.

Last edited:

Bateman looks like a big time reciever, tall 6-2 lean, quick, fluid trough his cuts, a great hands catcher and excellent speed after the catch. He is all of his 4 star rating. If teams want to double Tyler Johnson, or rotate to his side of the field Bateman can make them pay. I know he has not played a down, but this is a big time recruit and he has talent.

This is going to be big difference this year is that we will have multiple options to throw to. Yes our QBs were bad last year but not many receivers got open. Last year I liked Johnson and Douglas who tore ACL early. This year we have both back...hopefully Douglas comes back strong. Plus bateman and autumn-bell are suppose to be good. Also add potentially Gibson and more improved Howard and depending on how Seth Green responds to new position.

Top Bottom