STrib: Gophers to seek waiver for Pittsburgh transfer Marcus Carr to play in '18-19

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The standard NCAA rule is for non-graduate transfers to sit out one year at their new school, but Gophers coach Richard Pitino confirmed recently the U is seeking a waiver for Carr to play immediately. Pitino has no idea what the timetable would be for the NCAA to make a determination on Carr’s waiver request once it has been filed.

“We’re going to send in a waiver and take it from there,” Pitino said in July. “That’s kind of all we really know just yet. You never know with all of that’s stuff.”

Gophers compliance director Jeremiah Carter could only comment generally on the waiver process for players stating “The length of the process varies depending on the circumstances of the case and can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for a final ruling.”

Carter also stated: “A member institution is responsible for explaining within the waiver why they believe that the particular rule should not be applied based on some type of extraordinary or extenuating circumstances. The institution is also responsible for presenting objective documentation to back up whatever claim that they are making. The appropriate NCAA waiver team will review the waiver and also previous case precedent and guidelines from NCAA committees (which are made up of individuals from the NCAA membership) to determine whether or not the information presented warrants granting the waiver of NCAA rules.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...nsfer-marcus-carr-to-play-in-18-19/489997411/

Go Gophers!!

At least now there is a possibility he could play this year.

I think the NCAA is in the process of evaluating and possibly changing the rule when coaching changes happen and as such are looking at each case in the interim. I hope the waiver is accepted, the age where D1 athletes pick a school for academic reasons is long gone and it is stupid to pretend that is the case.

I think the NCAA is in the process of evaluating and possibly changing the rule when coaching changes happen and as such are looking at each case in the interim. I hope the waiver is accepted, the age where D1 athletes pick a school for academic reasons is long gone and it is stupid to pretend that is the case.

Well, if they let players transferring from institutions where the coach was fired play immediately, then, in fairness, I think they have to let players transferring to that institution play immediately.

Spin the NCAA Wheel of Random Decisions.

Spin the NCAA Wheel of Random Decisions.

Too funny, and sadly true. Carr being eligible this year would be huge. Fairly big/strong guard with some experience and a good handle.

The NCAA committee was supposed to have decided this issue in June. I expect they'll come up with modified rules in the very near future.

The NCAA is dreadfully slow but I'm leaning towards him getting it.

I thought we had submitted this waiver request a long ago and we’re just waiting to hear the decision. This “news” sounds like it is still yet to be done...?

Not expecting him to get waiver but it would be dumb if he doesn’t cause people with same situation have gotten it

Carr becoming eligible would really lessen the blow of missing out on Crandall. Not quite as good as him but would still be a very quality piece and would give us a true backup PG.

Carr becoming eligible would really lessen the blow of missing out on Crandall. Not quite as good as him but would still be a very quality piece and would give us a true backup PG.

There's a good chance he ends up being better though. I don't think Crandall would have done the things Carr did in the ACC as a freshman.

There's a good chance he ends up being better though. I don't think Crandall would have done the things Carr did in the ACC as a freshman.

I agree but I’m talking about next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a very weird decision by the NCAA. Blake Harris played for Missouri, for the first semester last season, then transferred to NC State. Instead of having to sit out a full year and resume playing in the second semester for NCSU, he is eligible to play right away. WTF? Using this precedent Carr should, at the minimum, be able to play the second half of the season for the Gophers.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article217096765.html

This is a very weird decision by the NCAA. Blake Harris played for Missouri, for the first semester last season, then transferred to NC State. Instead of having to sit out a full year and resume playing in the second semester for NCSU, he is eligible to play right away. WTF? Using this precedent Carr should, at the minimum, be able to play the second half of the season for the Gophers.

This is extremely encouraging for Carr. Harris was granted a waiver for NO reason. With the same logic, like you said, Carr should be eligible in the spring semester at the latest which would be almost all of the B1G schedule (and beyond hopefully). Considering Carr actually has a semi legitimate reason for his waiver, the staff has to like their chances of it going through a lot more after this decision. And hopefully this means we will hear something soon.

This could lead to a wave of mid-season transfers for Devoe Joseph or academic type reasons.

Hurricanes transfer Anthony Mack allowed to compete this season
By Rob DausterAug 22, 2018, 9:31 AM EDT

CORAL GABLES, Fla. — Miami Hurricanes transfer Anthony Mack has been granted a waiver by the NCAA and will be eligible to compete during the 2018-19 season.

A 6-foot-6 shooting guard, Mack was a freshman at Wyoming last season and didn’t play in any official games because of an injury. He will have four years of eligibility left.

Mack will help replace guards Lonnie Walker IV and Bruce Brown Jr., both underclassmen who turned pro after last season.

Hopefully this is a good sign for Carr.

Last edited:

It is better. We also have a center back and the jury is still out on how well “what’s his name” can handle the duties on a team where he isn’t “the guy”.

It is better. We also have a center back and the jury is still out on how well “what’s his name” can handle the duties on a team where he isn’t “the guy”.

I'd rather have Crandall over Carr and Stockman.

Crandall was also very good in 2016 when Hooker was "the guy" and still pretty solid in 2015 when he was the third/fourth option. It's a lot easier from going from being "the guy" to not the guy than the other way around. He's proven he can do either both against good and bad competition.

You could also say the jury is still out on if Stockman will even be better than Konate and if Carr can still be productive even if he isn't top 3 in minutes on the team like last year.

Last edited:

You are assuming his productivity translates to Big Ten competition which is highly unlikely, I'll take Stockman and Carr if he becomes eligible.

You are assuming his productivity translates to Big Ten competition which is highly unlikely, I'll take Stockman and Carr if he becomes eligible.
Yeah as much as I wish we had Crandell, Carr is close enough and proven in the ACC, throw in the fact the Matz provides depth when Oturu, Murph and Curry all inevitably get in foul trouble vs teams like Sparty, Purdue and Wisconsin. I'd take what we have if Carr can play this year

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Not true. I posted this in another thread a while back.

Over Geno's three years, he has played 11 times against teams either from a major conference or teams that made the NCAA tournament that year. These include 2015 @Wisconsin, 2016 @Iowa, 2016 vs 2 seed Arizona, 2017 @#5 Gonzaga, @Nebraska, 2017 @Creighton and 2015 Big Sky champ Weber State (x3) and 2017 Big Sky champ Montana (x3). His numbers in those 11 games are as follows, 14.1 PPG, 4 .1 RPG, 3.9 APG, 2.1 SPG, 40% from the field and a whopping 60% from three. 24-40 from three in those 11 games.

Not true. I posted this in another thread a while back.

Over Geno's three years, he has played 11 times against teams either from a major conference or teams that made the NCAA tournament that year. These include 2015 @Wisconsin, 2016 @Iowa, 2016 vs 2 seed Arizona, 2017 @#5 Gonzaga, @Nebraska, 2017 @Creighton and 2015 Big Sky champ Weber State (x3) and 2017 Big Sky champ Montana (x3). His numbers in those 11 games are as follows, 14.1 PPG, 4 .1 RPG, 3.9 APG, 2.1 SPG, 40% from the field and a whopping 60% from three. 24-40 from three in those 11 games.
You are comparing 11 games played over a 3-year span (Crandall) versus 20+ games against HM competition in one season (Carr)? And there's no comparison between a Big Sky team (don't care if they won the league) and a HM. I'm taking the younger guard whos consistently proven himself over the course of an entire season against better competition.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Crandall was also very good in 2016 when Hooker was "the guy" and still pretty solid in 2015 when he was the third/fourth option. It's a lot easier from going from being "the guy" to not the guy than the other way around. He's proven he can do either both against good and bad competition.

You could also say the jury is still out on if Stockman will even be better than Konate and if Carr can still be productive even if he isn't top 3 in minutes on the team like last year.

This is becoming a really tired argument on Gopherhole. Stockman doesn't have to play the entire game. He just has to provide depth this year, that's it. Louisville, Minnesota, and Cal all wanted this guy at some point. You are making it sound like he's the worst center in all of college basketball. Enough already with this.

You are comparing 11 games played over a 3-year span (Crandall) versus 20+ games against HM competition in one season (Carr)? And there's no comparison between a Big Sky team (don't care if they won the league) and a HM. I'm taking the younger guard whos consistently proven himself over the course of an entire season against better competition.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So you think Carr would have put up the numbers that Crandall did if he played for UND last year? I say he wouldn't have.

You also think Crandall wouldn't have been able to put up better numbers than Carr did on that horrid Pitt team last year? I say he would have.

This is becoming a really tired argument on Gopherhole. Stockman doesn't have to play the entire game. He just has to provide depth this year, that's it. Louisville, Minnesota, and Cal all wanted this guy at some point. You are making it sound like he's the worst center in all of college basketball. Enough already with this.

I am?

All I said is that the jury is still out on Stockman in response to Alchemy2u saying the jury is still out regarding whether Crandall can excel while not being the guy. My point was that you can't have it both ways. Either the jury is still out on Crandall and Stockman and Carr for that matter too or not out for any of them

For the record, I do believe Stockman will be better than Konate and am expecting him to be a solid backup center. I have stated this multiple times since last year and in my evaluations of him over the year, I have stated he is a similar level defender and rebounder with much better touch around the basket. I just don't think it's fair to assume that while at the at the same time saying the jury is still out on Crandall.

Last edited:

Top Bottom