ESPNW: Mechelle Voepel on WNBA Salaries

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/24247429/why-increasing-wnba-player-salaries-more-complex-think

Hours before taking the court for Saturday's All-Star Game, WNBA players met for breakfast and a civics lesson at a downtown Minneapolis hotel. The Women's National Basketball Players Association was announcing a partnership with Rock The Vote.

The players listened to a presentation about what they could do to increase voter registration and the dangers of voter suppression. Serious topics before the fun of an exhibition game, but there was something else heavy on their minds.

"Are we going to talk about the CBA, too?" Phoenix's Diana Taurasi asked.

With that, media were excused from the conference room, and the All-Stars and union head Terri Jackson discussed the WNBA's collective bargaining agreement for about 30 minutes. The current CBA went into effect in March 2014 and runs through October 2021. However, both the league and the union have the right to opt out and terminate the agreement after the 2019 season. Either side has until Oct. 31 of this year to exercise that opt-out provision...

...The almost year-round playing schedule has been the way things are since the WNBA began in 1997. With the relatively short window of an athletic career, players go overseas to earn as much money as they can. A lot of them have earned more in leagues outside the United States than they have in the WNBA, but that has always had its ups and downs, too.

Right now, agents acknowledge, the overseas market is down. A rule change in South Korea about the number of foreigners allowed has cut that number from 12 per team to six. One of the top teams in Turkey surprised everyone by folding recently -- after some prominent WNBA players signed contracts to play there this winter. They were left scrambling to find other jobs.

"Now, you have a handful of teams that pay really well, but the average salaries have gone down," said Ticha Penicheiro, a native of Portugal who played in the WNBA for 15 years before becoming a player agent. "And then you have a league like in France, which is run well and very professional, but their season goes into June. So players can't go there and be back in time for the WNBA season."...

...This season, the maximum veteran salary is $115,500, not including potential bonuses. The league minimum for a player with two or fewer years of service is $41,202; for three or more years of service, the minimum is $56,100. Rookies are on a scale from $40,000-$50,000.

Each team is allowed $54,000 in bonus money to award at its discretion to players for not playing overseas. Teams can give all the money to one player or spread it out among several. There are bonuses for awards such as league MVP ($15,000), All-WNBA first team ($10,000) and second team ($5,000). Bonus money for playoff appearances ranges from a little more than $1,000 per player for a first-round loss to just more than $11,000 a piece for winning the championship.

The women deserve more money, at least living wages plus a little extra without killing the league. There seems to be a rise in popularity.

The importance of Minnesota (whose attendance averaged 10.7K since its inception), LA, Connecticut, and Seattle in bringing and keeping attendance levels and interest up and the survival of the league is incalculable. Now, Las Vegas is added and there is also more parity in the league.

I feel for the players. They don't want to demand too much that it will kill the league. However, I expect things to change and finally the WNBA will have long term survival and increasing popularity. There is more parity in the league which add more fan interest. The WNBA All-Star game at the Target Center was well-attended.

http://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-scores-highest-attendance-six-years-record-breaking-season/

Last edited:

$40,000 to play 5 months of basketball seems reasonable. What's the average salary for a kid coming out of college and starting at a company. It can't be much more than 40K.

Bottom line is economics. Who knows what the owners are really making. I doubt Taylor would be honest about it. Sure the Lynx are doing reasonably well with attendance, but how many of them are freebies and low price? Basketball players are in a tough spot in a sense. Do you take a job that may be around for a long time or do you hook on with a team where you might play only for a year or two (mainly talking about fringe players)?

Last night's cancellation of the Mystics/Aces games is an example of another issue Voepel's article mentioned-flying commercial:

"And, of course, how teams travel," Jackson said.

She was referring to teams' flying coach -- franchises aren't allowed to charter even if they want to

https://www.sbnation.com/wnba/2018/8/3/17650082/aces-cancel-forfeit-game-mystics-wnba

The Las Vegas Aces chose not to play in a Friday night game on the road against the Washington Mystics, the team announced just hours after the WNBA made the cancellation official.

The Aces suffered through several delayed flights in their journey from Vegas to D.C., forcing the team into a sleepless, 24-hour trip to the nation’s capital. WNBA teams fly commercial like you or I rather than flying chartered planes, which explains why they had so much trouble traveling...

...“I empathize but I don’t sympathize,” Mystics head coach Mike Thibault told SB Nation.

“I talked to [Vegas Aces head coach] Bill [Laimbeer] earlier in the day and they were [in D.C.] Thibault said. “They should’ve showed up. It’s that simple to me. Every team in every sport goes through a day like this or two days like this somewhere in a one- or two-year period. It happens. It’s happened to me in this league several times, the NBA, the CBA. There wasn’t a snowstorm, they got here.

Bottom line is economics. Who knows what the owners are really making. I doubt Taylor would be honest about it. Sure the Lynx are doing reasonably well with attendance, but how many of them are freebies and low price? Basketball players are in a tough spot in a sense. Do you take a job that may be around for a long time or do you hook on with a team where you might play only for a year or two (mainly talking about fringe players)?

I am guessing that they make a profit enough to make the Lynx a successful franchise. They won't tell you how much they make.

There are 34 games in a season. That means 17 home games. Ticket prices are $22 to $75 plus with a few VIP tickets. The average home game attendance depending on who is counting is ~10407 in 2017, second in attendance behind the LA Sparks.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2017/09/06/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/WNBA.aspx

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/12/06/for-the-wnba-business-isnt-as-bad-as-it-looks/?utm_term=.17b6dd29108e

What about internet money? Give us some of that money.

Top Bottom