2018 Hinges on Rodney Smith

bfast

Reaction score
2016 Rodney Smith:

-1100+ yards
-5.1 yards per carry
-16 TDs

This was also with Shannon Brooks getting a sizeable chunk of the carries.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/rodney-smith-5.html

The difference between overall team success or failure (6 or more wins in my mind) will likely rest on how well Rodney Smith does with bellcow duties.

2017 was disappointing for Rodney, but with a mostly-returning, more experienced offensive line and the added motivational understanding that he has to lead in 2018 without Brooks, the expectation should be a minimum 1,000+ yard & 10+ touchdown (on the ground) year. Even the most cynical should predict him to surface back up to the median of his 2016 and 2017 performances.

Success of the running game will of course depend on the passing attack, but I can only see that area trending up this year. Quarterback play was rock-bottom last year and Tyler Johnson should be a legit all-conference type #1 threat this year. Bateman can be a solid #2.

Absolutely. We need a big year from Rodney. Fingers crossed that the injury bug steers clear of him and the rest of our squad.

Last edited:

The unsung heroes or goats will be the offensive line. The Gophers need to continually build good/great offensive linemen depth.

The difference between victory and defeat can be 0.5 seconds extra time for a QB to execute a pass play, or for Rodney Smith to slither thru a half-second opportunity.

The OL just need to be solid, then consistent. Then eventually, they will need to be great once they build up full potential in three-four years of development.

I am not worried about the Gophers losing out on the Quinn Carrolls now. I am more worried about Callahan developing the offensive line.

Wisconsin has proven the importance of the offensive line.

What's an appropriate number to expect from Rodney, et al? 60%, 70% of the offense? Spring game showed signs that he will have help.

I'd like to see the development of a real passing game with more run/pass balance.

If the passing game becomes a real threat, opposing defense will have a tougher time defending against the run.

I think 40-60/60-40 sounds magical for Rodney Smith and the running game. Oh please, just don't make RUTM the be all and cure all.

My guess is that they may stumble in the beginning. PJ Fleck has a good point about learning how to win by losing. They've got to stick together and learn/execute from day one.

IMHO, this is the year that they'll see the progression of the offense increasingly get better from the start of the season to the end of the season.

I am sold on PJ Fleck's idea of participatory leadership. The team captains are playing a huge role in group player practice, development, and team discipline especially in the off-season. A happy locker room makes for good team chemistry.

One can only sense the closeness of the team by listening to the team captains in the recent media day.

My hunch is that not only Rodney Smith, but the rest of the RB corps & offense will have fun with the new offensive scheme.

I am beginning to see PJ Fleck's method to his madness coming to fruition.

total yards passing or running won't determine success for the season but rather being able to pass or run when you have to do either one.

I believe Rodney is at around 2600 yards rushing for his career. If he gets to around 1200 this season, he will be our second leading rusher of all-time behind DT. We’re watching one of the better backs in Gopher history.

Not only is Rodney a great player, but we have no one else on the roster who has carried the rock in a college football game.

The unsung heroes or goats will be the offensive line. The Gophers need to continually build good/great offensive linemen depth.

The difference between victory and defeat can be 0.5 seconds extra time for a QB to execute a pass play, or for Rodney Smith to slither thru a half-second opportunity.

The OL just need to be solid, then consistent. Then eventually, they will need to be great once they build up full potential in three-four years of development.

I am not worried about the Gophers losing out on the Quinn Carrolls now. I am more worried about Callahan developing the offensive line.

Wisconsin has proven the importance of the offensive line.

Especially if you're going to run up the middle ... you've got to have really solid interior OL. All starts at center, and having a healthy Jared Weyler I think will be key. Olson is a returning starter with a year of physical & mental maturity under his belt. And lots of people think Andries will start at the other guard position.

I don't think our season so much hinges on Rodney as much as Rodney's stats hinge on whether or not the rest of our offense can come together.

Rodney is good and he'll be good for us next season.

Rodney is one of the only constants we have.

I don't think our season so much hinges on Rodney as much as Rodney's stats hinge on whether or not the rest of our offense can come together.

I agree with most people that Rodney will be the key to our success. Good season for Rodney, good season for the Gophers. I wonder where Rodney fits into the equation for success as explained by Chris Doyle, the acclaimed strength and conditioning coach at Iowa. Accordingly, his equation for success follows the line of your values + your behavior minus what you will tolerate equals success. What you will tolerate means what goes on in the lockeroom, the weight room, even out on the field, or apartments/dorm will eventually show up in your performance and the team’s success or lack thereof. Tolerate half-Ass attitude, you will see half-ass performance. Actually pretty simple.

This is a good point. We know Rodney is really good, but his performance will be a barometer of how well our o-line and passing game come together.

I like the depth at this position. If he goes down I see any one of these newcomers stepping up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a different take on this. Rodney Smith (if healthy) is a given. We know what he can do. I hope we will see him get a lot more opportunities to catch balls out of the backfield this season. Instead of trying to pound up the middle or off-guard, swing him the ball in the flat, and give him a chance to slip a tackle and get a big gain.

BUT - I would take the opposite point of the OP. the season does not hinge on Smith. as I said, he is a proven commodity. As I define "hinge," I would say the season hinges on: (in this order) - QB play - OL play - WR play - and a defense that gets the other team off the field and swings time of possession.

If the Gophers don't get better QB play, Smith can't carry the team by himself. If the team doesn't get better OL play, Smith can't open holes by himself. If the team doesn't get better WR play, Smith will be facing 8 or 9 defenders in the box all season. And if the defense can't get the other team off the field, Smith will be watching way too much of the season from the sidelines, waiting for a chance to get back in the game. You can't gain any yards when the other team has the ball.

I am not questioning Smith's ability. I'm just saying that there are other factors that will determine the success of this year's Gopher team.

If your season hinges on one player, it's already over.

While Rodney will be a key player. It will take everyone to make this team click. Need defense, need a quarterback and you can clearly go on and on. So yes, if the season hinges on one player to do it all, we've got more serious problems than I realize.

I believe Rodney is at around 2600 yards rushing for his career. If he gets to around 1200 this season, he will be our second leading rusher of all-time behind DT. We’re watching one of the better backs in Gopher history.

Not only is Rodney a great player, but we have no one else on the roster who has carried the rock in a college football game.
Femi Cole got carries last year in non con

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

While one person does not make a team, we need Rodney's threat and production to be a constant.

This is the year to give other running backs touches throughout a game when an opportunity presents itself.

I have a different take on this. Rodney Smith (if healthy) is a given. We know what he can do. I hope we will see him get a lot more opportunities to catch balls out of the backfield this season. Instead of trying to pound up the middle or off-guard, swing him the ball in the flat, and give him a chance to slip a tackle and get a big gain.

BUT - I would take the opposite point of the OP. the season does not hinge on Smith. as I said, he is a proven commodity. As I define "hinge," I would say the season hinges on: (in this order) - QB play - OL play - WR play - and a defense that gets the other team off the field and swings time of possession.

If the Gophers don't get better QB play, Smith can't carry the team by himself. If the team doesn't get better OL play, Smith can't open holes by himself. If the team doesn't get better WR play, Smith will be facing 8 or 9 defenders in the box all season. And if the defense can't get the other team off the field, Smith will be watching way too much of the season from the sidelines, waiting for a chance to get back in the game. You can't gain any yards when the other team has the ball.

I am not questioning Smith's ability. I'm just saying that there are other factors that will determine the success of this year's Gopher team.
Agreed. Very good points, son.

I would venture to guess that 2018 hinges more on QB play than on Rodney Smith, but to each his own.

I would venture to guess that 2018 hinges more on QB play than on Rodney Smith, but to each his own.

If Rodney ends up with 400 yards on the season it will probably be a long year.

If he's healthy and finished with 400 yards, yeah, that's a big problem. But - let's be honest - Smith has been banged up before. If he ends up with 400 yards because he's injured, then that creates an opportunity for someone else - maybe one of the FR, to step in. Of all the positions on a FB team, RB is probably the easiest for a FR to step in and make an impact.

Now, given a choice, I'd rather have Smith instead of one of the FR. But, if he's injured, they're not going to cancel the season. Someone is going to play RB. (of course, if Smith is injured, that ramps up the pressure on the QB's to produce.....)

I know one thing for sure, its a slow news day.

I want 1500 rush yards and 12 TDs on the ground. Toss in a couple hundred receiving yards and we're good. Let's gooooo! :clap:

Not to worry. Next man up.

When Donnell Kirkwood went down with an injury, David Cobb took over and the rest is history.

Looking good for 1,000 yds and 10 touchdowns so far. O-line looks nice.

6th year medical red shirt?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6th year medical red shirt?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If his injury is season ending, I think the hardest part will be convincing him to stay another year. Like, in an interview earlier he already said he doesn't have many classes, which would likely mean adding a minor or two to make sure he has classes for fall 2019. Not to mention he'd have to want to stay another year. Maybe he feels he has a good chance at the NFL if he had a solid senior season, which may make him consider staying another year to get a solid season. IDK, this is all speculative and we should wait until we know the details of the injury.

If his injury is season ending, I think the hardest part will be convincing him to stay another year. Like, in an interview earlier he already said he doesn't have many classes, which would likely mean adding a minor or two to make sure he has classes for fall 2019. Not to mention he'd have to want to stay another year. Maybe he feels he has a good chance at the NFL if he had a solid senior season, which may make him consider staying another year to get a solid season. IDK, this is all speculative and we should wait until we know the details of the injury.

Really hard to say and the timing is unfortunate.

Was he likely a NFL draft level RB coming into the season?

His only football option might be another college year.

Top Bottom