Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2018 Defense

Shenault was worse than Duke McGhee??

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Loblaw View Post
    Winfield can really do it all. It'd be awesome if he was playing with a safety who could just play all over the field. That said, I think he'd probably be our best free safety as well.

As far as playing cover 0 or cover 1 in college, I think it's less risky (depending upon the QB). There aren't a lot of college QBs, especially with the wider hashmarks, that can take advantage of throwing deep to the wide side of the field.

It really depends on the quarterback. There is quite a bit a bit of it played in college football, we saw a lot of it with Sawvel and Claeys.
    You’re putting your corners/LB under a ton of pressure by playing man instead of zone. If you’ve got the horses to run it, great! If not ... tread carefully!

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Shenault was worse than Duke McGhee??
    Worst graded "CB" against the run.

Duke was a safety and was actually a pretty good run stopper but struggled against the pass.

Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Worst graded "CB" against the run.

Duke was a safety and was actually a pretty good run stopper but struggled against the pass.
    How do you grade a CB against the run? Missed tackles on runs to his side? Didn't fill the alley on a run play?
    Could part of his poor rating have to do with the players in front of him not doing their job forcing him to have to attempt more tackles than he should have?

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    You’re putting your corners/LB under a ton of pressure by playing man instead of zone. If you’ve got the horses to run it, great! If not ... tread carefully!
    Well yeah, I get the concern. I'm just saying it's run all of the time in college because the QBs aren't as good. Even the good ones don't often have the arm to throw deep to the wide side of the field (so a pure cover 2 is often a bit overkill).

Quote Originally Posted by GFBfan View Post
    How do you grade a CB against the run? Missed tackles on runs to his side? Didn't fill the alley on a run play?
    Could part of his poor rating have to do with the players in front of him not doing their job forcing him to have to attempt more tackles than he should have?
    All great questions that I can’t answer. I heard this directly from the Ryan Burns podcast.