MJ Anderson Commits!

Definitely like that he already has the ideal weight for a DE.

Definitely like that he already has the ideal weight for a DE.

Probably the most underrated part of the DLine guys Fleck has recruited this year is they seem to all be relatively plug and play in this aspect. Anderson looks like your typical run stuffing Michigan St. D End we’ve seen in the Dantonio era. His build is very similar to Shilique Calhoun. A lot to like about this DLine class. The secondary will need some grooming but the front 7 in 2019 has the chance to be very deep.

Between Anderson, Bargy, and Harris this is by far the studliest group of DE I have seen recruited to MN. Welcome, MJ!

Between Anderson, Bargy, and Harris this is by far the studliest group of DE I have seen recruited to MN. Welcome, MJ!
Our trenches will be solid for a long time to come with these last couple of classes!!!

Exactly. Where have guys like this been for the last 15 years?

Last year we had the best o-line recruiting class maybe ever. This year it will be the best d-line class.

I like going away from 220lbs de strategy

D_Fence.jpg

Impressive - kudos to PJ and his staff.

Recent Notre Dame, Nebraska, Arkansas, Michigan State offers.

Hard to say if any of these guys will be great, but having the size and a few to choose from certainly gives higher upside potential.

PJ is setting the O-line and D-line for 2021-2022.

I have been on gopher hole for twenty years. I am asking that MennoSota gets banned. Cant you see his constant jerky behavior? Come on.

I am asking the moderators to ban the pest.

Welcome to 3[emoji294]U, Mr Anderson.

What is your obsession and put down of 3-Star players? This is a tiresome rhetoric we keep hearing from you.

There are more 3-Stars drafted in the 2017 NFL draft than any other star rated players. While 4-Stars and 5-Stars account for ~39%, there is greater probability that teams will find value in unrated, 2-Star, and 3-Star players. The vast majority of NFL rosters are peppered with former 3-Star players (I don't want to belabor the arguments about star ratings, but please see the article with the Seahawks and Patriots rosters used as an example).

5⭐: 23
4⭐: 76
3⭐: 90
2⭐: 26
Unranked: 38

Once the players get into college, player development and drive to be excellent are more critical than the shiny stars that players arrive with. Of course, there are exceptional talented 4-Star and 5-Star players.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...riots-seahawks-high-school-recruiting-ratings

Last edited:

I do not want Menno banned.

He's doing a bit. OK, maybe he's pushing it pretty hard, but it's still a bit.

Menno- help me out here. As I see it, your point is that the Star ratings have very little meaning, because so many of the players have 3-star ratings.

I agree with you. I've said before that the star ratings don't mean much IF you have to qualify them with "high 3-star," "low 3-star," etc. Just give the numerical rating and forget the stars. IMHO, the stars exist to help sell subscriptions to the rating services.

Ultimately, if this guy can play, the stars and the ratings don't matter. If he can't play, the stars and the ratings don't matter.

5.6 three star on Rivals

84 three star on 247

It stands to reason this may go up if he comes back from injury and dominates his Sr. Season after missing his Jr. season. We have a few of those types.

I think the 3 Star bit has to do with the somewhat humorous parsing of the average three star 247 composites Gobie and his minions employ, or employing random cut lines, considering I think most fans were expecting more like 4-6+four stars per year (based on his recruiting reputation) rather than one and a Claeys-like .84 something something insignificant numbers avg rating on 247.

Like his predecessors, if PJ can coach up his guys these should be really competitive teams in a few years since he has brought in some pretty talented players IMO.

I do not want Menno banned.

He's doing a bit. OK, maybe he's pushing it pretty hard, but it's still a bit.

Menno- help me out here. As I see it, your point is that the Star ratings have very little meaning, because so many of the players have 3-star ratings.

I agree with you. I've said before that the star ratings don't mean much IF you have to qualify them with "high 3-star," "low 3-star," etc. Just give the numerical rating and forget the stars. IMHO, the stars exist to help sell subscriptions to the rating services.

Ultimately, if this guy can play, the stars and the ratings don't matter. If he can't play, the stars and the ratings don't matter.
Just poking the Fleckites who loudly stated that Fleck was going to bring in great recruits that were far better than what Kill and Claeys were bringing in. Yet, Fleck brings in the same 3 star recruits as Kill and Claeys.
I have no problem with the recruits. I think it's what UMN can legitimately land. I simply poke the bear. Take my comments as such.

Stay on men no but yeah we have barreiro to savage our team. Sometimes I crush Jerry Kill for screwing up the qb spot but it’s not the kids fault

Just poking the Fleckites who loudly stated that Fleck was going to bring in great recruits that were far better than what Kill and Claeys were bringing in. Yet, Fleck brings in the same 3 star recruits as Kill and Claeys.
I have no problem with the recruits. I think it's what UMN can legitimately land. I simply poke the bear. Take my comments as such.

= TROLL

get this guy off of here. It's clear as day if you compare the number and quality of P5 offers that the recruits we are getting under Fleck are of a different caliber. How many times in the past did we beat Notre Dame for multiple recruits in the same class? We are also getting commits way earlier now and I'd venture we will end up with 2-3 more 4 stars after the senior season rankings are done.

= TROLL

get this guy off of here. It's clear as day if you compare the number and quality of P5 offers that the recruits we are getting under Fleck are of a different caliber. How many times in the past did we beat Notre Dame for multiple recruits in the same class? We are also getting commits way earlier now and I'd venture we will end up with 2-3 more 4 stars after the senior season rankings are done.

Is it offers, stars, numerical rating, senior scholarships (offense and defense), upperclassmen, combine invitees, draftable players...

I agree he is recruiting better and on a higher tier but maybe not quite at the rate many hoped for (yet) and, it’s a team game played with dozens of participants. A handful of high rated guys may or may not pan out or be the difference makers we all hope them to be. Do we have a QB? Ultimately it’s - what, Imthe walrus - that determines the success of a coach? Some of these guys look really talented while others need to be developed and it’s just too early to say what will happen.

Is it offers, stars, numerical rating, senior scholarships (offense and defense), upperclassmen, combine invitees, draftable players...

I agree he is recruiting better and on a higher tier but maybe not quite at the rate many hoped for (yet) and, it’s a team game played with dozens of participants. A handful of high rated guys may or may not pan out or be the difference makers we all hope them to be. Do we have a QB? Ultimately it’s - what, Imthe walrus - that determines the success of a coach? Some of these guys look really talented while others need to be developed and it’s just too early to say what will happen.

I'm in no way trying to say that all is solved or that we reach the level we all hope for, but to argue that we're not seeing a difference in his recruiting is also false

I'm in no way trying to say that all is solved or that we reach the level we all hope for, but to argue that we're not seeing a difference in his recruiting is also false

Agreed. Expect to see a new level of performance by the coaching staff and players on the field this year also.

What is your obsession and put down of 3-Star players? This is a tiresome rhetoric we keep hearing from you.

There are more 3-Stars drafted in the 2017 NFL draft than any other star rated players. While 4-Stars and 5-Stars account for ~39%, there is greater probability that teams will find value in unrated, 2-Star, and 3-Star players. The vast majority of NFL rosters are peppered with former 3-Star players (I don't want to belabor the arguments about star ratings, but please see the article with the Seahawks and Patriots rosters used as an example).

5[emoji294]: 23
4[emoji294]: 76
3[emoji294]: 90
2[emoji294]: 26
Unranked: 38

Once the players get into college, player development and drive to be excellent are more critical than the shiny stars that players arrive with. Of course, there are exceptional talented 4-Star and 5-Star players.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...riots-seahawks-high-school-recruiting-ratings
I agree. The star system doesn't matter...except to the Fleckites who promised elite recruits who would be much greater than any recruits we've ever had. Even now I read how the last two recruiting cycles are the greatest recruiting classes that UMN has ever had in the history of UMN.
Really? Some people actually think we are doing better than our national championship teams? It is to that subset of fans that I post my 3[emoji294]U references.
To the sane posters, you recognize that the star system is merely an arbitrary system and four years of teaching by excellent coaching can turn low rated players into NFL veterans.
So, take my comments as directed at the folks who struggle to think outside the star system.

= TROLL

Does that make you a Yooper? [emoji41]
Who cares? Just get kids who love the U and work hard to be the best they can be. You can venture to your hearts content, but we currently attract 3 star athletes.
That's fine with me. Just win with 3 star athletes. Kill and company proved they could do it. I just rewatched that thrilling victory in 2014 over Nebraska at Lincoln. What a fun season.

I agree. The star system doesn't matter...except to the Fleckites who promised elite recruits who would be much greater than any recruits we've ever had. Even now I read how the last two recruiting cycles are the greatest recruiting classes that UMN has ever had in the history of UMN.
Really? Some people actually think we are doing better than our national championship teams? It is to that subset of fans that I post my 3[emoji294]U references.
To the sane posters, you recognize that the star system is merely an arbitrary system and four years of teaching by excellent coaching can turn low rated players into NFL veterans.
So, take my comments as directed at the folks who struggle to think outside the star system.

The recruits are seen as better on recruiting services and offer lists, but there's no way to guage if any of that translates. I get your skepticism and trollish posts but until MJ goes out and lays a dud, the brash behavior does nobody here any good. There's nothing wrong with being positive.

Top Bottom