PP: Gophers football ready to see what Alabama and Florida transfers can do

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

On early signing day last December, Gophers coach P.J. Fleck reminded fans that while O.J. Smith and Chris Williamson are not typical 18-year-old high school graduates, they can still be considered members of Minnesota’s 2018 recruiting class.

The incoming transfers come with experience — albeit very limited — in the vaunted Southeastern Conference. Within two days in July 2017, Williamson, a Florida cornerback, announced he was coming to Minnesota, followed by Smith, an ex-Alabama defensive tackle.

The pair have since complied with NCAA rules in sitting out the 2017 season, and now, the Gophers will see how the juniors can compete this fall.

“I picked Minnesota because I knew I could have a role here,” Smith explained Saturday in his first public comments as a Gopher. “Me and Coach Fleck talked for a long time and I chose here and he chose me, so I feel comfortable.”

The Bossier City, La., native was a four-star member of Alabama’s 2014 recruiting class. He had one tackle in one game as a freshman in 2015 and one tackle in one game as a sophomore.

When Williamson made his official visit to Minnesota last year, Fleck sold him on his vision of turning Minnesota into a consistent winner.

“He had a history of winning (at Western Michigan) and I believe he’s going to win here at Minnesota, so that is the reason why I chose Minnesota,” Williamson said.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/08/...ee-what-alabama-and-florida-transfers-can-do/

Go Gophers!!

I haven't heard much buzz about Williamson since he transferred in. It does look like he is the expected starter at CB. Does anyone have any info on what he brings to the table? Should we expect an upgrade from last year?

Top Bottom